An electric generator printed in 3D

Forum dedicated to 3D printing: 3D printing technologies (fdm, lcd, sla ...), hardware, software, slicers, settings, use, database, model exchange, tips and tricks, optimization, exchange of experiences...
Chris_Workshop
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

An electric generator printed in 3D

by Chris_Workshop » 01/01/19, 10:48

Hello,

Here is my last little project realized using a 3D printer and some manual tools:

I share the files for who would want to make it at home. Nothing prevents to achieve on the 2 scale for who wants something more powerful. Magnets and bearings are found at the 2 scale. For now, I have not yet put all the files under Thingiverse, it lacks the nomenclature, wiring plans, but all that will happen soon. And then there are still 4 episodes before the end of the realization of this generator.

There will later be a multi rotor version (several rotors in parallel) and an encapsulation that will be suitable for the realization of a small wind turbine.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3324923
3 x
Eric DUPONT
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Re: An electric generator printed in 3D

by Eric DUPONT » 01/01/19, 10:54

awesome.
0 x
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by moinsdewatt » 01/01/19, 22:51

Nice achievement well didactic.

Printing with plastic thread.

Except the electric part and magnets.

What is the electric power, certainly not more than a few watts. Have measurements been made?
0 x
Chris_Workshop
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Chris_Workshop » 01/01/19, 23:14

I just did a vacuum measurement for now. 40 Volts to 1300 rpm on departure. And then there is something that must have happened because I had more than 25 Volts at the same speed. I had to lose a pair of reels. Either I have a diode bridge that is dead or a bad solder. Anyway, it lights easily a led projector from 3W to 800 RPM. I must try to put other resistive loads to see what is in his stomach but that will be the subject of the 5ème episode. It could do a lot better because I opted for parallel triangle wiring. With a series triangle he would turn on this projector at 400 rpm. But as the wire is only 0,4mm and it supports only 0,4A I preferred the possibility of providing more intensity even if it must turn faster. The reels have only 135 turns. I could have put 150 but I could be too big to fit in the reel stand. In fact there is a lot of play. And then the air gap is big enough. As I was afraid that the cumulative force of 16 neodymium magnets would distort the coil holder, I left 1,5mm. I have to try to reduce it. It's part of the focus. And then of course I would have to try to find out why my vacuum voltage was suddenly reduced by a third to recover all the power.

As I said to increase the power there is the possibility to print it on 2 scale. But I rather plan the design of a multirotor version.

But given its size and the cost of manufacturing, it's pretty good. Much better in any case than my first generator:
1 x
dede2002
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by dede2002 » 02/01/19, 10:35

Hello,

Nice achievement!

I ask myself a few questions (2).
-What the windings do not have a ferric core, there should not be any attraction between the magnets and the coils?
-What temperature does the plastic soften?

I had tried to make an experimental axial alternator, but I had put coils with core and the attraction posed a problem despite a very rigid construction (car hub). I had thought, instead of a double rotor, to make a double stator on each side of the magnets to balance the attraction, shifting them to mitigate the cogging (effort to start).

A+ :)
0 x
Petrus
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Petrus » 02/01/19, 18:47

Nice achievement

Idea: add a crank with a gear to increase speed, education level it's very interesting to feel the mechanical power needed to generate a poor Watt.

PS: I went to see the other videos of your channel, it speaks a lot of Stirling. I made one myself with tin cans, printed parts and others of recovery, I managed to draw electric 0,04W : Cheesy:
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 02/01/19, 22:40

dede2002 wrote:-What the windings do not have a ferric core, there should not be any attraction between the magnets and the coils?
This is the principle of the generator of the Piggott. Do not brake without production.
0 x
Chris_Workshop
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Chris_Workshop » 03/01/19, 22:50

Petrus wrote:Nice achievement

Idea: add a crank with a gear to increase speed, education level it's very interesting to feel the mechanical power needed to generate a poor Watt.

It's clear!!!
Petrus wrote:PS: I went to see the other videos of your channel, it speaks a lot of Stirling. I made one myself with tin cans, printed parts and others of recovery, I managed to draw electric 0,04W : Cheesy:

I'm about twenty Watt on my biggest current engine:

And I intend to do much better with a next much bigger engine. But it will not be before 2020 the time to build it.
0 x
Chris_Workshop
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Chris_Workshop » 03/01/19, 23:07

dede2002 wrote:Hello,

Nice achievement!

I ask myself a few questions (2).
-What the windings do not have a ferric core, there should not be any attraction between the magnets and the coils?
-What temperature does the plastic soften?

I had tried to make an experimental axial alternator, but I had put coils with core and the attraction posed a problem despite a very rigid construction (car hub). I had thought, instead of a double rotor, to make a double stator on each side of the magnets to balance the attraction, shifting them to mitigate the cogging (effort to start).

A+ :)

You want to talk about which generator? The one printed in 3D has cores and indeed the attraction of the neodymium magnets generate strong constraints on the plastic cages. The machined one does not have one. There is no attraction with the coils but there is induction when there is relative movement between magnet and coil.
For the one printed in 3D it must hold up to 70 ° C I think since it is ABS.

Here is a video of one of my Stirling engines that drives the generator printed in 3D:
1 x
Petrus
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Petrus » 04/01/19, 19:28

20W, congratulations!
Nice mechanics, about unconventional mechanics, something that I would like to see is a Stirling gamma with an editable displacer system to vary the output power to order. I wanted to do it on my Stirling but saw how the least friction slowed down its operation I gave up the idea, here is the engine in question:

I shot the video 2 weeks ago but I made it in 2013. I originally wanted to disassemble it and recover parts to make a flame swallower in the same spirit recup / impression 3D, but after replacing a broken gear it turned better than in my memory, so I will keep it and make the swallower flame from scratch.

To get back to the subject of the generator, what is the difference in performance with and without metal cores?
0 x

Go back to "3D printers and 3D print: machines and technologies, hardware, software, use and optimization"