Barn floor

Help and advice for your real work in new or renovation, interior or exterior.
folleavoine
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Barn floor

by folleavoine » 27/03/20, 19:35

Hello everyone !

I bought a little barn in Ariège a little less than a year ago.
I recovered it as it was, with the hay in the attic and the ground covered with a mixture of soil, hay and dry dung.

After removing this layer of "earth" I fell directly on the rock. The floor is therefore stone, but unfortunately it is not regular and not level. It is quite humid in places, the rock being even wet.

This whole area should become a workshop, so no living room.

My problem is that I do not know how to go about obtaining a soil that is both regular and level that can hold up on fairly moist soil.

I absolutely cannot disburse, the floor being stone, and in order not to end up with my head in the floor above, I must limit the thickness of the future coating.

In short, I am quite limited.

I was thinking of installing a simple layer of lime directly on the stone with a step to compensate for the natural slope of the soil.

Do you think this solution would last?
Do you have any ideas / advice to suggest to me?

Thank you for your help !
0 x
GuyGadebois
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Barn floor

by GuyGadebois » 27/03/20, 19:51

You make a flat floor by creating a crawl space between the rock and this one, well ventilated on each side.
0 x
“It is better to mobilize your intelligence on bullshit than to mobilize your bullshit on intelligent things. (J.Rouxel)
"By definition the cause is the product of the effect". (Tryphion)
"360 / 000 / 0,5 is 100 million and not 72 million" (AVC)
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 27/03/20, 20:01

Lime will be useless in this case. The ventilated raised floor is the right option. If you are stuck by the height, you just have to disburse: good news, confinement is your friend! :D
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Bardal
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Bardal » 27/03/20, 20:20

It is reassuring, in this context where everyone feels expert in the most difficult subjects, to see that some know how to wisely stay at the level of the floor ... And with precious advice ...
0 x
Paul72
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Paul72 » 29/03/20, 20:38

there is also the classic solution of pouring a concrete slab to restore everything to level ... but watch out for the circulation of water, you may need to put a small drain all around at the foot of the walls, under the slab ( I had to do this at home to allow the natural circulation of water after heavy rain and not make it rise in the walls)
0 x
I'm allergic to idiots: sometimes I even get a cough.
GuyGadebois
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadebois » 29/03/20, 20:40

Paul72 wrote:there is also the classic solution of pouring a concrete slab to restore everything to level ... but watch out for the circulation of water, you may need to put a small drain all around at the foot of the walls, under the slab ( I had to do this at home to allow the natural circulation of water after heavy rain and not make it rise in the walls)

Too expensive (to do it in the rules of the art), too long / heavy / complex and possibility of moisture transfer in the house, the walls by capillarity (indeed).
0 x
“It is better to mobilize your intelligence on bullshit than to mobilize your bullshit on intelligent things. (J.Rouxel)
Paul72
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Paul72 » 29/03/20, 20:41

Ahmed wrote:Lime will be useless in this case. The ventilated raised floor is the right option. If you are stuck by the height, you just have to disburse: good news, confinement is your friend! :D

pay attention to humidity, it will be necessary to put a vapor barrier film on the floor (after leveling with gravel for example) even if it is ventilated.

Finally this is only my expert opinion : Cheesy:
0 x
Paul72
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Paul72 » 29/03/20, 20:43

GuyGadebois wrote:
Paul72 wrote:there is also the classic solution of pouring a concrete slab to restore everything to level ... but watch out for the circulation of water, you may need to put a small drain all around at the foot of the walls, under the slab ( I had to do this at home to allow the natural circulation of water after heavy rain and not make it rise in the walls)

Too expensive (to do it in the rules of the art), too long / heavy / complex and possibility of moisture transfer in the house, the walls by capillarity (indeed).

it is settled in half a day for two, with a router a cost lower than the floor (which will be much longer to implement)

By climbing up the walls if you pay attention to the circulation of water (this is a legend except in adobe houses)
0 x
GuyGadebois
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadebois » 29/03/20, 20:45

Paul72 wrote:By climbing up the walls if you pay attention to the circulation of water (this is a legend except in adobe houses)

A legend? You talked about it just above!
0 x
Paul72
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Paul72 » 29/03/20, 21:03

GuyGadebois wrote:
Paul72 wrote:By climbing up the walls if you pay attention to the circulation of water (this is a legend except in adobe houses)

A legend? You talked about it just above!

No, I was talking about the concrete slabs that bring water vapor up the walls, it's a legend. At the first message I speak of liquid water which can run on the stone eventually (only the person who is there can know ...). If it is blocked, it will either bypass or pass over it (depending on the weakest constraint). So the drain is not always necessary. In any case, the slab on plastic film will remove the ambient humidity from the ground.
0 x