Feedback on columnar fruit trees

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Swiss_Knight
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Feedback on columnar fruit trees

by Swiss_Knight » 12/06/20, 22:47

Hello,

a "fashion" (?) that of columnar fruit trees (also called "column trees") has been blooming for several years.
(I let you search for images on your favorite search engine with these keywords).

They have their advantages and disadvantages and I do not expect an incredible production considering the low port of the tree, but for the greedy side and to peck during passages in the garden in late summer / early fall, I would be tempted. Especially since a tall stem will never pass through an urban garden of 5x10m, if only to maintain good relationships with neighbors :D !

Have any of you tried?

These trees are still relatively far from the imagination of the "classic" tall-stemmed fruit tree, I wonder what their average lifespan is according to the genera (plum, malus, pyrus, or even not pyrus...) and what is their production?

What are your Experiences with these trees?

Thank you for your feedback!
1 x
Uncle Buzz
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Re: Feedback on columnar fruit trees

by Uncle Buzz » 13/06/20, 13:57

When I see the photos where almost systematically there are more fruits than leaves, knowing that the fruits are filled with the sugar produced by solar energy capture by the leaves, it puzzles me ...
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 13/06/20, 14:12

The fruit hedge is to be preferred if we want trees with low development, rather than these marketing products.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 13/06/20, 14:32

Ahmed wrote:The fruit hedge is to be preferred if we want trees with low development, rather than these marketing products.

you can develop the principle of the fruit hedge, thank you
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
GuyGadebois
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadebois » 13/06/20, 19:10

0 x
“It is better to mobilize your intelligence on bullshit than to mobilize your bullshit on intelligent things. (J.Rouxel)
"By definition the cause is the product of the effect". (Tryphion)
"360 / 000 / 0,5 is 100 million and not 72 million" (AVC)
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 13/06/20, 21:01

The fruit hedge is now a classic of fruit growing, with low vigor rootstocks to obtain moderate growth of the branch which is maintained in a linear plane and a low height. These characteristics ensure reduced maintenance, great ease of harvesting and good productivity / ha. The method Thomas-Bouche is one of the possibilities for driving this type of hedge, but not the only one.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 13/06/20, 21:51

Ahmed wrote:The fruit hedge is now a classic of fruit growing, with low vigor rootstocks to obtain moderate growth of the branch which is maintained in a linear plane and a low height. These characteristics ensure reduced maintenance, great ease of harvesting and good productivity / ha. The method Thomas-Bouche is one of the possibilities for driving this type of hedge, but not the only one.

thank you, this is the type of fruit tree that I was looking for, now that I know the name in September, I could only have discussed this with the horticulturist
0 x
(of me)
Biobomb
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Biobomb » 14/01/21, 10:00

Moindreffor wrote:thank you, this is the type of fruit tree that I was looking for, now that I know the name in September, I could only have discussed this with the horticulturist

Is she planted? If so, how many varieties, which rootstocks?
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 14/01/21, 17:26

Biobombe wrote:
Moindreffor wrote:thank you, this is the type of fruit tree that I was looking for, now that I know the name in September, I could only have discussed this with the horticulturist

no you know the Moindreffor he is subject to the climatic hazards of his health and since then he has had many projects but not health to put them in place
0 x
(of me)
Biobomb
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Biobomb » 14/01/21, 22:12

Moindreffor wrote:
Biobombe wrote:

no you know the Moindreffor he is subject to the climatic hazards of his health and since then he has had many projects but not health to put them in place

I understand. If I may, you are right not to have it in place. A successful and productive fruit hedge is very beautiful, but still difficult to manage, it is the business of an experienced arborist.
0 x

Back to "Agriculture: problems and pollution, new techniques and solutions"