Oil heating and wood stove

Help and advice for all work carried out in self building and presentation of your work DIY or self-build. Because making oneself is often econological but beware overconfidence!
Mister_Ash
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Oil heating and wood stove

by Mister_Ash » 25/07/20, 18:22

Good morning all .

While waiting to be able to finance a heat pump, I will have to continue with an oil-fired boiler for this winter.
And the amount of fuel oil spikes !!
Indeed it is an old farmhouse not super insulated and despite a new insulation of the attic I risk to soften anyway.
There is however a possibility I think. Indeed the living room is equipped with a wood stove and I was wondering if there was a possibility to make a coil to - either introduce into the fireplace - or around the exit of the stove which would go back to the connections of a radiator (instead of the latter therefore)
The boiler is a Chappée Mutine N which does DHW also there is already an expansion tank on the side. The circulator only operates permanently when the heating mode is activated. This makes me say that there shouldn't be any overheating or overpressure problem in the circuit if something goes wrong.

So do you think this is possible? Do you already have examples maybe?

Thank you in advance for your answers .
0 x
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Oil heating and wood stove

by phil59 » 25/07/20, 19:33

I bought a wood boiler stove directly.

You can find some on the "coin-coin", being patient, and this is the right season for that, for less than 500 €.

Mine, new, I got it for 1500 €.

You will need a buffer tank, strongly recommended. I found one, still on the corner, for 100 €, a 500L.

On the stove, it will be necessary to put a safety valve, which will empty the water circuit, and will fill it with cold water. It is necessary to take a new one, security obliges, less than 100 €.

2-3 wheelbarrows of courage, you will need! : Cheesy:

it works pretty well, me it's 8.5 kW in air, and 7.5 in water ....

(I have an old building of more than 1000 m3 to heat, ceiling at 3.2m, etc.). The stove is not sufficient, but provides a good back-up.
My gas boiler gives about 50 kW, non modulating, and the buffer tank also helps with that.

I also installed a heat pump not long ago, from OCCAZ .... You can find it for a price, take a model with an independent exchanger ....

So much for the biggest ....
0 x
hmmmmm, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm, huh, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

: Oops: : Cry: :( : Shock:
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 26/07/20, 07:56

1000m2 ... The cow actually a stove should not be enough .... : Cheesy:

And for Mister-h ... the coil in the stove ... you're going to break your head for not much ... To heat a house it is not fuel wood, gas, electricity. must .... It's calories ... Unless you have a free resource of wood ... Heating a colander will always cost you approximately the same price regardless of the energy used ...
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
belladonna
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by belladonna » 26/07/20, 08:58

0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 26/07/20, 09:11

a collector on the flue ... Given the exchange surface ... a bandage on a wooden leg ...

If you have free wood ... A bit of plumbing knowledge .... And you're not looking at the aesthetics of your stove ... You throw this thing in the middle of the living room connected to your pipes of heating : Cheesy:
https://www.leboncoin.fr/bricolage/1820486918.htm/

This will not prevent that if you need 5000litres of fuel to pass the winter you will need the same energy equivalent in wood ... That is to say about 10 times more in weight .... (unless your oil-fired boiler heats the drafts in an uninsulated outside room)
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
A.D. 44
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by A.D. 44 » 26/07/20, 10:38

Hello,

Macro wrote:1000m2 ... The cow actually a stove should not be enough .... : Cheesy:

Do not confuse surface and volume.
0 x
Mister_Ash
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Mister_Ash » 26/07/20, 11:38

My goal is only to lower the fuel consumption while waiting for a new heating system, not to create a permanent fuel / wood system.
The stove being in the living room at the end of the house, there is not enough air circulation to heat the house (it's a shame that it heats well)
0 x
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by phil59 » 26/07/20, 15:33

stove.jpg
poele.jpg (57.6 KiB) Viewed 4342 times

That's what I took, but there's a bunch of models ...

I saw a few around the corner yesterday, to see in your area, including one that gave 5 kW to the air, and 10 to the water.

But all the stuff you will find (coil, etc), at best, you will have 2 kW in water, so just for a radiator, or 2 small ...

Macro, do you still have your oil burner, and after a few years, what does it look like?

For 500-1000 € of investment, and if you have cheap wood, it can pay off very quickly.

Afterwards, wood is a bit of work, and you have to be able to feed it constantly.

The pellet, can be cooler, but much more expensive in investment, pellet in hydro, of course.

The heat pump, I took, because posed, it cost me 2000 €, because I had everything I needed, "by chance", for easy installation.

When I say by chance, it is only one meter from where it is, I had planned for something else an electrical arrival in 6mm2, not far in "gas" pipes to install the exchanger not far from the boiler, and I already had all the connections planned to be transplanted above, which I had made when I had made the connections for the boiler stove and the buffer tank .... OCCAZ pump, of course.

At 2000 €, I think I will make it profitable between 2 and 4 years ....

Pumps, you can find around 300 €, without exchanger, that you connect to your direct heating, but it is not a good performance.

Below about 5 °, I don't think my pump will turn, to be determined exactly with use.
0 x
hmmmmm, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm, huh, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

: Oops: : Cry: :( : Shock: