Weather: equivalence between mm of rain and snowfall?

General scientific debates. Presentations of new technologies (not directly related to renewable energies or biofuels or other themes developed in other sub-sectors) forums).
Christophe

Weather: equivalence between mm of rain and snowfall?

by Christophe » 29/01/15, 21:44

With the heavy snowfall coming, I was wondering if there was an equivalence between mm of rain and cm of snow?

Obviously there are several types of snow, linked to the type of flakes, therefore certainly not that an equivalence factor ... in addition the snow is compressible;)

science-and-technology / snowflake-geometry-following-t-and-humidity-t13240.html

Get your equations!
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 30/01/15, 00:10

I remember asking myself this question when I was a kid.

So I left a bucket outside one evening and measured the amount of water compared to the volume the next morning.
It was beautiful light snow. I had found 1/10 e.
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Christophe

by Christophe » 30/01/15, 09:53

Thank you little elephant for this experience.

A ratio of 10 seems coherent to me yes ... but I think it can be even higher
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 30/01/15, 11:05

Statistics give an average of 110 kg / m³, with a standard deviation of 40 kg which confirms the dispersed nature of this criterion. The ratio between the height of water in a snow gauge from the mass of snow and the height measured on the ground of this snow is thus often given as 1 mm per 1 cm (1/10 ratio). However, Canadian and American studies show that this ratio varies between 1/3 (very high temperature) and 1/30 (very cold weather) 10.

In fact, I recommend the whole article to you:

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neige
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 30/01/15, 12:30

0 x
Christophe

Re: Weather: equivalence between mm of rain and snowfall?

by Christophe » 09/12/20, 22:37

It has snowed well in Tyrol in recent days ... how many mm of rain is equivalent?

0 x
Exnihiloest
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Exnihiloest » 10/12/20, 22:35

Christophe wrote:With the heavy snowfall coming, I was wondering if there was an equivalence between mm of rain and cm of snow?

Obviously there are several types of snow, linked to the type of flakes, therefore certainly not that an equivalence factor ... in addition the snow is compressible;)

science-and-technology / snowflake-geometry-following-t-and-humidity-t13240.html

Get your equations!

The method. For each snow, it suffices to take a well-quantified volume of it, for example a cylinder of snow of radius r, over its entire thickness h, and to melt it.
If d is the density of snow (d <1), V the volume, P the weight, then P = V * d = pi * r² * h * d.
The melted snow gives a height h 'of water, same weight P, d = 1 therefore P = V = pi * r² * h', hence h '= h * d.
Clearly, the height of water h 'equivalent to a height of snow h is equal to h multiplied by the density of the snow (I did the calculation but it was trivial from the start). It remains to establish the densities of the snow of the different varieties, by the reverse operation, by measuring h and h '.
0 x
ENERC
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by ENERC » 11/12/20, 19:38

Christophe wrote:It has snowed well in Tyrol in recent days ... how many mm of rain is equivalent?

https://www.cactus2000.de/fr/unit/masssno.php
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 11/12/20, 20:33

Already given above :)

There is a factor of 10 to 20 between mm of fresh / powder snow and mm of rain ...

So if what fell in rain at the beginning of November in the south east (500 mm of rain) had fallen in winter in the form of snow, it would have given 5 to 10 m of snow in a few hours! : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:

The 2 m of snow in Tyrol a few days ago is therefore very playful! : Cheesy:
0 x
Exnihiloest
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Exnihiloest » 11/12/20, 21:16

Christophe wrote:Already given above :)

You asked the question to do the animation on the forum ?
Because there, normally, an engineer ....
I think it could have been in the 1920s certificate level.
0 x

Back to "Science and Technology"