Improve the insulation of a house

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
stone
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Improve the insulation of a house

by stone » 17/10/21, 11:10

Hello,

I want to know all the insulation points to check in a home.

I find that the invoice is too large!

Thank you
0 x
SixK
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Re: Improve the insulation of a house

by SixK » 18/10/21, 01:41

You can start by looking at all the stray air passages.
Just run your hand at the electrical outlets / switch / electrical conduits ...
If you smell air, you can inject silicone, polyurethane foam or acrylic sealant into the sheath that carries the wires. (no need to put in tons, it just needs to clog)

If you have wooden beams in a room that go up to the attic, it's rarely waterproof.
You can put a little silicone or acrylic sealant on it.

Check the air passages and the insulation at the level of the inspection hatch (put a seal if the air passes and a little insulation on the hatch if possible)

Limit air movements between living rooms and "cold" rooms (stairs, garage, etc.)
In our case, we put a curtain between the living room and the entrance with stairwell. We didn't want to put doors.
We felt much better.

If electric heating, install a programmer to heat the different zones in "comfort" mode at the times it is necessary (up, down, ...)

Watching your roof when it is frost is a good indicator of the points of loss, if it is melted it is because the hot air is passing / or there are defects in the insulation of the attic (if you have any).

You can check the attic insulation if you have any. 2x20cm of glass wool placed crosswise, it is a good base, there are other materials and other techniques. Generally speaking, the height of insulation is required.

If you have a fireplace, you must at least install an insert. Preferably, take it BBC (waterproof) to take the air outside the house.

Check the air passages at the windows. If there are vents on your windows, put a humidity sensitive vent. (be careful, it can be adjusted, not enough just to put it down)
Humidity-controlled vents on the CMV are probably a good idea too.

Roller shutters on all windows.

It is probably far from exhaustive (I let the others complete).
In general, it is better to invest in insulation than in heating.
0 x
Optimists invented airplanes, parachutes pessimistic. George Bernard Shaw.
Thought personal, I understand better why the big bosses invented the golden parachute.
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 18/10/21, 02:26

Double glazing.
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 18/10/21, 19:53

GuyGadeboisLeRetour wrote:Double glazing.
If the windows are in good condition, custom renovation double glazing is done that can be installed either ...
0 x
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by phil59 » 19/10/21, 20:56

GuyGadeboisLeRetour wrote:Double glazing.

Yes, but it is often what comes almost last.

9/10, it's not the priority, if the doors are in good condition!
0 x
hmmmmm, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm, huh, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

: Oops: : Cry: :( : Shock:
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 23/10/21, 10:47

Hello,

Can we see the Pierren invoice?
0 x
Mae-thurine-04
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Mae-thurine-04 » 03/03/22, 10:11

Hi, to improve your interior insulation you have many solutions, however not all of them have the same budget! If you have a small budget and you don't want to do any work, then you have to turn to alternative tools that will help you simply insulate your house effectively; How to do ? I give you some keys!

First, you can install insulating curtains on your windows, in order to converse a maximum of heat in your interior. This inexpensive solution is a great choice and it really works! I used thermal curtains for many years because I didn't have the budget to invest in high-performance glazing (being under study).

Secondly, you absolutely must invest in door legs if you haven't already done so, because it avoids cold drafts and believe me, your home will only be more comfortable! Plus it costs nothing!

Third, and with a slightly larger budget, I advise you to buy a rug, you wouldn't believe it at first sight, but it's quite effective in countering the cold of the tiles that comes from your floor! Because yes, the cold doesn't fit down there either!

Clearly you must do everything to succeed in countering the places and areas where the cold is likely to enter! Finally, if you really have had a substantial budget and want better insulation in the long term, do like me and opt for comfortable double glazing! I found it browsing the internet https://www.glassfonster.fr/double-vitr ... -24mm.html and since then I no longer have any problems with my insulation!

Here we hope to have been able to help you with different solutions (for all budgets).

Bonne journée.
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 03/03/22, 11:04

Double glazing.
If the windows are in good condition, custom renovation double glazing is done that can be installed either ...

Double glazing involves very thin air gaps between sheets of glass. So delta T° with high/unfavorable coefficients.

This is why, even if it produces a noticeable effect, the renovation of windows by installing additional glazed frames is a plaster on a wooden leg. Argon gas PVC double windows are incomparably superior in insulation performance (experiment made at home, I had both).
0 x
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by phil59 » 03/03/22, 11:34

Sure, but with a small budget, it's easier ....

Even an exterior and interior plastic sheet improves the insulation somewhat, with a minimal cost price, and everyone is capable of doing so. It's not extraordinary the gain, but a few small %, for an almost negligible cost, but to be renewed each year....

Solution far from ideal.

18 years ago, I put double glazing with argon, it's better .... I regret not having used triple ...
1 x
hmmmmm, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm, huh, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

: Oops: : Cry: :( : Shock:
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 03/03/22, 12:16

Ah yes, yes, the plastic sheet (cellophane of the type used to wrap flowers) is very very good. To try but more insulating than glass, because cellophane is not conductive (unlike glass which is very conductive) and what insulates is the trapped air layer (2 the es if you put a second film outside). And to renew indeed, because the film crumbles and the glue of the scotch tape becomes difficult to remove after one year it fuses on the wood.

As long as we are there in the “do it yourself” we must put hollow body joints by ensuring that the small bead of air inside is well joined at the intersection. The best (and only good ones) have a “d” shaped “cup” shape

E2D01B07-0FEE-4A60-A7AD-7F1D39C6B76A.jpeg
E2D01B07-0FEE-4A60-A7AD-7F1D39C6B76A.jpeg (459.27 Kio) Consulté 3888 fois

Why hollow body and not the cheaper flat gaskets? For several reasons:

The air passes through the flat foam joints, in particular at each vertical/horizontal intersection (since they can hardly be made to follow right angles, under penalty of a hardly desirable stretching / thickening in the contours), and joints hardly hermetic.

Because the hollow body joints are very superior since they can easily and must be posed all the way around and end in a bevel to block the mini air duct they contain in order to make them hermetic (every detail counts to have a "gain")

Because the hollow body seals do not let anything through, either they are flattened, or they unfold in the interstices if they exist, which ensures continuity and a perfect AND REQUIRED tightness of insulation.

For doors and windows and to be put everywhere (just as if you put cellophane film, you have to put it everywhere too (the insulation performance of the whole will be penalized by its weak link, (not to be forgotten for example an air duct in the bathroom or in the kitchen that must be sealed with foam when heated) It goes without saying but so much better by saying it!

The same applies to the entrance door thresholds, which if they do not exist see the hot air escaping from below the door.
Fortunately (in addition to the “d” joint) there is this : Arrowd:

FFB8749B-9978-42B5-8BD4-E835167A95FD.jpeg
FFB8749B-9978-42B5-8BD4-E835167A95FD.jpeg (262.28 KiB) Accessed 3888 times

This must obviously overlap with the “d” joint,
0 x