Your smartphone (Google) is listening to you: experience of Aloe Vera and Dupontel's pétanque

General scientific debates. Presentations of new technologies (not directly related to renewable energies or biofuels or other themes developed in other sub-sectors) forums).
Christophe

Your smartphone (Google) is listening to you: experience of Aloe Vera and Dupontel's pétanque

by Christophe » 12/10/19, 14:10

I had this experience, quite disturbing, about a year ago. I called him the experience of Aloe Vera and you will understand why.

I take advantage of the interest and worries about facial recognition Company-and-philosophy / France-recognition and facial-in-the-public-services-t16143.html to take the time to let you know.

The interest of this experience is that it can be reproduced by EVERYONE who has an Android / Google smartphone ... as long as it is "modern" enough ...

Here is the context of the experiment:

- It's summer 2018 in the middle of the day
- We are located in France in the North East
- The phone, a Samsung S8 bought in the spring 2018, is placed on the living room table. Today it is under android 9 but the S8 came out with an Android 7 so I do not know which version I was using at that time (7, 8? The 9 was released later ...)
- The 4G network activated and makes a Wifi point for a Playstation 4

I arrive in the living room with a new drink at theAloe vera and I say to my son:

"See I just bought a drink from theAloe vera, do you want to drip? "

We have a drink, I repeat many times Aloe vera... We launch the Youtube application of the PS4. The PS4 was already on in "menu" mode (no application launched).

It is important to mention that I did not NEVER done research on Aloe Vera on this new phone and even less on the PS4 nor on the Google account linked to this phone.

That day, I spoke to my son about Coluche and I wanted to show him "Coluche" videos so ...

So I logically do a search for "Coluche" on youtube PS4 ...

And there in the results, between 2 videos of Coluche, I have a video (not advertising) about Aloe Vera! : Shock: : Shock: : Shock:
It is well known that the themes "Coluche" and "Aloe Vera" are close and that one can be linked to the other. : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:

Too bad I did not have the reflex to take a screenshot ... but I think it was this video:

What can we learn from it?

To begin with, know that I have never configured or activated the "Ok Google" ie android voice search, so it is not possible that this comes from this functionality.

It can be deduced without too much risk that:

- Google / Youtube sniff vocally without your knowledge (but it is not possible to say if it is h24 or only during certain periods ...) because there is a big difference to exploit a voluntary text search and listen to a discussion

- the personalization of results is not only related to the device or internal cookies

- the personalization of the results is also linked to the IP and that it is cross platforms (exchanges between the systems / softwares) ... This can be rather disturbing and counterproductive for the large families, the children being able to obtain advertisements related to the parents' research ... and vice versa!

The last point, I had already noticed in 2017: electricity-electronics-informatics / Remarketing-retargeting-amazon-exchange-your-information-with-facebook-and-google-t15158.html

This experience is easily reproducible by anyone: you just have to speak vocally about a subject that you do not mention often and therefore which is not in your recent search history and see how your phone or the devices there. are connected behave ...

This has been confirmed by several friends on other topics: I suggest you to do this simple experiment by yourself and share the results! Choose a subject that is far or unknown from your usual subjects and observe the behavior of your phone / PS / computer within minutes or hours.

It is possible that it is necessary to insist several times this specific key word to have results and it is necessary that the system is in mode "listening", not on that it is it 24/24 as said above ... I specify well, I don't have facebook on my phone. Facebook confessed to listening or being able to activate the microphone without the user's consent (without that having changed much since !!)

In short, test, analyze, cry on the burial of your private life ... : Cheesy:

I had alerted here a few months ago that data was exchanged between the GAFA: electricity-electronics-informatics / Remarketing-retargeting-amazon-exchange-your-information-with-facebook-and-google-t15158.html

Conclusion: Facial recognition is simply an additional and logical step of these technologies that already largely flout our privacy for years ...

