First vegetable garden and first vegetable garden of the Lazy in the Allier

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
LobaLovo
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

First vegetable garden and first vegetable garden of the Lazy in the Allier

by LobaLovo » 24/03/21, 14:22

Hello everyone,

Small presentation station to explain our project (we are a couple) and the logbook of our vegetable garden (first time for me, Thibaut, 30 years old).

Ground:
* 2000 m2 around a pretty stone bourbonnaise, quite wooded with fruit trees, deciduous trees, a large pine (sick ...) and a weeping willow.

* (Very?) Clayey earth (I have not yet had the earth analyzed ...), which retains a lot of water (this winter the water filled the holes of old stumps and took several days to infiltrate) . Land never cultivated, so the advantage of starting from scratch with rich soil, but with the disadvantage of having well-rooted weeds (large clods of hair in particular) and very compact soil.

* Lots of earthenware! Even before a blanket was put in place, you could already see a lot of castings.

* Presence of a lot of '' wild '' biodiversity with different flowers, chives, daffodils ... Scattered on the ground.

Vegetable garden:

* At the moment about 150 m2. Installation in the fall of a cover without tillage with a layer of dead leaves (about 15cm) + woven tarpaulin in a roll. Some parts were only covered with dead leaves. Indeed, I discovered the Potager du Laesseux only two weeks ago ...

* For two weeks therefore, setting up gradually a thick layer of hay above the dead leaves.

* Desires to sow and plant all kinds of fruits and vegetables, especially tomatoes, peppers, strawberries, parsnips, cabbage, leeks, squash, as well as legumes, edible flowers, honey flowers.

My thoughts and questions:

I have finished the first volume of the PP, and am short of the second. I also take the time to look at all the information contained in the videos on Youtube.

We are fortunate to have a neighbor producing hay, in bales and round bales, we favor the short circuit.

I have a few questions, and I would be delighted to receive help from the various Internet users ...

* Concerning the non-working of the earth as well as its warming for a clay soil ... Didier evokes the possibility of removing the hay so that the earth warms up as well as a possible passage of grelinette in the second volume. Can I do it in this order ?:

1) Spread the hay for a few days in good weather so that the earth warms up (a few days? A few weeks?)
2) Passage of the grelinette in length and width to `` aerate '' the soil
3) Remove most of the weeds that are still present even after the fall cover
4) Put back the hay and start sowing and planting directly in this soil

* Regarding surface composting, can I put kitchen waste under the hay, on the surface? Or should they be put on the hay?

* When do we know when to add a layer of hay? Every 6 months? Or every season?

* I already see traces and galleries of voles in and under my cover of dead leaves and hay ... Do you know if the technique of the rod and the bottle to make noise is really effective? And that of the crushed garlic in the galleries? I prefer to start warning before installing all my plants ...

Thank you very much to all those who will take the time to read us and / or advise us.

We are in a process of preserving biodiversity as well as soil aggregation, and it is with immense pleasure that we discovered this `` technique '' as well as the content of Didier and all those promoting this type. of culture.

Looking forward to chat with you.

Thibaut
3 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: First vegetable garden and first vegetable garden of the Lazy in the Allier

by Moindreffor » 24/03/21, 15:49

hi and welcome
the first thing to remember is that you do everything as you feel, here there are no rules

warming the soil, it's useful if you're in a hurry otherwise, well it will eventually heat up, I personally prefer to sow in a terrine and transplant in a bucket than to sow in the ground and have to have a warmer soil

when to put back hay, there is a choice, you want to keep a dead cover in winter you put back hay as soon as you see too many weeds to your liking, if you want a living cover in winter you do not add more and you let the greenery grow : Mrgreen: you will add hay the following year, you can even remove hay to sow chews, spinach, turnips, radishes at the end of summer ...

and last point, be patient, but from the first year we see the difference, but as you have no reference to compare, well you will see that in the second year, so this year, tell yourself that you can try anything and observe ... and you create your point of reference

above all, I wish you lots of fun in your vegetable garden, oh yes, important point don't forget the altar in the shade to daydream ...
1 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Rajqawee
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Rajqawee » 24/03/21, 15:49

LobaLovo wrote:Hello everyone,

Vegetable garden:

* At the moment about 150 m2. Installation in the fall of a cover without tillage with a layer of dead leaves (about 15cm) + woven tarpaulin in a roll. Some parts were only covered with dead leaves. Indeed, I discovered the Potager du Laesseux only two weeks ago ...

