Are we too marginal?

philosophical debates and companies.
Rajqawee
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Are we too marginal?

by Rajqawee » 01/03/21, 09:41

At the moment, I am asking myself a question (which has been with me for a long time), that of the title.

I think it has its place on this forum since we talk a lot about subjects on which we are often marginalized, against the tide:

- vegetable garden without weeding, without digging, without treating
-the impacts on the environment
- take an interest in biodiversity
-quest the relevance of use of such or such energy
-quest the epidemic management ...
-quest the economic model
-and many more !

Etc. Please don't go into these topics on this thread, that's not my intention!

In short, we learn, document on subjects very little mastered by the majority of people. And often by documenting ourselves, we take different paths, even very different from those taken by the majority: simply questioning the "classic path" is already an exception among the population.

What is the problem ? The potential problem that I see is that it makes it more and more ... difficult to interact with people who have not reasoned in the same way at all! The misunderstandings (of one another) are sometimes too great to be able to bridge the gap solely on the basis of tolerance and social exchange.

I can see it clearly through my children, who wonder why people act in such and such ways. And it is obviously for them that I am worried: if they become too marginalized by my own life choices, do I not penalize them, in a certain way, for their future life?
I have an example from my own childhood where I had a boyfriend who did not have TV (who at my parents' house was watched a lot). It shocked me. He didn't care and was charismatic enough that it didn't penalize him, but I'm not sure I wouldn't have found it "weird" in a less comfortable child ...

I would like to develop, but I prefer to let the conversation continue with your interventions and bounce back.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Are we too marginal?

by Ahmed » 01/03/21, 10:09

What you call "classic way" can be seen as a protocol, that is to say an operating method which seems adequate to an objective and which is self-justified by use. In other words, there is an infinity of possibilities, but this number decreases rapidly due to determinisms and limitations imposed by reality. A preferential route emerges and is practical despite the fact that its route is not necessarily optimized, because the passage is well cleared and it is easy to walk. For lovers of "off-piste" passages, their choice is justified by their perception of the non-optimization of the "main stream" path and especially because of an inadequate overall orientation.
Your question does indeed arise of the gap with the "others", the most conformist, because a good part of this gregarious mimicry results precisely from our social functioning. Part of the answer seems to me to be found in the evolutionary nature of things: this straightforward path is part of the systemic unthought, of the implicit social mechanism and unfolds without its functional consequences being formalized (knowing that the allegory of the path has limits: in particular, this path is traced gradually from the existing); therefore, it is quite clear that bifurcations are needed sooner or later, because the simple extension of what has already been traveled provides no assurance of its validity: on the contrary, there is no reason why the result of a non-choice, be it as here collective *, or positive for those who stick to it. From this point of view, children who will be warned of possible and even desirable bifurcations (without guarantee of success either, but all the same clearly more than relying on determinisms totally indifferent to our fate) will be less helpless in the face of to the consequences mentioned above.

* A "collective no choice" is a rather bizarre expression, but it expresses reality well, it seems to me.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
jean.caissepas
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by jean.caissepas » 01/03/21, 10:28

Very good subject in this period of too virulent exchanges, to which I refuse to answer so as not to add fuel to the fire.

Your experience reminds me a bit of mine:
- I don't like being a follower, neither a sheep nor a wolf, but I like to practice what makes me feel good only from a personal point of view (I heal my karma and like to follow my path at my own pace, helping from time to time those who got lost on theirs or on a path that was not theirs ...)
- I suffered in my youth and even now the taunts of other conformists who have trouble understanding that we do not like them:
- Why don't you make a wall around your house, hedges, trees, ... (I like to see far physically and mentally)
- Why don't you change your car? (my old VT still works, and I'm waiting for the right VE!)
- Why don't you go to the other side of the world? (to see the beaches, the sea, the sand, which I see not so far away without taking the plane)

Signed: A free thinker who does not like conflict because I consider it very often unjustified aggression and a waste of time!

I hope that this topic of discussion will remain Zeeeeeeennnnnnnnn!
3 x
Past habits must change,
because the future must not die.
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 01/03/21, 10:32

Ahmed
your use of roads and tracks is a good illustration of our road network where national highways have been replaced with perverse effects due to their real advantages. Long asphalt roads, without crossings, without slowing down at crossings of town and village, speed of movement, etc. It is the highway of conformism where we end up dozing, not realizing that the more the speed is high and more accidents are serious and consumption is excessive and passengers see only a long ribbon of no psychological interest due to the lack of variety in the landscape.
Riding on secondary roads, doing your garden without synthetic chemicals, breathing less polluted air, it has become marginal indeed, but little by little, things are changing which suggests a hope as for Pandora's box.
0 x
"We make science with facts, like making a house with stones: but an accumulation of facts is no more a science than a pile of stones is a house" Henri Poincaré
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 01/03/21, 11:04

