Lithium Sulfur Battery

Cars, buses, bicycles, electric airplanes: all electric transportation that exist. Conversion, engines and electric drives for transport ...
Christophe

Lithium Sulfur Battery

by Christophe » 04/12/13, 09:29

Bonjour à tous

Researchers at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory in the US have recently demonstrated significant improvements in the properties of lithium-sulfur batteries.

The potential of this new battery chemistry is particularly interesting because it can store up to 3 times more electrical energy than conventional Li-ion battery. The problem is that these batteries degrade quickly and cycling (many recharging cycles) was limited to about 300 cycles.

But the Californian scientists have developed a lithium-sulfur battery that password 500 Wh / kg initially and retains 300 Wh / kg after 1000 refills, while Li-ion batteries on the market have capacities of 100 Wh to 200 Wh / kg. That is to say, basically, that these experimental Li-sulfur Password 3 times the capacity of current lithium-ion batteries at the start of its use after 2 1000 times recharge cycles.

For a car that would roll 20 000 km per year and whose battery could provide autonomous 200 km, we would need only about 125 refills in a year, 8 1000 years to recharge. It is not far from a functional battery. It would reach the 1 500 recharge cycles before descending down 300 Wh / kg capacity and we would drive.

See http://chargedevs.com/newswire/research ... chemistry/

It is not yet known, however, if we can recharge these batteries quickly and if they can withstand our winter cold.

two batteries three times lighter at a competitive price, this is what these new batteries represent if they reach the commercial stage.

Sincerely

Pierre Langlois, Ph.D., physicist
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 04/12/13, 11:57

Why suffer poor lithium?

0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 04/12/13, 12:40

Lithium sulfur is one of many electrochemical couples who are experienced to increase the energy density of batteries.

Today, no one can predict what technology will be tomorrow majority or a multitude of technologies will coexist.

I am sen train replace NiCd one of my cars by LiFePo4 elements that the manufacturer designates under the name Yttrium Lithium ...

I made this choice for issues of availability on the market and value for money (about 300 € / kWh) ... The future will say if it was a good choice.
0 x
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 04/12/13, 13:12

This explanatory comparison of different battery technologies is certainly not exhaustive but already interesting: http://www.ozo-vehiculeselectriques.com ... lectriques

More details on lithium batteries: http://www.ozo-vehiculeselectriques.com ... lectriques

Someone may have a more complete comparative without being too technical?
0 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 04/12/13, 13:34

Thank you for the link Grelinette 8)
The picture is clear and the values ​​are not inflated.
I almost tend to find pessimists.
Taking into account all the accessories of the battery (safe, connectors, BMS) I think it's more realistic.
0 x
Christophe

Re: Battery Lithium Sulfur

by Christophe » 24/05/17, 13:59

A lithium-sulfur battery, with graphene and carbon nanotubes, stores 3 times more energy

The 18 May 2017, a team of researchers from Rice University in Houston, led by Professor James Tour, announced that they have developed a prototype Li-ion battery capable of storing three times more energy than Commercial Li-ion batteries, while retaining 80% of its storage capacity after 500 recharging cycles! Normally, significant gains in the energy density of Li-ion batteries translate into a short lifetime of a few tens of recharging cycles, hence the promising nature of this new technology.

To fix the ideas, assuming a battery of 100 kWh (about 500 km of autonomy for an electric car) and an annual mileage of 20 000 km, such a battery will be recharged only fifty times in a year. Thus, 500 recharging cycles correspond, in this case, to about ten years of use, after which the battery would show a capacity of 80 kWh and a range of 400 km. However, since this battery would be three times lighter than the batteries used by Tesla at the moment, nothing can prevent its capacity from doubling to 200 kWh, resulting in 160 kWh at the end of 10 years, with an autonomy that would go from 1000 km to 800 km over that period. Besides such a 200 kWh battery would be 33% lighter than the current 100 kWh batteries from the Tesla Model S 100D. This is what this important discovery of Rice University researchers, who published their findings in an article in the ACS Nano Journal of the American Chemical Society, dated 16 May 2017, means.