* For two weeks therefore, setting up gradually a thick layer of hay above the dead leaves.

* Desires to sow and plant all kinds of fruits and vegetables, especially tomatoes, peppers, strawberries, parsnips, cabbage, leeks, squash, as well as legumes, edible flowers, honey flowers.

My thoughts and questions:

* Regarding surface composting, can I put kitchen waste under the hay, on the surface? Or should they be put on the hay?

* When do we know when to add a layer of hay? Every 6 months? Or every season?

Thibaut

Welcome!

Surface composting can be done anywhere. It will go slightly faster under the hay, in a dry period (because it stays wet longer underneath, promoting degradation), otherwise, it does not change much. It has the merit of "hiding" the peelings and the like, if we find that unsightly.

The renewal of the ground cover will depend on your objectives, and this in particular for the management of the grass cover. So it depends on what you want to do, and the weeds that will grow in your home. It also depends on the climate, since when it is cold and / or very dry, the decomposition of OM slows down noticeably.
Basically, put it back when it's not enough, and the most enough depends on what you are trying to accomplish :)
For me, it was about every 6/8 months, not very thick, because in Corsica (dry, soil life slowed down from June).
1 x
LobaLovo
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by LobaLovo » 24/03/21, 17:07

Moindreffor wrote:hi and welcome
the first thing to remember is that you do everything as you feel, here there are no rules

warming the soil, it's useful if you're in a hurry otherwise, well it will eventually heat up, I personally prefer to sow in a terrine and transplant in a bucket than to sow in the ground and have to have a warmer soil

when to put back hay, there is a choice, you want to keep a dead cover in winter you put back hay as soon as you see too many weeds to your liking, if you want a living cover in winter you do not add more and you let the greenery grow : Mrgreen: you will add hay the following year, you can even remove hay to sow chews, spinach, turnips, radishes at the end of summer ...

and last point, be patient, but from the first year we see the difference, but as you have no reference to compare, well you will see that in the second year, so this year, tell yourself that you can try anything and observe ... and you create your point of reference

above all, I wish you lots of fun in your vegetable garden, oh yes, important point don't forget the altar in the shade to daydream ...

Thank you very much for your response Moindreffor!

I recognize two faults of my personality: I am quite impatient (even though I am a sinner ...) and I tend to want to do everything `` perfectly '' : Cheesy:

Indeed, I realize that the transplanting in bucket gives less risk relative to the temperature of the soil. We mix the two, direct sowing and transplanting, but I keep your advice in mind.

Ok for the diaper. How long does it take, in general, for the weeds to die if we put a good 20cm of hay in the month of March? The idea of ​​living cover pleases me a lot ...

And yes, this year it's test + test + test! Without any expectations!

The lounger will be under a big and beautiful apple tree, just below the pull-up bar, I'm a sports sloth : Lol:

Welcome!

Surface composting can be done anywhere. It will go slightly faster under the hay, in a dry period (because it stays wet longer underneath, promoting degradation), otherwise, it does not change much. It has the merit of "hiding" the peelings and the like, if we find that unsightly.

The renewal of the ground cover will depend on your objectives, and this in particular for the management of the grass cover. So it depends on what you want to do, and the weeds that will grow in your home. It also depends on the climate, since when it is cold and / or very dry, the decomposition of OM slows down noticeably.
Basically, put it back when it's not enough, and the most enough depends on what you are trying to accomplish :)
For me, it was about every 6/8 months, not very thick, because in Corsica (dry, soil life slowed down from June).

Thank you for your feedback Rajqawee!

