Winter vegetables - Feedback?

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Bobinsana
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Winter vegetables - Feedback?

by Bobinsana » 15/10/21, 09:22

Hello,
I started the work on Winter Cultures, by Wolfgang Palme, which you no doubt know.

He mentions that winter crops require protection against precipitation, such as frames. I find it hard to understand how this can fit in with the sloth's vegetable garden system.

In short, in winter cultivation, is it absolutely necessary to cover the plantations? What is the system for this that seems most suitable to you, with the principle of using the vegetable garden method of the sloth, of course.

Thanks in advance !
1 x
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Re: Winter vegetables - Feedback?

by Doris » 15/10/21, 12:55

I find it hard to understand, where do you see a problem? Protecting crops is not contrary to the lazy way of gardening. I don't have a lot of winter vegetable garden experience yet, but this is how I did last winter, in an oceanic climate:
- lettuce and chicory, planted in the fall, remained unprotected, except for ten days, when I had -8 ° every night (rare at home). They were only very fleeting protections, basically I protected with mulch. Everything passed the winter well, except some lettuce, which rotted due to heavy precipitation (rain and hail) in January. Next winter I plan to have crates of vegetables collected at work plus a tarpaulin, to protect more, if such bad weather repeats itself.
-root vegetables, mainly celeriac, received a hat during the ten days of cold, hat in the form of a wintering veil and a greenhouse cover. Under this protection even at minus eight degrees, I maintained a temperature between -2 and +1
-the beans went through everything without problem and without any protection, the same for the cabbages
For next winter I will continue on the same line, except to protect, if necessary, more against heavy precipitation. My soil is sandy and very draining, but the water table is not very far away, at 1,5m there is water at home, so if it rains constantly as in early 2021, it can bring me the rotting.
0 x
"Enter only with your heart, bring nothing from the world.
And don't tell what people say "
Edmond Rostand
Bobinsana
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Bobinsana » 15/10/21, 20:26

@doris: MErci for the answer!

To clarify, it is only on the chassis that I imagine a problem. It seems heavy to me, and above all an irremovable element.
For the rest, in fact, I did not see any concern either.

But really thank you for the details provided. I plan to cultivate this winter, and this is the first time for me.
0 x
Biobomb
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Biobomb » 15/10/21, 22:35

Bobinsana wrote:@doris: MErci for the answer!

To clarify, it is only on the chassis that I imagine a problem. It seems heavy to me, and above all an irremovable element.
For the rest, in fact, I did not see any concern either.

But really thank you for the details provided. I plan to cultivate this winter, and this is the first time for me.

If it is very cold and suddenly, then there is danger for the vegetables, especially if there is no snow.
The frames, I have several and they are all light and removable. They protect from freezing rain if their roof is in place.
The roof is rarely completely closed; air must absolutely circulate.
Under the frames I only have salads, the other vegetables remain in place on their growing location but are partially protected by a cover of hay + dead leaves.
0 x