Solar + wind (connection question)

Forum solar photovoltaic PV and solar electricity generation from direct radiation solar energy.
matx
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Solar + wind (connection question)

by matx » 23/10/08, 19:05

Bonjour.

Your forum To the air filled with competent people so I just registered and I just ask my question hoping to receive some clarification.

question 1
I own 5 solar panels with batteries / inverter and I would like to put a wind turbine to be able to create energy at night and / or in bad weather. My question is the following: How to connect the wind turbine to my batteries? How much regulator is needed? Is it necessary to have a regulator for the panels and another one for the wind turbine or can we connect these two energy sources at the same time? time and on the same regulator? I have seen solar regulator MPPT models that still save a few watt, is it possible to connect panels and wind turbine on models like those presented on this site? http://www.enr-boutique.com/boutique/li ... =34&num=16

question 2
I only have 5 panels in my possession and I would like to add a few.
Can I add in the installation of solar panels of brand or different intensity Should it put a different regulator for each panel battery

Merci de votre attention.
matx

Good luck and thank you all for this beautiful forum(Admin, modo, member). :D
Last edited by matx the 23 / 10 / 08, 19: 31, 1 edited once.
0 x
bpval
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by bpval » 23/10/08, 19:30

Hi Matx

citation
"I would like to put a wind turbine to be able to create energy at night and / or in bad weather"

You certainly meant "when it's windy" : Mrgreen:

If Elephant goes to the corner or another one he will answer you

In my opinion, it's possible technically (economically it's another story)

Then I say 5 panels is quantitative ... but how many m2 and how much power peak

Need to dig a little bit the problem

Although I am not really an expert in the field, if you better define your request, maybe you will have an answer from one of the members 8)

Hello
0 x
PIF PAF POUM
matx
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by matx » 23/10/08, 20:07

Thank you for your prompt answer bpval :)

There are 5 panels dim: 1.28m / 67cm of 100w each, but the peak power I do not know it: s.
I think you are asking me this to know if the regulator will cash in the power of the two systems, I don't know the figures but the regulator that I have for the moment looks more like a toy than a regulator "which cash". it is a 30A / 24V.

I hope this will be worth the answer of one of the members;)
matx
0 x
loop
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by loop » 23/10/08, 22:26

Hi Matx

One can assimilate the PV sensors or a wind turbine to a generator with a nominal output voltage, and a finite power.
This is called Watt crete for PV and max power for a wind generator type.
These generators can be connected in parallel, as long as their nominal voltage is close. (12 V?)
A regulator is only necessary if the charge current exceeds 10% of the AH capacity of the batteries.
The probability that there is a lot of wind on a very sunny day forces you to calculate the maximum instantaneous power, and therefore the maximum load intensity that you could observe that day.
So size the stock of batteries or choose the appropriate regulator.
Once the batteries are charged, it is better to avoid applying an over-voltage (> 14V) to them, this is also where the regulator has a role to play, otherwise you have to "consume" the fresh KWh.

There is a solution that seems really nice to me (because it does not require batteries), it is the inverter connected to the home network, and the instantaneous production of which “lightens” the consumption recorded on the EDF meter.

A+
0 x
matx
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by matx » 27/10/08, 20:47

Thank you for your answer Looping :)

I do not know how to make such a calculation, but in principle the regulators should automatically turn off the power if there is problem of on or off, right?

It is a wind turbine model like this one that I would like to install:
http://www.enr-boutique.com/boutique/fi ... g=1&num=14 who have their own regulator

and I own 6 100w panel (SCHOTT Solar ASE-100-GT-FT) it seems to me that these are 12v. + battery (12 * 2v) and inverter.

How to connect them in parallel and do this calculation? :|
And can the batteries be loaded at the same time by 2 different source?
Thank you
0 x
loop
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by loop » 27/10/08, 21:58

Hi Matx

If the voltage output regulator is insufficient, nothing happens because it is necessary to at least reach the battery voltage to start charging.
If the voltage exceeds 14V, part of the current is diverted to a resistance which will "diffuse" in the form of heat, this excess energy. Needless to say, what exceeds the capabilities of the regulator is lost.
The regulator is there to protect the battery overload, but to choose, it is better a large capacity that would not fear the over-voltage, so the over-intensity.

If I take my experimental setup as an example, I have 4 12V batteries from 75AH in parallel, the equivallent of a single 12V battery from 300AH, so I can inject 30A without ricochet to degrade it.

The wind turbine must never run empty, otherwise it will go into over speed and risk destroying the rotor. The proposed brake is a short-circuiting of 3 phases, which creates a powerful electromagnetic brake.

Your 6 12V solar panels connected in parallel could produce 600W, or 50A in peak.
Mounted as 3 serial pairs in parallel, the output voltage would be 24V but the intensity would be limited to 25A.
It would be more logical to work in 24V because of the output voltage of the wind turbine.
But the connection of 2 sets would require you to equip a big, even very big regulator!

Here is the direct link to the manufacturer of the material mentioned in your message (the price is still more affordable)

http://www.futurenergy.co.uk/turbine.html

If you are interested in a feedback, consult this page which explains well the operation with inverter on the network of the house, formula that exists also for PV.

http://www.chaleurterre.com/forum/viewsujet.php?t=7901$

A+
0 x
Terra Eco
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Terra Eco » 05/11/08, 18:13

Hello Matx,

For the question 1
Unless you have a "hybrid" regulator, you need 2 regulators, one for the wind turbine, the other for your array of panels connected in parallel on the same battery bank
You can download from the net the installation manual of the wind turbine concerned which possibly specifies the "hybrid" wiring diagram (see SouthWest for example)
We can send you this notice if you can not find it
Last edited by Terra Eco the 05 / 11 / 08, 21: 44, 2 edited once.
0 x
cordially
Terra Eco
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 05/11/08, 21:23

Sorry, I'll give you a pro answer:

There are inverters (I will not mention any brand) that manage with the arrival of upstream current and the downstream load.
In alternative, we put them well in parallel.
There should be models that do it continuously.
Nothing prevents you from charging different groups of batteries and switching them.
That said, I am not a fan of the island, except for high mountain sites and isolated atolls. the yield is not famous.
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 05/11/08, 21:48

: Arrow: There are regulators with 2 entries;
- 1 entrance photovoltaic panels
- 1 wind inlet.

Your regulator 30A 24V cash so 720W

I remind the role of the regulator, prevent overcharging batteries that could destroy them ... But also prevent their deep discharge that is just as destructive ...
0 x
loop
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by loop » 06/11/08, 06:33

Hello

I remind the role of the regulator, prevent overcharging batteries that could destroy them ... But also prevent their deep discharge that is just as destructive ...

To avoid overloading, the regulator dissipates excess power over an electrical consumer of the resistor type, as soon as the voltage across the battery exceeds a certain threshold (usually 14 V) or the charging current exceeds a certain value. .
I think that in the case of the charge of a battery, the voltage and the maximum intensity are linked. (if one does not exceed 14V, no risk of exceeding the maximum intensity of 10% of the battery capacity)
There are charge regulators which "send" this over production on a circuit parallel to the batteries, to which a "consumer" device of the DHW tank type will be connected ...

On the other hand, to control the discharge, I think that only the regulator / battery charger connected to the network has the possibility of switching to "charger" mode when the low threshold is reached (approximately 11.5 V)

It is more common to find on the DC / AC (inverter) converter an alarm or security that triggers at the discharge threshold.

If you have information on another type of equipment, with other functions, you are a taker.

A+
0 x