You are right in it, Madame will appreciate that the remains are not visible : Cheesy:

Perfect for the thickness, I already see a lot of weeds pushing back through the layer of dead leaves that I had put in at the end of October ... So I will not hesitate to put it back!

PS: some small pictures of the project

0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 24/03/21, 20:16

ah yes not bad that makes you want, a beautiful and flat ground
1 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 24/03/21, 22:11

LobaLovo, welcome! :P
You write:
I'm quite impatient (even though I'm a sinner ...

We are all fishermen ... : roll:
A beautiful soil, already well structured, rich in organic matter and popular with earthworms: what more could you ask for? : Oops:
1 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 25/03/21, 07:31

LobaLovo wrote:* I already see traces and galleries of voles in and under my cover of dead leaves and hay ... Do you know if the technique of the rod and the bottle to make noise is really effective? And that of the crushed garlic in the galleries? I prefer to start warning before installing all my plants ...

Hello and welcome,
The internet is stuffed with miracle solutions to combat vole, but none of them work. The vole is an extremely clever beast, if it didn't cause so much damage it would deserve all our admiration. Also to be forgotten are all the solutions to live with him, like cultivating more to share, it is not possible with him. The only solution is trapping. Some people use topcat traps, which are quite expensive, I have always used mole traps (putange, I believe, that's their real name), you can find them between three and five euros. Unfortunately, voles cannot be part of our biodiversity system, it is either them, or our vegetable garden.
Good luck and good fun above all
1 x
"Enter only with your heart, bring nothing from the world.
And don't tell what people say "
Edmond Rostand
Rajqawee
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Rajqawee » 25/03/21, 10:17

LobaLovo wrote:
Thank you for your feedback Rajqawee!

You are right in it, Madame will appreciate that the remains are not visible : Cheesy:

Some don't care - like Didier - but for others it's important. And if it's important to your wife, then don't hesitate! Ditto for any children.
A garden that we find pretty (it is therefore quite personal), it is a garden in which we go more willingly. It's also a place where you feel good, and where you feel less like working than having a good time.
In a garden, there are also gardeners, don't forget them :)
1 x
LobaLovo
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by LobaLovo » 25/03/21, 12:38

Moindreffor wrote:ah yes not bad that makes you want, a beautiful and flat ground

Thank you! We bought the house without really knowing what the land was like, we'll see what it looks like ...

A beautiful soil, already well structured, rich in organic matter and popular with earthworms: what more could you ask for? : Oops:

Thank you for your comment Ahmed. I do not know if it is well structured, in any case it is very compact : Cheesy:

But I must admit that we are quite positive and delighted about its potential ...

Some people use topcat traps, which are quite expensive, I have always used mole traps (putange, I believe, that's their real name), you can find them between three and five euros.

Thanks Doris for your advice, I'll go find some!

A garden that we find pretty (it is therefore quite personal), it is a garden in which we go more willingly. It's also a place where you feel good, and where you feel less like working than having a good time.
In a garden, there are also gardeners, don't forget them :)

Totally agree! Practicing meditation, I find a lot of well-being there, especially in recent days with a certain letting go as to wanting '' to do too well '' ...

And Spring is coming, so it makes you smile even more!
0 x
LobaLovo
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by LobaLovo » 29/03/21, 08:33

We continue to add hay, and to ask questions ...

Test on part of the vegetable garden, with a single pass of the grelinette in length, then installation of a layer of hay of about 20cm. This part was covered since the beginning of November by a layer of dead leaves, small branches, and a woven tarpaulin. I removed everything to replace only with hay.

ImageImage

I have other strips covered with dead leaves, do you think I can '' just '' add straw on top, or would it be better to replace the layer of dead leaves with hay? (dilemma between not breaking the mychorises, and adding a more nutritious element for the soil ...)

Also, I realize that under the tarpaulin, there are '' galleries '' in the grass, visible, without being in the ground. I discovered a colony of field mice in a wood pile yesterday not far from the vegetable garden, will they bother me? ...

Installation of a few strawberries, first plantings in the vegetable garden of the sloth!
0 x