Opening in stone wall window

Help and advice for your real work in new or renovation, interior or exterior.
shogun17
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Opening in stone wall window

by shogun17 » 10/07/14, 06:10

Hello everybody
I need advice on renovating an old farmhouse.
I have to open windows 2 120 cm wide in the stone walls of 50 cm.
I have 4 m of wall above the openings to create.
1- how should I put battens to support the walls and what size they should be
Should we run 2- poles or can we rely on the existing stones
How wide do 3- opening
4- is what I need to provide to sink the lintel 1 or 2 parts (or 1x50 2x25)
5- what thickness for lintels
6- how scrap and what dosage for concrete
7- after how long was remove the
Thank you all and hope to see you
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 10/07/14, 16:01

whoever would answer on a forum without more information would be very dangerous

the wall are completely different depending on the type of stone and mortar type

there is a good mason who knows the types of the wall corner or you can tell you is that

it's not just the width of the opening that account: there is the wall height above the opening ... and the value of which is above

if it is a wall of little value without floor occupied above, it is possible to open anyhow: the above opening is a sort of arch and it stands alone, the time we build a lintel and rebuild part of the wall to plug the hole above the lintel

what dosage! always the same regardless of usage because less is not enough and too much is useless therefore 350 between cement and concrete 400kg by m3

any scrap? study was done ... everything depends on the pitch lintel: If you made a very thick lintel that can hold no scrap metal, but it will take concrete

for a less high lintel to save the concrete it takes more feraille
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 10/07/14, 21:34

I put 2 lintels side by side, possibly separated by a thin sheet of polystyrene or polyethylene film. For the simple reason is that a higher than wide lintel will be stronger than a square lintel, so 2 lintels that meet this proportion will be much stronger one lintel equivalent section but worse rectangle or square profile flat.

As regards the duration of the presence of the stays, it would make a calculation according to the section / lintels and time specific concrete curing.
But as long as possible is best! I would say at random at least 1 3 months months but is better.

From memory it seems to me that for concrete there is the empirical rule of "3"
- 3 days to take
- 3 months to harden
- 3 years to dry
0 x
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 11/07/14, 10:03

Hello
For the simple reason is that a higher than wide lintel will be stronger than a square lintel, so 2 lintels that meet this proportion will be much stronger one lintel equivalent section but worse rectangle or square profile flat.
the result will be identical. By cons proceed by 1 / 2 lintels without felling the entire opening and function of linking stones in question (sometimes it is only the straw and earth bound water) can avoid subsidence or the collapse of the whole. Just be a hole to check before you start opening in an unrealistic and even dangerous for an amateur. more and you'll figure it out while above the lintel to sink you should identify three or four times the volume needed because of the overlapping of stone them (it is not a question of our bricks and cinder blocks ). Moreover 4m above it's in 4.5 / 5 tonnes 1,20m wide (more clearances support the lintel) and such a charge does not hold herself up mainly with stones even lime mortar. Do you first to estimate the feasibility of a professional because obviously it's not your game.
Finally, you probably want to talk about was instead of battens which are narrow pieces of wood. Two small enough for the width.
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 11/07/14, 13:14

a solution that I have often seen used is to drill a hole slightly above the future opening, to spend a large beam supported by 2 Was

this support beam so the wall by the middle and opens wider without any falls

the beam must be long enough for props is not too close to the wall and leaves room to work
0 x
shogun17
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by shogun17 » 11/07/14, 16:23

Thank you for your advice, indeed, it is not my field, and the stones are "sealed" to the ground, but I will start anyway, I will see for the reinforcement; I will take pictures and put them on the site.
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 11/07/14, 16:37

in my first post there are a lot of questions

any wall height above the opening?

this is not to calculate the weight! on the contrary when there is a high-rise can be shaped opening vault and it holds without substantiate

If the wall height is low, it has no hesitation: we must demolish and rebuild from above the lintel

What was it important question above?
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 11/07/14, 16:41

Janic wrote:Hello
the result will be identical.

Be revised during RDM.
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 11/07/14, 16:56

we must see the lintel and the wall as a whole: the lintel beam is not only to support the weight of the wall

sometimes seen with old wooden lintel, if the lintel sag, there are only a few stone that descend with the lintel ... it forms a vault and everything above a bow circle never goes ... so never weighed on the lintel

if the wall above the lintel is not very solid, stone incorrectly linked between it, open a certain height above the lintel to rebuild the well cemented in stone between it: and it is this new masonry height that made all the resistance
0 x
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 11/07/14, 19:35

Be revised during RDM.
it should not be confused with concrete strength than steel by exemple.La elastic resistance to extension / flexion which determines the acceptable load is zero so the steel is added to it. Taken to the absurd if you put 50 1 cm plates side by side you would not get a 50 times resistance (this is also valid for other materials.) The concrete that are only glued stones them and even if the sand is not clean, poorly dosed concrete cement and water, if vibrated or not, etc ... its resistant properties will be different.
0 x

Back to "Renovation, construction and real estate work: help, advice and methods ..."