Development in an old building

Help and advice for your real work in new or renovation, interior or exterior.
airsp
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Development in an old building

by airsp » 10/05/12, 19:48

Hello
I plan to do a medical practice in an old garage.
This one is on the ground floor of an old stone building located in the south of France.
The walls are stone, thickness 50cm.
Solar gains: none

I aim for a good thermal comfort since the patients will be bare.

This therefore implies good management of humidity (rising through the walls) and insulation.

1. How to manage the humidity of the soil (clay) and the capillary rise of the walls?

2. How to insulate well for good comfort?

I had planned a wooden frame inside (with air space in relation to the walls), placed on a concrete screed.
Wood paneled walls and wooden parquet floor
Interior insulation in wadding.

The concern is that the wadding poorly manages the humidity.

We recommend aerated concrete or brick.
Problem is that brick tends to cause cold walls.
In addition, the two materials are not very good insulators.

What about the walls and the concrete screed?

Thank you
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 11/05/12, 01:27

How to manage the humidity of the soil (clay) and the capillary rise of the walls?

in principle, it is necessary to make waterproof, and this is called casing, very expensive, by injection of products making waterproof.

See on the internet all the companies treating humidity, by all kinds of means, sometimes strange, like electric, which leave me perplexed or more logical as evaporation vents.

The clay can be sealed, by solid waterproof plastic film, but then the moisture precipitates in the porous old walls, to rise especially by evaporation condensation repeated in closed environment, on meters (the capillarity is limited to 20cm) like the rain and clouds for miles.

It is therefore necessary to ventilate and drain below this earth and at the base of the walls so that the moisture flows and evaporates instead of going up the walls.

So the more you close, in an enclosed environment, the more the humidity is concentrated, trapped for months !!, moreover capable of demolishing old solid walls for centuries, well ventilated and destroyed if isolated without ventilation.
0 x

Back to "Renovation, construction and real estate work: help, advice and methods ..."