Treatment of the frame before insulation of the attic?

Help and advice for your real work in new or renovation, interior or exterior.
Bearpanda
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Treatment of the frame before insulation of the attic?

by Bearpanda » 08/06/12, 01:28

Hello, I did not find a post on the subject and yet it seems to me an important point in the context of a renovation:
The frame of my house is relatively healthy except for a farm which has many holes of capricorns.
But no trace of recent sawdust, nor noise in the beams (it seems that we hear the larvae munching on the wood, I can't hear anything!). So how do you know if these holes are proof of the existence of living larvae, or if they are the remains of an old attack that would have been stopped by a previous treatment.
I have only owned this house for 2 years and I do not have the history of the work that could have been done by a previous owner. (house from the 60s)

I did bring in companies specializing in this type of treatment, who were quick to tell me that it was necessary to treat and to give me a quote accordingly. (around € 1200 for a house with a floor area of ​​around 110 m²).

Could someone tell me how to know if the larvae are still present, and if this pre-isolation treatment is warranted.
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 08/06/12, 02:50

From memory, in spring as at this moment, larvae emerge in the form of typical insects which fly away from the holes, and of which we find some specimens around, with a little luck.
Then also new holes appear, very visible on the abandoned wood outside (all kinds of insects and sawdust).

If the wood is very damaged, tapping on it with a hook, we see that it crumbles more, and that it has become much less solid.

The farm, which has a lot of holes, is either made of different wood or is more humid with water sometimes flowing over it.
0 x
razputin
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by razputin » 30/11/12, 12:25

My sister would like to buy an old house near béziers (hérault) seen on this site http://www.herault.immobilier-agence.net/achat_maison,ville,34032.html the problem is that there is a lot of work to do to renovate the frame.
The real estate agent told him that there would be a certain amount to add to the price of the house so that the house meets the expectations of the couple.
But this is a bit high for its budget.
Is there a way to renovate a low cost frame?
0 x