How to consume less and save?

philosophical debates and companies.
realistic ecology
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

How to consume less and save?

by realistic ecology » 18/11/19, 17:03

We offer many ways to consume less and save energy. Take your bike rather than the car, take public transport, use "low-consumption" lamps, do not give in to the sirens of fashion, etc. And so that we are less solicited, some even propose to put limits on advertising, for example by considering banning tempting advertisements for large SUV-like cars.
And after ?
What will we do after unspent purchasing power?
Will it be necessary to organize autodafés every end of the month, where everyone throws away the banknotes that they have not used?

Consuming less, in developed countries, is not only desirable, it is necessary. But what if purchasing power increases overall?
0 x
GuyGadebois
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: How to consume less and save?

by GuyGadebois » 18/11/19, 17:09

realistic ecology wrote:Consuming less, in developed countries, is not only desirable, it is necessary. But what if purchasing power increases overall?

Put aside in "virtuous" (La Nef, Crédit Coopératif), buy better and sustainable (made in France, made in Europe), eat healthier, insulate your hut, go solar, etc, etc ...
0 x
“It is better to mobilize your intelligence on bullshit than to mobilize your bullshit on intelligent things. (J.Rouxel)
"By definition the cause is the product of the effect". (Tryphion)
"360 / 000 / 0,5 is 100 million and not 72 million" (AVC)
realistic ecology
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by realistic ecology » 18/11/19, 17:38

GuyGadebois wrote:Put aside in "virtuous" (La Nef, Crédit Coopératif), buy better and sustainable (made in France, made in Europe), eat healthier, insulate your hut, go solar, etc, etc ...

You can "put aside in" virtuous "... and after? This virtuous will be transformed into virtuous consumption, but into consumption all the same.
You can "insulate your hut, go solar, etc" ... and after? If this saves you money (via grants), what will you do with those savings? Will you bury them in the garden? But not everyone has a garden ...
Reading your answers, I see that I wrote my title badly by not emphasizing enough the global side of the question; I should have written "how to consume less and save money overall". 
0 x
dede2002
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by dede2002 » 18/11/19, 17:55

We can also work less ...
1 x
Petrus
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Petrus » 18/11/19, 17:56

dede2002 wrote:We can also work less ...

+1
But for that, it would already be necessary to lower this curve:
https://data.oecd.org/fr/hha/dette-des-menages.htm
0 x
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 18/11/19, 18:00

realistic ecology wrote:We offer many ways to consume less and save energy. Take your bike rather than the car, take public transport, use "low-consumption" lamps, do not give in to the sirens of fashion, etc. And so that we are less solicited, some even propose to put limits on advertising, for example by considering banning tempting advertisements for large SUV-like cars.
And after ?
What will we do after unspent purchasing power?
Will it be necessary to organize autodafés every end of the month, where everyone throws away the banknotes that they have not used?

Consuming less, in developed countries, is not only desirable, it is necessary. But what if purchasing power increases overall?

It's simple, you have to work less to produce less. Return to virtuous things like short circuits, reusable containers which is necessarily less efficient in terms of performance.
Keynes, who can not be labeled a leftist, predicted it in the 30 years.
Establish a minimum income to allow those who wish to do things not worthless like visits, support for the most fragile, pick up waste ......
A whole society to rethink.
For example trips would not be a race, not 300km in a weekend but in 1week or more and we go slowly, why not on a bike.
1 x
GuyGadebois
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadebois » 18/11/19, 18:09

realistic ecology wrote:
GuyGadebois wrote:Put aside in "virtuous" (La Nef, Crédit Coopératif), buy better and sustainable (made in France, made in Europe), eat healthier, insulate your hut, go solar, etc, etc ...

You can "put aside in" virtuous "... and after? This virtuous will be transformed into virtuous consumption, but into consumption all the same.
You can "insulate your hut, go solar, etc" ... and after? If this saves you money (via grants), what will you do with those savings? Will you bury them in the garden? But not everyone has a garden ...
Reading your answers, I see that I wrote my title badly by not emphasizing enough the global side of the question; I should have written "how to consume less and save money overall". 

Virtuous consumption could change the situation. Today, when we see that Nike offers subscriptions * for children 2 10 years, it should not be surprising to go into the wall (first example that came to my mind). Consuming well, it is giving work to the premises (Europe, even if it is vast), it is possible to relocate, buy repairable goods is to give work to the artisans, it is thus to revalorise the manual work ( no it's not a big word), so it's reducing unemployment. Increased purchasing power (through a better distribution, a sharing of wealth) goes hand in hand with better nutrition, better health, less social cost for society, investments in education, pensions, hospitals, depollution, passive constructions, non-polluting materials, etc., etc. And there is no question of burying anything in the garden, since there are virtuous investments. The money, it must circulate.

* https://www.la-croix.com/Economie/Entre ... 1201041283
Last edited by GuyGadebois the 18 / 11 / 19, 18: 21, 2 edited once.
0 x
“It is better to mobilize your intelligence on bullshit than to mobilize your bullshit on intelligent things. (J.Rouxel)
"By definition the cause is the product of the effect". (Tryphion)
"360 / 000 / 0,5 is 100 million and not 72 million" (AVC)
eclectron
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by eclectron » 18/11/19, 18:15

Petrus wrote:But for that, it would already be necessary to lower this curve:
https://data.oecd.org/fr/hha/dette-des-menages.htm

In the current system it does not make much sense, it would be the insured crash.
Absolutely any money in circulation even the savings, is debt.
No debt, means no money to exchange.
It is, therefore, the system of money that must be changed; it requires perennial currency.
0 x
whatever.
We will try the 3 posts per day max
eclectron
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by eclectron » 18/11/19, 18:18

realistic ecology wrote:What will we do after unspent purchasing power?

Building a healthy and sustainable world ... so yes, that means consuming useful.
1 x
whatever.
We will try the 3 posts per day max
realistic ecology
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by realistic ecology » 18/11/19, 18:21

phil53 wrote:It's simple, you have to work less to produce less.

That's the theory, and I'd love it to be possible.
Work less to live more. More links and no more goods.
But is it possible?
Which party will get elected on promises such as "We promise to work less, but also to earn less and have smaller cars… vote for us." ! Election rout guaranteed!

And all this concerns only the developed countries. As for emerging countries, they pedal hard to consume a little more each day.
0 x