Windows 11, the software obsolescence par excellence! Intel 8th gen or Ryzen 2000 mandatory ...

Consumption and sustainable and responsible diet tips daily to reduce energy and water consumption, waste ... Eat: preparations and recipes, find healthy food, seasonal and local conservation information food ...
Christophe

Windows 11, the software obsolescence par excellence! Intel 8th gen or Ryzen 2000 mandatory ...

by Christophe » 01/09/21, 10:43

Before the multinationals tried to hide more or less well their practice of planned obsolescence ... hardware or software ... now we are even more hiding !! No kidding !

I say obligatory ... but it is almost because it will be a "degraded" operation ... let's say that it is a de facto obligation like the covid vaccination! : Cheesy:

(...) only the newer machines will be entitled to the update to the new Windows 11 operating system.

Under Intel, the computer will have to have an 8th generation processor, at least, while, under AMD, it will have to be equipped with a Ryzen 2000 or a second generation Epyc, at a minimum.

A few 7th Generation Intel processors have recently been added to the list, so that some Microsoft Surface products can be updated. But, for now, older devices are not supported, even if they were sometimes released to the market two or three years ago.

8th generation is a bit 2017 but especially 2018, any PC BEFORE this date will therefore be "good to throw" in the long term ... (but Windows 10 will be maintained for a few more years eh ...)

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_des_microprocesseurs_Intel#Coffee_Lake_(8e_g%C3%A9n%C3%A9ration)

Source: Clubic

See or review these 2 reports: sustainable-consumption / industrial-obsolescence-the-story-of-deception-t9854.html

Or here :

https://www.econologie.com/telechargeme ... rogrammee/
https://www.econologie.com/pret-jeter-a ... e-recente/
https://www.econologie.com/obsolescence ... aspillage/
1 x
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Windows 11, the ultimate software obsolescence! Intel 8th gen or Ryzen 2000 mandatory ...

by phil59 » 01/09/21, 19:44

Apple has often made a clean sweep of previous versions.

Only microsoft has kept a minimum of compatibility (except unix, linux).

What makes Windows has become a gas factory ...

I worked under ms-dos 2.11 and windows 2.3 ...

At work, there are still a year, I still had a few pc in Windows XP .. we gave up, for security reasons, quite simply.

Currently, to replace turntables, pc, we put rapsberry PI4, 2 video outputs, and remote desktop to a windows server ...

About 100 €, against 300 € for a more or less correct turntable.

When you have more than 50 workstations to manage, that makes money .... (we are in the 70s, approximately).

The cost of changing a server, by itself, is not very expensive.
On the other hand, the licenses .... That's another story.

I drag the servers as long as possible, taking a little bigger at the start, the last office server is from 2013, with 32 GB of ram, and appears as if there were 24 "cores" ...

Today, we will soon change it, for reasons of safety and speed. At the time, I paid around € 5500 for it ....

If it is to have a system that is a little lighter, more responsive, why not ....
0 x
hmmmmm, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm, huh, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

: Oops: : Cry: :( : Shock:
Exnihiloest
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Windows 11, finally we get rid of software balls

by Exnihiloest » 01/09/21, 21:34

Christophe wrote:Before the multinationals tried to hide more or less well their practice of planned obsolescence ... hardware or software ... now we are even more hiding !! No kidding !

I say obligatory ... but it is almost because it will be a "degraded" operation ... let's say that it is a de facto obligation like the covid vaccination! : Cheesy:

(...) only the newer machines will be entitled to the update to the new Windows 11 operating system.

Under Intel, the computer will have to have an 8th generation processor, at least, while, under AMD, it will have to be equipped with a Ryzen 2000 or a second generation Epyc, at a minimum.

A few 7th Generation Intel processors have recently been added to the list, so that some Microsoft Surface products can be updated. But, for now, older devices are not supported, even if they were sometimes released to the market two or three years ago.

Doing occasional development, I've always been faced with the need to stay compatible with a lot of old machines, and that's to the detriment of performance.
Newer microprocessors have phenomenal new instruction sets, but you can't use them fully to stay compatible. The result is that we penalize the user, who for heavy apps will have a software that lags despite an oversized processor, and we penalize the developer who, if he wants performance, will have to do different tests and routines. depending on the machine to be used, which will also turn against the user by the additional cost of development (and the increase in bugs), including for the development of the OS.
It's a real pain.

From Windows 7 (2009) to Windows 10, there have been only facelifts. There comes a time when you have to make a clean sweep of the past. It has already been done in the past. Windows 10 does not run on an 8086 it seems to me.
Your PC is not compatible with Windows 11, you stick with Windows 10 and when a new app will exclusively require Windows 11 (which the developers can justify), you will equip yourself with a new PC if you really want to.

It has much less to do with planned obsolescence than with the monitoring of hardware evolution by the OS, and the avoidance of gas factories in the OS because of the "history" for compatibility with junk, although obviously it will pay off for µSoft.
0 x
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 01/09/21, 21:39

Exnihiloest wrote:Newer microprocessors have phenomenal new instruction sets, but you can't use them fully to stay compatible.

No. It's just that you don't know how to do it.
0 x
Exnihiloest
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Exnihiloest » 01/09/21, 22:10

GuyGadeboisLeRetour wrote:
Exnihiloest wrote:Newer microprocessors have phenomenal new instruction sets, but you can't use them fully to stay compatible.

What a foolish thought!
Obviously we "know how to do" the same thing with the old instructions, but not at the same speed!
0 x
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 01/09/21, 22:11

Exnihiloest wrote:
GuyGadeboisLeRetour wrote:

What a foolish thought!
Obviously we "know how to do" the same thing with the old instructions, but not at the same speed!

CQFD, you don't know how to optimize W10 to take full advantage of your "modern" processor. : Mrgreen:
0 x
Exnihiloest
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Exnihiloest » 01/09/21, 23:17

GuyGadeboisLeRetour wrote:...
CQFD, you don't know how to optimize W10 to take full advantage of your "modern" processor. : Mrgreen:

I do.

But when you make software that anyone can use, you don't ask people to optimize their PCs so that they can properly use the program that is given or sold to them. Should they do this for every app they use ?!

In addition, the OS has nothing to do with it. When I develop directly in assembler for Intel µproc, eg. for real-time FFT calculations on 200 Mb / s streams, I don't use instructions beyond those of an average PC at least 5 years old, otherwise I'm sure that will crash with lots of users.
0 x
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by phil59 » 02/09/21, 12:31

GuyGadeboisLeRetour wrote:CQFD, you don't know how to optimize W10 to take full advantage of your "modern" processor. : Mrgreen:

We are talking about working, not just launching your browser to go to a forum.

You should go out a bit, guitounet, look to the right, to the left, and very far towards the horizon ...

In addition, a computer is not just about its processor.

And it is still the least efficient peripheral, which imposes the pace.
0 x
hmmmmm, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm, huh, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Windows 11, the ultimate software obsolescence! Intel 8th gen or Ryzen 2000 mandatory ...

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 02/09/21, 12:45

(And the other who is clairvoyant about the use I make of my PC ... : roll: )
1 x
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by phil59 » 03/09/21, 19:55

GuyGadeboisLeRetour wrote:(And the other who is clairvoyant about the use I make of my PC ... : roll: )

you have REASON !

I forgot, "insult", "denigrate", etc., the various stakeholders ....

You are really right ...

Mea culpa....
0 x

Back to "Sustainable consumption: responsible consumption, diet tips and tricks"