We are in a society where we are subject to a sort of dictatorship of the norm. Everything is in the optimization, “the acceleration”Ahmed tells us. A model described by some (and rightly so) as “anthropotechnical”. And it's anti-democratic (Roland Gori tells us) Democracy is based on dialogue, discussion, where it is good to put forward your arguments, where it is important to discuss in order to make decisions, however, the truth in the name of which a decision can be taken in a democracy is found downstream of the discussion and not upstream.
Therefore, why fear something based on past behavior (upstream) rather than build on trust and the ability to be creative and produce future behavior that is useful for others, (downstream) It is indeed the peculiarity of education and training to be able to provide the necessary adaptation tools (for finally go beyond this simple adaptation). Failing that, we “manufacture fear” and we end up producing risk by dint of being afraid of it.

At a time when young people are not so much in the “narration”, That in the daily shoot at the“connexion”Via the woueb, it is rather to be hoped that for the good of their development, they will have all the full richness of their origin, specificities and personal reflections that will express THEIR difference throughout their career.

Since a very young age, I have been out of step (for various reasons, as much sociological, philosophical, political as economic, and that allowed me to constitute my own “niche” without which it would have been impossible for me to differentiate myself. , and which at certain times constituted a very high added value (I was almost one of the few to be able to offer the services that I offered around, long live the margin ...!). And it is not finished, it was further enriched as knowledge accumulated through experience in the field.
Last edited by Obamot the 01 / 03 / 21, 11: 13, 1 edited once.
0 x
eclectron
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by eclectron » 01/03/21, 11:11

All you have to do is see the citizens' convention, 150 average people, objectively informed and it turns out to be green! : Lol: (to schematize)

Rajqawee no worries about your children, have faith in life (these are not empty words or empty words), and everything will be fine for them, even the trouble. : Wink:

It is precisely your worry (fear), which everyone has in them, which maintains an ambient conformism and nothing significantly moves in the direction it should.

I will take an example: I would like to build an original house but I will not do it because if I think about resale and the average tastes of future buyers, I would have difficulty reselling this original house.
So I'm going to build an 'average' house.
This is what maintains conformism in society.
We are not always ready to pay the price for nonconformity. It is more comfortable to be a conformist.
Except that some people, more sensitive, not suffering from inconsistency, are ready to defy conformism, whatever the cost.
If your children are like that, they are the pearls of tomorrow.
0 x
whatever.
We will try the 3 posts per day max
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 01/03/21, 11:39

Obamot, your last paragraph is worrying in that it suggests that the maladjustment would be a possible criterion of better adaptation to the evolution of socio-economic conformism ... The maladjustment constitutes an advantage only compared to the understanding of an evolving world, not to a possible commodification that goes in the common sense.
Janic, one of the disadvantages of the motorway that you forget to mention is that it shields from the particular hazards of the route by focusing it exclusively on points A and B, thus eliminating any unscheduled opportunity.
Eclectron, the citizens' convention also produced a report, the content of which was immediately put back in a drawer, which shows the real purpose of this consultation: simply to create a diversion.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 01/03/21, 11:55

Ahmed wrote:Obamot, your last paragraph is worrying in that it suggests that the maladjustment would be a possible criterion of better adaptation to the evolution of socio-economic conformism ... The maladjustment constitutes an advantage only compared to the understanding of an evolving world, not to a possible commodification that goes in the common sense.

Completely agree, that's why I say (if I'm not mistaken):

[...] It is indeed the peculiarity of education and training to be able to provide the necessary adaptation tools. (to finally go beyond this simple adaptation)
This is the heart of the debate. I am afraid that what you rightly say will join what I think and lead the individuals concerned to “fade away as subjects”, they would no longer be the driving force of their own destiny. It is a sacrificial position, although they are not necessarily aware of it.
Last edited by Obamot the 01 / 03 / 21, 12: 01, 1 edited once.
0 x
Rajqawee
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Rajqawee » 01/03/21, 11:59

My point was also to highlight another phenomenon: if we become "too" different, it may be difficult to socialize. Isn't that marginalization? However, we also need to meet people, including meeting new people.

Also, we can find an effect ... how to say interesting in the fact of being different: it is a little the phenomenon of the prophet, the martyr, the one who "is right" against all the others. Could this enticing position sometimes lead us to choose different paths for this single reason?
0 x
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 01/03/21, 12:02

Rajqawee wrote:My point was also to highlight another phenomenon: if we become "too" different, it may be difficult to socialize.

Not at all. We are all social beings and our differences enrich us. Watch toddlers, be they Chinese, Papuan, French, or whatever, throw them in a sandbox and you will see how well they understand, communicate and play together despite the differences in culture and language. . We are all the same, and all different in the sense that each is unique. : Lol:
1 x

Back to "Society and Philosophy"