storm floods: What to do against humidity?

Help and advice for your real work in new or renovation, interior or exterior.
LaKahina
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

storm floods: What to do against humidity?

by LaKahina » 31/07/14, 09:08

Hello,

last year, we purchased a suburban lodge. From the fall, we noticed that the ground floor of this pavilion without cellar was very humid (ambient humidity sometimes higher than 85% and humidity higher than 50% on certain walls). We have spent a lot of time finding the origin of this humidity, but the heavy rains of the last few weeks have brought us the evidence: these are capillary rises which especially take place in the event of heavy rains.

The former owners who had not informed us and still deny having had to face the same phenomenon (book covers that curl, strong presence of insects, odors ...) had lined the walls with vinyl wallpaper and laid paneling. The walls were also covered with plaster and waterproof paints, which we have already partially removed to dry the walls.

We have tried to inquire, but we are wary of experts who offer free quotes for after offering services, usually resin injections, extremely expensive and likely to give off toxic fumes. We therefore plan to scrape the plaster from the walls and remove the tiling which rests on a bed of stone to then cover the walls with lime and pour a chappe based on lime and clay biles. External drainage seems impossible since the house is terraced on one side and bordered by a courtyard on the other. The facade overlooks the street. At the limit, the possibility of draining the back would remain.

Has anyone ever had to deal with this kind of problem? Apparently the whole neighborhood is affected. It is in a tank and the whole is highly asphalted. Is there any feedback on the techniques envisaged? Are there other ecological alternatives?
0 x
hic
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Re: Storm floods: What to do against humidity?

by hic » 31/07/14, 12:50

did you make an observation?

did the price take this problem into account?

after that if it stays on your arms,
you will always have time to think!

LaKahina wrote:Hello,

last year, we purchased a suburban lodge. From the fall, we noticed that the ground floor of this pavilion without cellar was very humid (ambient humidity sometimes higher than 85% and humidity higher than 50% on certain walls). We have spent a lot of time finding the origin of this humidity, but the heavy rains of the last few weeks have brought us the evidence: these are capillary rises which especially take place in the event of heavy rains.

The former owners who had not informed us and still deny having had to face the same phenomenon (book covers that curl, strong presence of insects, odors ...) had lined the walls with vinyl wallpaper and laid paneling. The walls were also covered with plaster and waterproof paints, which we have already partially removed to dry the walls.

We have tried to inquire, but we are wary of experts who offer free quotes for after offering services, usually resin injections, extremely expensive and likely to give off toxic fumes. We therefore plan to scrape the plaster from the walls and remove the tiling which rests on a bed of stone to then cover the walls with lime and pour a chappe based on lime and clay biles. External drainage seems impossible since the house is terraced on one side and bordered by a courtyard on the other. The facade overlooks the street. At the limit, the possibility of draining the back would remain.

Has anyone ever had to deal with this kind of problem? Apparently the whole neighborhood is affected. It is in a tank and the whole is highly asphalted. Is there any feedback on the techniques envisaged? Are there other ecological alternatives?
0 x
"Let food be thy medicine and thy medicine be thy food" Hippocrates
"Everything has a price has no value" Nietzche
Torture for Dummies
Forbid to express the idea that the field is acceleration (magnetic and gravitational)
And you get your patent mental torture option executioner successfully
LaKahina
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

@hic

by LaKahina » 31/07/14, 13:30

No, I was not informed and I noticed this problem about six months after the sale. I have made several letters to the owner who denies the extent of the problem. I have informed my insurance company which refuses to cover the damage since it is not an accident and since the expert has estimated that they were prior to the purchase of the house and the signature of my insurance contract.

A report was established by "my craftsman". I also took pictures of the condition of the walls (molds) and rotten paneling. We are therefore on the hidden defect and I really want to ask the owner to participate in the cost of cleaning up the house. Still, I will have to decide what work to undertake and this is where I await your suggestions and feedback.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 31/07/14, 13:47

A very hypothetical compensation will not solve your problems, because these humidity problems are often very difficult to solve, on a practical level.
Have you not considered a cancellation procedure for sale with compensation, on the basis of a latent defect?
Success is not guaranteed either on this legal level, but it is an interesting track that should not be overlooked.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
LaKahina
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

@Ahmed

by LaKahina » 31/07/14, 14:51

No, I do not want to cancel the purchase of the house since I have already moved into the house and started work. I also think it's livable since the whole neighborhood has to deal with it. However, work will have to be done and I agree that the house will probably never be completely dry. It is however clear that I would have taken additional information on the extent of the problem if I had known at the time of the sale and if necessary negotiated the price down. So I have to find a solution to the humidity.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 31/07/14, 16:06

Since the problem is located in this bowl-shaped district (if I understood correctly), do you know what solutions the neighbors have implemented?
0 x
LaKahina
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

@Ahmed

by LaKahina » 31/07/14, 16:29

My immediate neighbors think that there is nothing to do and do with it. I asked what arrangements have been made at the commune level and I await an answer. I know in the meantime that a retention pond has been built because of the floods in a neighboring neighborhood, but it is certainly not enough. A local resident told me that everyone is facing this problem and that water stagnates in certain streets in the event of heavy rain.
0 x
dirk pitt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dirk pitt » 31/07/14, 21:20

in my grandmother's house, same type of problem.
the only thing that cleaned up the walls (little by little) was to dig a well in the cellar of about 1m square and 1m deep. we "coffered" it with elements for a water meter sight, leaving the bottom in the ground of course and we installed an automatic pump at the bottom placed on 50 bricks so that it does not swallow too much shit.
the pump starts automatically and maintains the water level in the soil about 1m below ground level. the walls are now very healthy.
0 x
Click my signature
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 01/08/14, 10:17

The solution of Dirk Pitt does not guarantee a result for sure, but seems to me a possible solution and which has the merit of being simple and cheap: it is therefore wise to try it.
The depth at which the collection must take place depends on the capillarity of the substrate and the foundations, but it is quite easy to adjust this value empirically.

I also know of cases of areas where the water table is flush with the foundations of houses, but it is difficult to deduce prescriptions from it as the cases are specific and involve specific parameters.
0 x

Back to "Renovation, construction and real estate work: help, advice and methods ..."