Sizing of rainwater tank

Work concerning plumbing or sanitary water (hot, cold, clean or used). Management, access and use of water at home: drilling, pumping, wells, distribution network, treatment, sanitation, rainwater recovery. Recovery, filtration, depollution, storage processes. Repair of water pumps. Manage, use and save water, desalination and desalination, pollution and water ...
Guigui95
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Sizing of rainwater tank

by Guigui95 » 12/04/21, 21:45

Hello to all,

I am building my house in the Val d'Oise.
The roof, once projected on the ground, will represent a surface of 116m². We are a family of 4, with an annual consumption of 150m3. When you think about it, it's huge! : Shock: And this although we are visibly average ... We should therefore be able to lower our consumption even if we are not yet ready for the dry toilet. In short...

I did a lot of documentation on the installation and the principles of filtration, in particular via the eautarcie site and the Pluvalor system ... But I stumbled on the sizing of the tank ...

By counting on a recoverable volume of around 67L, an annual consumption of 860L and an autonomy of 150 days, I came across a recommended tank volume of around 000m45.

In view of the increasingly dry summer months, I preferred to go on a 45-day battery life. What do you think?

In addition, do you advise me to go on a 10m3 tank, so that it overflows from time to time or on a 15m3 tank to promote storage and therefore autonomy?

Thank you in advance for your help!

0 x
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Sizing of rainwater tank

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 12/04/21, 22:10

Have you thought about the drilling option?
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 12/04/21, 22:16

it depends if it is to save money or if it is for the preservation of resources.
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 12/04/21, 22:27

Guigui95 wrote:Hello to all,

I am building my house in the Val d'Oise.
The roof, once projected on the ground, will represent a surface of 116m². We are a family of 4, with an annual consumption of 150m3. When you think about it, it's huge! : Shock: And this although we are visibly average ... We should therefore be able to lower our consumption even if we are not yet ready for the dry toilet. In short...

I did a lot of documentation on the installation and the principles of filtration, in particular via the eautarcie site and the Pluvalor system ... But I stumbled on the sizing of the tank ...

By counting on a recoverable volume of around 67L, an annual consumption of 860L and an autonomy of 150 days, I came across a recommended tank volume of around 000m45.

In view of the increasingly dry summer months, I preferred to go on a 45-day battery life. What do you think?

In addition, do you advise me to go on a 10m3 tank, so that it overflows from time to time or on a 15m3 tank to promote storage and therefore autonomy?

Thank you in advance for your help!

You do not say what you intend to do with this rainwater, while it is an important element for the sizing:
- the most basic, watering the garden, washing outdoor floors, car .....
- a little more sophisticated, watering + toilet flushing
- much more sophisticated and risky, washing uses (dishwasher, washing machine, shower, etc.)
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 13/04/21, 07:02

I have a 5000 liters connected to 60% of the same surface as you in central France (annual rainfall 680 mm) ... My family consumes about 110m3 per year this tank allows me to save 35 to 40 m3 depending on the year. ..I emptied and cleaned it in December, it allowed me to last 5 weeks in autonomy ... then the rains were scarce ... I had to go back to the network ...
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 13/04/21, 14:38

The heaviest problem I face: the coarse filtration before letting the water enter the tank .... Constantly unblocking ... Leaves, mosses, bird feathers .....
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 13/04/21, 22:55

It would be necessary to manufacture a sort of sieve whose rotation would be driven by the water entering the system.
0 x
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 13/04/21, 23:10

Macro wrote:The heaviest problem I face: the coarse filtration before letting the water enter the tank .... Constantly unblocking ... Leaves, mosses, bird feathers .....

You could adapt a "basket" like for swimming pools. You just have to empty it regularly. Not having visualized your installation, it is just what seems the simplest to me.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 13/04/21, 23:17

@ Macro: Rather than a basket, why not a "Chinese hat" (point up) or a grid with a simple slope which would let the waste evacuate in the periphery? The reaches of water mills are equipped with screens on a negative slope to avoid these accumulations which obstruct the filtering of the water.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 14/04/21, 00:00

Macro wrote:The heaviest problem I face: the coarse filtration before letting the water enter the tank .... Constantly unblocking ... Leaves, mosses, bird feathers .....
Hello,
from a diameter 100 rain collector and outlet at 50, I fixed a mosquito net "canvas" at the bottom of the gutter with connection to the central evacuation hole, so that all the leaves and pieces of moss that did not pass through not through the mosquito net are evacuated.
Since then, no more maintenance, the mosquito net is self-cleaning and only the filtered water goes to my tanks.

I made a rough drawing. The slope of the gutter is not shown.
Attachments
evacuRain.gif
evacuPluie.gif (5.64 KiB) Viewed 4423 times
0 x