Self-construction of a solar panel

Solar thermal energy in all its forms: solar heating, hot water, choosing a solar collector, solar concentration, ovens and solar cookers, solar energy storage by heat buffer, solar pool, air conditioning and solar cold ..
Aid, counseling, fixtures and examples of achievements ...
Philippe Schutt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Self-construction of a solar panel

by Philippe Schutt » 27/10/19, 11:17

Following the message from Looping:
loop wrote:Hello
A solar panels manufacturer of sensors found this solution, between tubes and Plans
So the mockers!
It does not look so bad, but I do not read German
http://www.solarfocus.at/html/cpc_technik.html
A+

The link is no longer valid, take http://www.solarfocus.com/de/produkte/s ... -collector
I had fun making a sign in the same spirit, but to fix on the wall because I do not have a roof to the south
solar panel.jpg
solar panel.jpg (166.48 KIO) Accessed 8200 times

Given the shadows of neighboring roofs, it is in the sun from 10h30 to 17h
surface: 0,8m2 and it is not under vacuum ... The reflectors are of course the shape it takes to return the rays on the tube for a sun 35 ° to 65 °.
it is connected to the primary of a plate heat exchanger, with a hot water loop pump currently set to 70L / h
The 150L flask (existing) is heated by thermosiphon from the secondary of the plate heat exchanger.

For now, it's not good:
-I can only recover 0.5kwh a day at best
- without drawing water during 1 sunny week the balloon does not exceed 34 °, the panel stabilizing towards 45 °.

I have already identified several causes:
-the window fogged up which created a deposit on the inside
I should have taken a glass of low reflection?
-I painted the tubes in black, it was better to blacken them by chemical treatment
-installing it vertically is a little exaggerated, with a sun at 60 ° the apparent surface is only 0,4m2
-the surface is too weak
-the pipes are long, in the 16m in all, insulated with 6mm thick foam. Maybe not enough ...

In any case, I discover many reasons that lead the yield of these things !!
2 x
Philippe Schutt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Self-construction of a solar panel

by Philippe Schutt » 05/04/20, 19:37

I was able to recover a classic plan panel out of service from Saunier-Duval. After summary repair, installation in place of my DIY.
So there is no photo, the efficiency is immensely superior. Having struggled to purge (it took + -15mn), I got steam on my fingers and a nice bulb. The self-built panel would never be mounted so hot.
So why?
these are the differences which in my opinion are the cause:
1. the surface: 2,4m2 or 3x more. necessarily, we get 3x more
2. low losses: on my panel, the glass was at T ° of water, in fact the whole panel emitted strongly towards the ambient environment. There, the glass is almost cold while the water comes out at 60 °. : Shock: This shows that my reflectors were not good enough, although in "mirror" polished stainless steel. And these smart guys have stuck a plastic sheet (mylar?) On the back of the glass, which creates some insulation. Probably also a low reflexivity glass.

In conclusion, for an amateur manufacture the reflector system was a bad idea, it is better to absorb the radiation immediately. On the other hand, fixing the panels on a vertical wall works very well.
1 x
wirbelwind262
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by wirbelwind262 » 05/04/20, 22:18

0 x
A.D. 44
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by A.D. 44 » 05/04/20, 22:33

Industrial flat panel not too darn:

Selective coating, thermal insulation of the bottom, and prismatic glass.
0 x
A.D. 44
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by A.D. 44 » 05/04/20, 22:43

Re,

That said, I really like your self-construction experience (even if, as you confirm, the result is often disappointing).

It is always instructive and it shows a real desire to embark on thermal solar.

Well done.
1 x
Philippe Schutt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Philippe Schutt » 06/04/20, 21:17

In fact, by concentrating the rays of a 13cm strip on a 14mm tube, I hoped to have less re-emission than a flat panel, even treated super high-tech. Unfortunately, a large re-emission occurs before the rays hit the tube.
For example, I saw the reflection of the glass on the wall of the neighboring building. already a good bundle of energy that didn't even fit in the panel.
However, from a visual point of view, my panel seemed blacker than that of SD.
It seems to me that by tripling the size and improving everything a little and above all the glass I would reach an acceptable level.

on other points, the industrial panel is questionable, for example aluminum foil welded on copper tubes: with different expansions, all this was well deformed. personally, I would not have dared ...
0 x
A.D. 44
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by A.D. 44 » 07/04/20, 00:09

Difference between classic and extra white glass (low in iron).

Selective coating (low emissivity), sometimes with bluish reflections (not completely black)
0 x