Connected Objects, IoT, IoT

Work concerning plumbing or sanitary water (hot, cold, clean or used). Management, access and use of water at home: drilling, pumping, wells, distribution network, treatment, sanitation, rainwater recovery. Recovery, filtration, depollution, storage processes. Repair of water pumps. Manage, use and save water, desalination and desalination, pollution and water ...
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Connected Objects, IoT, IoT

by Grelinette » 02/07/20, 09:03

I open this new subject on the internet of Connected Objects...

This area is nothing less than " considered the third evolution of the Internet, called Web 3.0 (sometimes perceived as the generalization of the Web of objects but also as that of the Semantic Web "(cf. Wikipedia)

We announce some 80 billion connected objects in 2020… All sectors would be affected, but it is difficult to really understand what it is all about, as the declarations and proposals are vast, complex, rather vague and still very theoretical.
I tried to find an explanatory sketch of a typical infrastructure for an IoT application, but the results give diagrams as different as abscons! ....

But what does the expression "Internet of Things (IoT, IoT) "? Is this new technology a real revolution?

Here is a definition which summarizes a little what we can read on this subject:

“The Internet of Things, refers to electronic objects, equipped with wireless connected sensors, sharing information with a computer, tablet or smartphone and capable of perceiving, analyzing and acting according to contexts and our environment. The algorithms associated with these objects transform the data collected into understandable and useful information for users ”.

In this definition, we understand that these are mainly sensors that collect information and transfer it in real or deferred time to a remote database so that this data is stored and used. (so feed Big-Data!)

The objectives of this subject are therefore:

- Understand the principle of IoT (or IoT in English)

To be able to define an architecture for a specific project involving the IoT.
(In this case, I would like to be able to use this technology for a project I am currently working on…)

To put it simply, the IoT would therefore consist of communicating with remote equipment, and transferring information back and forth. That is to say obtain quantitative or qualitative information, but also send instructions, as in the case of home automation: turn on a heater, open a door or window, turn on your coffee maker or heater, issue the cat food, etc.).

So, concretely, I understand that this technology requires mastering 3 different levels to implement an IoT system:

1. The material on site, which will collect information (sensor, camera, thermometer, etc.),
or control remote equipment (open a door, switch on a device, etc.)

2. The network that will transport the information, either send the collected data back to a database or an application, or send an instruction to control remote equipment (GSM, 4G, 5G, Stigfox, Wifi, Blutooth, etc.)

3. The computer application that will manage this entire system from a pc, tablet or smartphone

Well, if some of you have knowledge of this vast and complex subject ...

(I remind you that my goal is to be able to manage remotely this material which already works well in an unconnected way but which I would like to make "connected" to be able to control it with a smartphone, pc or tablet ...)
0 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Connected Objects, IoT, IoT

by izentrop » 02/07/20, 11:40

Hello,
You are quickly overpriced with this kind of gadget.
As you can see from the window, I have a friend who this kind of wifi camera less than 30 € to watch your dog. He can even order him to get off the couch remotely : Lol:

After if you want more sophisticated with remote control, you tinker from that https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=687765.0
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 02/07/20, 12:06

When I see that there are connected small spoons or toothbrushes ... I tell myself that all of them are vectors favorable to the emergence of idiocracy... and incidentally to generalized big gata surveillance (like big data + gafa) and the explosion of EEE waste ...
1 x
ENERC
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by ENERC » 02/07/20, 12:51

idiocracy

Yes: that's a connected object (image from the film Idiocratie - 2006)
Attachments
idiocracy.png
1 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 02/07/20, 13:33

It is a matter of making obsolete all the existing equipment for the benefit of new ones which "thanks" to these communication capacities will change the nature of their services as well as our relationship to them; the harmful potential of this trend (which is not a drift!) should not be underestimated.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Christophe

by Christophe » 02/07/20, 15:49

Ahmed wrote:It is a matter of making obsolete all the existing equipment for the benefit of new ones which "thanks" to these communication capacities will change the nature of their services as well as our relationship to them; the harmful potential of this trend (which is not a drift!) should not be underestimated.

Right ... and I'm a little surprised that you didn't mention the abstract value that you hold dear (with pun intended) ...

Or how to add a coefficient 100 of abstract value added for some functions that a well-trained (and not too lazy) human brain has no use ...

In other words, you will have to work 100 times more for the same object ...
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 02/07/20, 16:00

Right ... and I'm a little surprised that you didn't mention the abstract value that is so dear to you (with pun intended) ...

No need to push too hard : Mrgreen: : It is on the one hand because the household equipment rate does not correspond to the quantity of goods that must imperatively be sold on the market and on the other hand that the limited lifespan of the devices is still too long to satisfy the increased reproduction of capital of abstract value (hello, it's me!) that a new generation of "gadgets" is appearing which aims to replace human brain functions and therefore destroy them (an unused function s atrophy quickly).
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 02/07/20, 16:48

Certainly, as with all technologies there are and there will be abuses and abuses (even conspiracies!).
But human nature is thus made and we are always seeking to improve, innovate, progress.
(We had also debated this subject on econology a few years ago: "Is the search for innovation included in the genetic heritage of man? ...." :D )

There are of course ridiculous gadgets: seeing and talking from a distance to your cat, dog, donkey, or goldfish ... although our animal friends can suffer from isolation : Cheesy: , but can we criticize an application which allows you to remotely check in a few seconds if you have turned off the gas when you leave, the front door, turn on the heating or water the garden, if there is mail in the mailbox or if the tomatoes in the garden are ripe?

Likewise, think that having a toothbrush connected is superfluous, in my opinion is not justified! Image
Today it can be, because the extra cost to connect your toothbrush can make it overpriced, but tomorrow? ...
If your toothbrush warns you that it is only 30% operational, or that there is still some waste behind the back molar, which generates, as it would seem, an ugly odor of punctured rat would be socially good to mitigate! ... : Mrgreen: )

Each new technology or innovation experiences its period of distrust and opposition. It is a fact, and it is also the whole paradox of man.

Remember, for example, the fierce criticism of the Electric Assistance Bike in its infancy, and still not so long ago ...
Similarly, we criticize the ubiquity of the mobile phone a lot and we keep saying that it is an accessory that generates many drawbacks ... But who among you does not have his mobile phone on him, and is not interested to be able to call from anywhere and to anyone, check their emails, look for information on the internet ... or find out if you have encountered a person carrying the corona virus today within a meter ? ...

The idea of ​​being able to manage a device or have remote information in itself is not something serious or reprehensible; even if purists will rightly say that all new technologies bring their share of nuisances, pollution, imbalances and alterations of the planet : Cry:

This subject is not to debate on the merits of this technology but to know it, and to know how to carry out a project which implements it.

In this case, I want to be able to manage the automatic feeder of my horses remotely with my laptop ... and check if in the morning, their ration of hay and peck has been delivered, to go back to bed serenely with the feeling of duty accomplished! ... Image
0 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 02/07/20, 16:56

Grelinette wrote:In this case, I want to be able to manage the automatic feeder of my horses remotely with my laptop ... and check if in the morning, their ration of hay and peck has been delivered, to go back to bed serenely with the feeling of duty accomplished! ... Image

But what a pretender! : Lol: : Lol: : Lol:
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 02/07/20, 16:58

In this case, you will need a long distance link, wired or wireless and if the system is isolated, provide battery charger, solar.
in my opinion i don't know if it's worth the effort
Last edited by izentrop the 02 / 07 / 20, 16: 59, 1 edited once.
0 x

Go back to “Water management, plumbing and sanitation. Pumping, drilling, filtration, wells, recovery ... "