Opinion on a renovation of a house for years 60

Help and advice for your real work in new or renovation, interior or exterior.
Coati84
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Opinion on a renovation of a house for years 60

by Coati84 » 16/05/11, 10:23

Hello,

I offer this thread for your opinions and observations on my home improvement project. This reflection follows a 1st project of partial elevation of my house and a second project of horizontal wooden extension; projects ultimately abandoned for budgetary reasons.

The technical data are as follows:
- house built in 1962 in PERTUIS in Vaucluse,
- floor area of ​​106 m²,
- concrete block walls with a total thickness of 33 cm,
- concrete block partitions of different thicknesses,
- annual gas consumption of 20 kWh, i.e. a cost of € 600 with an ELM LEBLANC boiler of 1 kW (EGALIS model ref. GVB150 - 23HN),
- no interior insulation on the walls,
- 8 cast iron radiators on the ground floor,
- heating regulation in winter with a set point set at 19 ° C during the day and 17.5 ° C at night.

Here is the renovation program that I submit to you from a technical and financial point of view:
- change of all single glazed wooden windows - which are in very poor condition - by aluminum joinery DV reinforced insulation. The renovation will be of the full replacement type. I signed a contract last month with a market leader in this field for an amount of € 13 for the supply and installation of:
* 2 French windows 1860 x 2165 with a fixed leaf and 2 mobile leaves,
* 1 glazed entry door 1060 x 2180,
* 4 windows 1520 x 1490 with 2 movable leaves, French opening,
* 3 windows 720 x 810,
* 3 windows 700 x 510.
- emptying the heating circuit and removing the 8 cast iron radiators. This must be done by a professional for a cost that I do not know (500 €?) Knowing that I will repaint the radiators myself and completely remove the wallpaper behind these radiators.
- total renovation of electricity (sockets, switches, ceiling lights, wall lights) in the living room, dining room, kitchen and the 3 bedrooms. The estimated budget is € 7. What do you think of setting up a VDI network with RJ000 sockets in a renovation of this type?
- reduction of the partitions of the bathroom, WC, cupboard to create a new bathroom. What do you recommend for the materials of the partitions: BA13 plates on metal rails or terracotta tiles of the CARROBRIC type from IMERYS?
My selection criteria are mainly related to solidity, sound attenuation and inertia and I do not know the cost differences.
- creation of an opening between the house and the garage for the installation of a laundry room: creation of a partition, a false ceiling, interior counter-partitions with insulation on the existing concrete block walls.
These 2 "bathroom creation" and "laundry room creation" positions will call on the following trades: plumbing, electricity, plasterer, insulation, tiling. The estimated budget is 19 € and I intend to entrust the realization of these 000 positions to a multiservice craftsman who was recommended to me. What do you think ?
- implementation of new tiling in the living room - dining room - entrance hall - kitchen, ie a total area of ​​60 m². The supply budget is 30 - 35 € / m² and the labor budget is 40 € / m² or an overall cost of 4 €: what do you think?
- living room - dining room painting - entrance with general plaster, printing layer and 2 layers of mat acrylic paint. This lot will be made by myself or with a craftsman who already gave me a quote as part of my initial project and who works very well.
- insulation of roof spaces lost on an area of ​​106 m² with the dumping of loose rock wool over a thickness of 30 cm for an amount of € 1. I already have this quote in my possession. Is this operation which allows you to benefit from a 800% tax credit really profitable in terms of gas consumption?

The overall budget for this renovation is € 46.

Thank you for giving me your always enlightened opinions on a subject that fascinates me and that can interest many people. What do you think of this program which has become minimal? What are your advices ?

See you soon.

Note:
I would have gotten into insulation from the outside of the "north" facade of my house, but the cost per m² in the PACA region of between 150 and 200 € / m² is prohibitive. I don't think the investment will pay off for an area of ​​the "north" wall of around 75 m².
0 x
Coati84 - realization of a 40 m² wooden extension of my house: 2nd semester 2021
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 16/05/11, 15:30

The main thing in insulation is to insulate the attic, rather in cellulose wadding, because rock wool is irritating, even dangerous (more than glass wool) and may one day be banned like asbestos.
It is very profitable and even more by doing it yourself (strong protection against rock wool very irritating and dangerous for the skin, eyes and lungs or against the borate of cotton wool)

Then crucial, well before the doors and windows, DV, radiators, electricity, and the rest aesthetic, strongly insulate thermal walls and bridges because otherwise the heating economy will remain low, compared to the possible.
Finally, try to put solar heating for at least autumn and spring, with the sun of Vaucluse, even with cheap simple collectors, with air and thermal windows.
read this whole site and econology:
http://www.apper-solaire.org/
http://www.apper-solaire.org/?Pratique
and also the perpetual renewable without nuclear, without oil, without gas, without coal, without CO2, declared monstrosity by sarkozy, who prefers the risk of a Chernobyl-Fukushima in France:
http://www.dlsc.ca/DLSC_Brochure_f.pdf
http://www.dlsc.ca
who walks at 1000m altitude in canada much colder !!
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 16/05/11, 15:40

Here is a description well done!

