philosophical debates and companies.
Grald
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Patent the living

by Grald » 06/03/20, 17:15

Hello, multinationals have appropriated living things and plants : Evil:
https://information.tv5monde.com/info/e ... vant-29257

Before, copyright, although not being a patent prevented the creation of any patent, what is it now and does it apply to plants?
Are there any legal tricks, is there nothing to be done ...
0 x
GuyGadebois
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Patent the living

by GuyGadebois » 06/03/20, 17:18

If you are not a market gardener, the best you have to do is to give a damn about it and to plant what you want without asking anything from anyone.
0 x
“It is better to mobilize your intelligence on bullshit than to mobilize your bullshit on intelligent things. (J.Rouxel)
"By definition the cause is the product of the effect". (Tryphion)
"360 / 000 / 0,5 is 100 million and not 72 million" (AVC)
Grald
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Grald » 07/03/20, 09:54

Guygadebois, I'm not thinking of my vegetable garden (if that was the case, ok with you, I wouldn't give a fuck) but of the biopiracy of multinationals who steal the knowledge and plants of traditional healers (who then theoretically cannot no longer use their plants .. if there are any left because they are then looted to supply the labs)
0 x
Paul72
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Paul72 » 07/03/20, 10:18

in the EU, unless that has changed, there is no patenting on the living as far as I know. Plant variety certificates, yes, which protect the intellectual property of its creator (rights on their use)
1 x
I'm allergic to idiots: sometimes I even get a cough.
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 07/03/20, 10:34

Europe: multinationals can now patent life
0 x
"We make science with facts, like making a house with stones: but an accumulation of facts is no more a science than a pile of stones is a house" Henri Poincaré
Exnihiloest
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Exnihiloest » 07/03/20, 19:25

grald wrote:Hello, multinationals have appropriated living things and plants : Evil:

Before, copyright, although not being a patent prevented the creation of any patent, what is it now and does it apply to plants?
Are there any legal tricks, is there nothing to be done ...

Multinationals take nothing at all except what they create. In addition it is not ad aeternam, a patent falls into the public domain after 20 years.
Finally it is not a monopoly, no one prevents anyone from modifying the living and from patenting their own discoveries. Genetic sequencing is even within the reach of the biohacker (the real ones, not the hissers who do anything on themselves). Still it would be necessary to move the brains a little, and it is a little less simple than to grumble against the multinationals.
https://www.lemonde.fr/le-monde-2/artic ... 04868.html
0 x
GuyGadebois
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadebois » 07/03/20, 19:26

Exnihiloest wrote:Multinationals take nothing at all except what they create.

"We believed the patenting of plants not genetically modified impossible in Europe. However, the European Patent Office (EPO) has just granted several patents for vegetables for the benefit of international firms. "
0 x
“It is better to mobilize your intelligence on bullshit than to mobilize your bullshit on intelligent things. (J.Rouxel)
Exnihiloest
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Exnihiloest » 07/03/20, 19:58

GuyGadebois wrote:
Exnihiloest wrote:Multinationals take nothing at all except what they create.

"We believed the patenting of plants not genetically modified impossible in Europe. However, the European Patent Office (EPO) has just granted several patents for vegetables for the benefit of international firms. "

Patentability criteria
- New : the invention must be new, that is to say it must not relate to an innovation which has already been made accessible to the public
- Industrial application : the invention must be capable of industrial application, that is to say that it must be able to be manufactured or used regardless of the type of industry.
- Inventive step : the invention must involve an inventive step, that is to say that it must not be obvious from the technique known by “the skilled person”.

So if it is patentable, it is because it is not already listed.
So multinationals can only appropriate what they create, GMO or not.
0 x
GuyGadebois
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadebois » 07/03/20, 20:02

Exnihiloest wrote:So if it is patentable, it is because it is not already listed.

Unbreakable ... : roll:
0 x
Exnihiloest
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Exnihiloest » 07/03/20, 20:19

GuyGadebois wrote:
Exnihiloest wrote:So if it is patentable, it is because it is not already listed.

Unbreakable ... : roll:

Uncultivated... : roll:
Any multinational patent that does not meet these criteria will not be accepted, and even if it were, it could be easily attacked and subsequently void.
So you have to be innovative to patent, otherwise everyone could do it. If there are some who think they will be able to patent their dog, it is because they have understood nothing.
Last edited by Exnihiloest the 07 / 03 / 20, 20: 21, 1 edited once.
1 x

Back to "Society and Philosophy"