Edit addition, Albert Dupontel had the same experience but with pétanque:

ps: I am quite astonished that this subject, important, is not mentioned by yououtuber "superstars" ... oh yes they want to keep their income ...
0 x
GuyGadebois
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: “The Aloe Vera Experience” or how your google phone is bugged!

by GuyGadebois » 12/10/19, 14:18

Google (Youtube, therefore) also spies on "smart-tv". I bought an Android box to connect to my TV and through it I watched movies (and others) with my external hard drive connected by USB to the said box. One day when I was looking in the preferences of Youtube, I see the option "upload a video", I click and there, ALL the contents of my USB disk were referenced there !!! Nothing better to know someone than to "see" what he watches as film, series, documentaries and listens as music. I was stunned, I felt like I was being raped. Race results, box reset and resale on eBay.
0 x
“It is better to mobilize your intelligence on bullshit than to mobilize your bullshit on intelligent things. (J.Rouxel)
"By definition the cause is the product of the effect". (Tryphion)
"360 / 000 / 0,5 is 100 million and not 72 million" (AVC)
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 12/10/19, 14:19

there was a subject on this big spy where all devices with microphone and camera and even the closed phone or computer are "open". The commentator said that even the only remedy was to block the microphone and camera with a piece of thick opaque tape.
Guy, you still doubled me on the wire! : Cheesy:
0 x
"We make science with facts, like making a house with stones: but an accumulation of facts is no more a science than a pile of stones is a house" Henri Poincaré
pedrodelavega
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by pedrodelavega » 12/10/19, 23:21

Christophe wrote:[b] This experiment is easily reproducible by anyone:
So this phenomenon must be known. There are sources / articles about this?
0 x
GuyGadebois
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadebois » 12/10/19, 23:22

I tried, but it did not work. No aloe vera in pub.
0 x
“It is better to mobilize your intelligence on bullshit than to mobilize your bullshit on intelligent things. (J.Rouxel)
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 12/10/19, 23:54

Even if it's not impossible, it does not seem to be a reality ...

I work at cattle rancher services, I always have my phone in the front pocket of my rib so very well placed to capture conversations, and yet I never have recommendations related to the recurring topics of my conversations professional.

By cons I never use voice search, it can play ...

In any case, somewhere the phone must necessarily listen constantly since to react to the famous "ok google" the microphone must be connected ...
0 x
GuyGadebois
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadebois » 12/10/19, 23:55

Forhorse wrote:By cons I never use voice search, it can play ...

Never me either. I prefer to talk to a smartphone alone!
0 x
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 13/10/19, 11:14

Little info: an activist from I do not remember which NGO explained that when they met "secretly" to prepare a protest action (demonstration, sitting, media stunt, etc.), at the beginning they did not pay attention and did not understand why their project was leaking and the police were there before them !!! ??? ... Surely a mole among them? ... And then they understood that it was their smartphones that betrayed them, even extinct!

Now before each meeting, they put their smartphones off in a box that isolates their cookies-laptops!

NB: This subject and to bring closer to that of jean.caissepas : Company-and-philosophy / France-recognition and facial-in-the-public-services-t16143.html # p368917

... but I just saw that Christophe had just done it !!!

But how far will they stop? (Colouche)
0 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 13/10/19, 11:41

.. and I add, it's my paranoid side that speaks ... now I'm purposely doing research on anything and everything to scramble the tracks and (try to) jerk Facebook, Google and other GAFAM! :P :P :P

Not sure it works, but maybe the maxim Too much info kills info can bring some counter-power?

By the way, did you search on the internet: "econology comes from extraterrestrials" ?

You will see it is surprising! : Shock: (It's here)

(Sorry Christophe to glue you at once this label of alien mission on Earth :? , But it's for a good cause ! : Cheesy:)
0 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"
Christophe

by Christophe » 13/10/19, 13:10

pedrodelavega wrote:So this phenomenon must be known. There are sources / articles about this?

I did not look so I did not find (as I said youtuber seem to ignore) ... anyway I have never stumbled upon the info.

Nothing prevents you from trying to redo the experience, not that it works the 1ere time, not that it works at all following your config or following the changes of google ...
0 x

Back to "Science and Technology"