I strongly recommend aluminum windows, which - whatever you may say - heat conductor. Instead take double glazing / PVC windows. Not difficult to break such a contract, if you bet on energy savings ... Maybe your supplier also does this type of window. In this case no problem ...

But I strongly advise you to cancel as soon as possible.

Question of soundproofing, the plastic windows with double or triple glazing are fantastic, we are not far from an airport and since then there has been silence ...

For the rest, there is no rush, I will come back to this later ...
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 16/05/11, 15:53

In sound insulation, it's even too much, we no longer hear storms, thunderstorms, or lightning!
You have to look at the precise insulation characteristics, the air stream leaks in the corners (sliding windows) and be wary of professional scams which sometimes look at their profits (max margin) more than the interest of their client.
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 16/05/11, 15:56

Yes of course. Let's not forget that the interest of these windows is above all their thermal insulation (cf the sound insulation being due to the weight of the glazing ...)
0 x
Coati84
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Coati84 » 24/06/11, 00:43

Hi,

A large part of the aluminum DV windows have been installed in full renovation today. 1 fenestron is problematic with the attached photo where we see that part of the plaster and concrete block have disappeared around the top of the frame.

The installation team returns tomorrow. What should they do? Put some concrete and plaster around the screw? Should they completely remove the frame, redo the associated masonry - even if it was not planned - and install the frame? Are there any other suggestions?

Thank you in advance for your quick contributions if possible. I am not an expert and am a little worried. I count on your feedback and wise advice.

Note:
All the other windows are no problem and the pieces of concrete block removed around the fenestron come from the installation team.

www.econologie.com/fichiers/partager2/130 ... QFer7N.jpg

www.econologie.com/fichiers/partager2/130 ... lB6eqx.jpg
0 x
Coati84 - realization of a 40 m² wooden extension of my house: 2nd semester 2021
Coati84
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Coati84 » 24/06/11, 00:51

Last question for the night:

The French windows of the living room will be installed tomorrow knowing that a future tiling will be installed in September 2011. The height of the hold is normally 15 mm.

The tile that I will install on my current tile (granito from the 60s with 25 x 25 cm tiles) is an 11 mm thick glazed porcelain stoneware tile with 60 x 60 cm tiles. The installation of this new tiling may require the installation of a mortar and a double-sizing. Don't I have an interest in having a 20 mm shim even if there is a very slight resumption of masonry on the upper part of the masonry frame?

Thank you in advance for your contributions.
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 24/06/11, 03:41

This is a detail, and they will shamelessly plaster so that nothing is visible !!

The holes were too close to the surface at the cement plaster junction which did not withstand a violent drilling with great power !!

It does not matter, the window will hold mechanically !!

What I see, with this chipped concrete and cement, is that you have a beautiful thermal bridge on all the frames of your windows and the walls are not insulated !!
So at the thermal level, changing the doors and windows is almost useless !!

you did not listen to the general opinion:
Then crucial, well before the doors and windows, DV, radiators, electricity, and the rest aesthetic, insulate strong the walls and thermal bridges because if not the economy in heating will remain weak, compared to the possible one.

So your economy will be that of the attic insulated in proportion to their surface area compared to the walls, but very insufficient for the rest compared to your expenses !!

In your place I would not have changed the windows.

If later you insulate from the outside, (gas heating at exploding prices in the future?) You will have to move them outside to remove these thermal bridges.
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 24/06/11, 06:48

Ditto notice! You did not listen to the general opinion, we said: no aluminum!

It is heresy to have done that, really very sorry to say it ...! This all the more so since all aluminum surfaces become in themselves powerful thermal bridges. It was better to do nothing as Dedelco reminds us. There it could not be worse.

The double / triple glazing with aluminum frame is a real scam.
There is nothing to do.
0 x
Coati84
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Coati84 » 24/06/11, 09:09

Thank you Dedeleco and Obamot.

I took note of your comments but tell you that my old wooden windows were in terrible shape and I had to change them. Finally, achieving external insulation in Provence by a professional is almost impossible from a financial point of view.

Regarding the windows, I opted for aesthetic concerns, comfort and mechanical resistance for aluminum windows. I understand very well that at the thermal level, there will be thermal bridges at the level of the frames ... which however existed previously. To be clear, the thermal problems around the window frame frames have not been improved. As a reminder, my house in 1962 has no thermal insulation and I have a limited budget exposed above to carry out renovation works. However, the thickness of the concrete and / or concrete walls provides appreciable inertia in Provence.

Regarding this real problem of thermal bridge around the aluminum frame, what do you advise me concretely as the most pragmatic solution:
1] recement the part of fallen cement to have at least the same masonry frame as before this intervention,
2] completely remove the frame and redo the associated masonry. Should we associate thermal correction measures on this masonry frame redone: joint compribande ... I do not know the thermal solutions related to the insulation between a masonry frame and window frames whether they are aluminum or PVC.

Thank you in advance for your contributions.
0 x