Drum axis broken twice on 40cm Fagor washing machine: planned obsolescence

And if they were repairing rather than throwing and change? Rediscover the pleasure of the repairs yourself. How to diagnose a problem or find spare parts? Repair itself is way to save money generally!
Petrus
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Drum axis broken twice on 40cm Fagor washing machine: planned obsolescence

by Petrus » 06/04/20, 11:27

Last week my washing machine made a big noise during the spin cycle, the drum was then blocked. When I dismantled the machine, I saw that the belt had derailed and wound up under the pulley. Once the pulley disassembled and the belt released the drum could rotate but there was still resistance, so I disassembled the bearing and the rotating joint. After removing everything, I came across a good package of aluminum oxide, scraping with a screwdriver, I could dig a hole : Shock: the axis of the drum is decomposing:
ax_washing-machine.jpg
ax_washing-machine.jpg (142.68 KiB) Viewed 16167 times

I had the same problem 2 years ago, I also kept the broken axis:
ax_washing-machine_casse.jpg
ax_washing-machine_casse.jpg (147.78 KiB) Viewed 16167 times

My water is very light, aggressive, it must accelerate the deterioration but still, it's not normal to have a bio-degradable washing machine!
After two similar breakages, I'm going to change platforms, it's stupid because this platform (Vedette, Brandt, Fagor) was interesting in terms of repairability.
Do you have brands of washing machines 40cm of good quality and repairable (removable ball bearings) to advise me or on the contrary models to advise me?
1 x
Christophe

Re: Drum axis broken twice on 40cm Fagor washing machine: planned obsolescence

by Christophe » 06/04/20, 12:05

It is a "welded" steel axis (hum hum ...) on an aluminum part ??

FYI: my washing machine is a Fagor from 15 years ago, still in electro mechanical version because I wanted voluntarily no LCD ....

For your question, I think I read a lot of LG bubble washing machines in 2017 for a girlfriend ...
0 x
Petrus
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Petrus » 14/06/20, 21:29

As planned, the axis eventually gave way.
I was able to recover a recent mid-range model AWE6237 whirlpool machine (2017) which had suffered a moving accident and whose door and hinges were broken, the rest is in very good condition. To repair it, I bought another higher end whirlpool machine model AWE9765GG from sept 2012 with HS bearings.

First observation, on whirlpool machines, the concrete weights are removable, very practical for mounting the stairs and certainly easier to recycle than my old fagor machine where the concrete was poured into a cavity of the tank.

On the AWE9765GG, the motor is a brushless mounted directly on the side of the tank, one might think that it is better in terms of reliability (no belt, or coals) but the bearing on this side is crimped in the tank :
P1020928.JPG

On the AWE6237 with conventional universal motor with belt, the two bearings are replaceable.

Anyway, even if it was removable, the part that interfaces between the steel axle and the stainless steel drum is puffed up by corrosion:
P1020943.JPG

after cleaning:
P1020949.JPG

P1020951.JPG

So the same problem as on the fagor.

In the end, unless the drum assembly changed between 2012 and 2017, the new machine remains suspended, but for 40 € including petrol, and a few hours of work, I have a recent machine that works, spare parts and a big brushless motor for fun : Cheesy:
0 x
GuyGadebois
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadebois » 14/06/20, 21:40

Fagor is far from holding the upper hand in terms of reliability.
0 x
“It is better to mobilize your intelligence on bullshit than to mobilize your bullshit on intelligent things. (J.Rouxel)
"By definition the cause is the product of the effect". (Tryphion)
"360 / 000 / 0,5 is 100 million and not 72 million" (AVC)
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 15/06/20, 01:41

Here is an anecdote we just changed our dishwasher which was making too much noise: a boom boom boom boom tiring in the long run.

For a secondhand .... the BC
It was not me who took care of the sale.

Candy CDF8 248 the top of the range Image

"We" got "rolled"
First connection: leak
The drain hose is split
I recover that of the old dishwasher (also bought secondhand 50 €)
Second connection: rejected
The washing salt container is split
I shunted it by plugging in the direct water supply without going through this box.
And everything works
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 15/06/20, 07:27

Hello,
When you fix it yourself, you can think of it as planned obsolescence, but it would rather be the effects of globalization: lower and lower manufacturing costs / higher and higher repair costs in our wealthy countries.

Engineering compensates for the rising cost of raw materials by reducing the quantities needed, but there is a limit. The fact that the cost of energy is not counted against its sustainability (dixit Janco).

We are reaching the limits of our poor Earth (dixit also Biouix)

Okay, I don't answer the question of bearings because I never had the problem, but many others before it happened. Besides, the lifespan of all the elements of a machine must be more or less identical (programmed obsolescence : Wink: ), which means that at the first damage
breakdowns are linked and people who do not repair themselves gain by changing machines ...
0 x
Petrus
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Petrus » 15/06/20, 18:34

Not quite agree, there we still have a material sensitive to corrosion which is immersed, I will not be made to believe that this part cannot be molded in a polymer just as solid and insensitive to corrosion at cost of comparable manufacture.
If my machine had not had this PB of corrosion, it could still have lasted a very long time, the rest worked perfectly and the wear parts were replaceable.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 16/06/20, 13:47

In defense of Fagor, I have a 17 year old who never posed a problem for me ... and she made 3 moves!

This is the Innova LD-110 model

It is still an electro mechanical model, without LCD display therefore and we can hear the relays which slam when it works ...

There are just a few lights, not even if it's LEDs : Cheesy:

But it doesn't turn out very much either, I'm not a large family all by myself! : Mrgreen:

From what I saw we can find spare parts quite easily ... not sure that this is the case for many models which are 17 years old!
0 x
GuyGadebois
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadebois » 16/06/20, 13:54

This model has been very produced and shares a lot of parts with other washing machines from other brands. It is indeed very reliable and repairable. But that was before". : Cheesy:
0 x
“It is better to mobilize your intelligence on bullshit than to mobilize your bullshit on intelligent things. (J.Rouxel)
"By definition the cause is the product of the effect". (Tryphion)
"360 / 000 / 0,5 is 100 million and not 72 million" (AVC)
Christophe

by Christophe » 16/06/20, 14:02

Ah well you have to believe that I was a precursor of the anti obsolescence programmed from the beginning of the 2000s ... or did I just have luck? : Mrgreen:
0 x

Back to "failure, troubleshooting and repair: repair yourself? "