To increase the energy density of Li-ion batteries, the graphite that makes up the anode must be set aside. This material, composed of stacked sheets of carbon atoms, has practically reached its limits of energy storage capacity. In order to go further, Professor Tour's team has developed a new anode, consisting of a forest of carbon nanotubes linked to a layer of graphene (hexagonal structure of carbon atoms forming a sheet of one Atom of thickness). The graphene layer is deposited on the surface of a thin sheet of copper. Here is the arrangement of the carbon atoms on the new anode, according to an illustration from the James Tour group (Rice University). *

The following: http://roulezelectrique.com/une-batteri ... -denergie/
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 24/05/17, 15:00

The lithium battery suffers never suffers from the cold: it must be heated permanently! The problem is that this heating consumes energy constantly even if it is not used: good for intensive use ... bad for occasional use

Finally anyway given the price of all the battery it can only be bought for a regular and well planned use

The batteries are used too quickly if one uses too much ... it is used if one does not use enough ... it is never content

keep that reminds me that the name of the electric car that broke a speed record in 1899 was already "the never happy"
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Jamais_contente
0 x
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 24/05/17, 15:14

Christophe wrote:
A lithium-sulfur battery, with graphene and carbon nanotubes, stores 3 times more energy

The 18 May 2017, a team of researchers from Rice University in Houston, led by Professor James Tour, announced that they have developed a prototype Li-ion battery capable of storing three times more energy than Commercial Li-ion batteries, while retaining 80% of its storage capacity after 500 recharging cycles! Normally, significant gains in the energy density of Li-ion batteries translate into a short lifetime of a few tens of recharging cycles, hence the promising nature of this new technology.
[...]

The following: http://roulezelectrique.com/une-batteri ... -denergie/

Every year there are several promising announcements of new battery technologies that are more efficient than those currently commercialized, and we regularly talk about it on this site.

My pessimistic side makes me say that we risk falling back in the same way as with oil, that marketing and economic stakes will make the industrialists keep a new battery technology more efficient under the elbow to continue Extract the maximum benefit from the old technologies that still generate some benefits.

Of course, R&D is expensive and the costs and investments must be amortized, but lobbies and shareholders firstly prioritize money that flows from day to day.

In short, in my opinion, apart from a shock similar to the oil shock that will affect the rare metals and force to react, we will long remain on the basic technology of Lithium battery.
0 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"
Christophe

by Christophe » 25/05/17, 10:25

Grelinette wrote:My pessimistic side makes me say that we risk falling back in the same way as with oil, that marketing and economic stakes will make the industrialists keep a new battery technology more efficient under the elbow to continue Extract the maximum benefit from the old technologies that still generate some benefits.

Of course, R&D is expensive and the costs and investments must be amortized, but lobbies and shareholders firstly prioritize money that flows from day to day.

There is truth in all this but the lithium technology marketed evolves, the practical evidence with 2 batteries I have on hand:

A) Lithium battery (air I presume?) Of my VAE purchased in 2009: 240Wh for 2.1kg or 114 Wh / kg
B) Lithium Polymer battery purchased model 2016: 22.2V * 12Ah = 260 Wh for 1.25 kg or 208 Wh / kg is almost double ...

So it is progressing concretely ... even if we (the econologists) would like it to go faster ...
0 x
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by moinsdewatt » 20/01/19, 20:52

Lisa: a European project for the development of lithium-sulfur batteries

December 24 2018

Embarked 13 partners - various research institutes and industrials including Renault -, the project Lisa (Lithium Sulfur for Safe Electrification), endowed with an envelope of 7,9 millions of euros, starts at the 1 January 2019 in order to develop a battery of lithium-sulfur traction for electric mobility.

Non-flammable solid electrolyte
The program whose schedule should spread over 43 months aims to develop as soon as possible a new battery for a secure electrification of mobility.

It is to overcome the limits and black spots associated with lithium-ion chemistry. The lithium-sulfur solution, without critical raw material, will allow electric vehicles to have a greater autonomy with batteries that are safer to operate, recharging faster, all with a lower production cost.

What makes these cells (20 Ah) less dangerous is their non-flammable solid electrolyte.

Promising chemistry
Project partners Lisa will also need to assess the sustainability of such batteries, both from an environmental and economic point of view.

If the Li-S cell prototypes already appear 2 times lighter than their lithium-ion equivalents, they still reach only 10% of the theoretical energy density of sulfur: 250-300 Wh / kg against 2.600 Wh / kg. It would seem that by improving materials, components and manufacturing, we can quickly exceed the threshold of 600 Wh / kg.

Light and heavy vehicles
With less space, the lithium-sulfur packs will have a much better capacity. This result pushes the 13 partners committed to imagine its exploitation in heavy vehicles, and especially in cars and buses.

They also believe that their work should also be used to improve other types of cells, particularly those that make up lithium-ion batteries.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.automo ... soufre/amp
0 x