Worries about stand-alone installation

Forum solar photovoltaic PV and solar electricity generation from direct radiation solar energy.
YannBZH
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Worries about stand-alone installation

by YannBZH » 27/08/18, 15:16

Hello,

I start in autonomous photovoltaics.

My install:
Panels: 2x100w mono and 2x100w poly, serial / parallel wired
Regulator: Epever Tracer 40A, with remote box MT50
Converter: 12v / 230v pure sine 2500w
Batteries: 2 x 12v 85Ah (C5), saline.

In July, and regularly orienting my panels, I managed to produce 1,4Kwh
But this day, it's almost the cat ...

I know that the sunshine is not the same ... But at this point, there must be a problem somewhere.
My need is low: 1 laptop 14h: day and some led lights.

At the time I write these lines (15h), I have sun. But :
My regulator displays my PV: 41.7v and ... 1.3w only.
Where I often saw 200w and sometimes 300w, rare are the times when I get more 20w ... My batteries, which used to go up to 13,5v are today rather on 11v.

My investment capacity is around 150 € / month. And I intend to continue with the purchase of panels and batteries. But I would like before to understand where there is, I think, problem. Regulator, batteries ???

Thank you for helping me identify the failure.
0 x
Bardal
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Re: Worries about standalone installation

by Bardal » 27/08/18, 16:10

This strongly resembles a (or) wiring error in your photovoltaic panels and / or batteries.
You do not tell us in which voltage do you operate, 12 or 24 V? I guess it's 12 V.
In any case, you should not find 41 V on your panels. It is likely that with this voltage, your regulator and / or your converter will regulate and prevent any charging of your batteries; unless one or the other has been damaged ...

Try to put here an electrical diagram of your installation; this will allow to see a little more clearly. Normally the PV panels marketed in 12 V (sometimes in 24 V); there is therefore no reason to cable them in series for installation in 12 V.
0 x
A.D. 44
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by A.D. 44 » 27/08/18, 16:59

Hello,

bardal wrote: Normally commercialized PV panels charge in 12 V (sometimes in 24 V)

Is that so ?!!?!?!?
0 x
Bardal
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Bardal » 27/08/18, 19:13

This is the most common case for consumer panels; of course, no one prevents wiring for different voltages, but it is less common for large-scale panels.

Moreover, this does not mean that their production voltage is 12 volts (if it were the case, no battery charge of this voltage would be possible), but simply that they are designed for a circuit operating in 12 volt ...

Why this question? Is there a reason (it is still a trivial matter), my suggestions would they be wrong? Do you have another more relevant answer? Or different?
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 27/08/18, 22:13

Hello,
PVs in // can be problematic if they are not exactly paired and if there are no bypass diodes.
Probably a broken cell. A voltage measurement should be made at the terminals of each panel.

As Bardal asked, a diagram with the characteristics of each element would help us.
0 x
A.D. 44
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by A.D. 44 » 27/08/18, 22:48

Sorry for the answer so late ...

Do not take it badly bardal, my question was just waiting for an answer that's it!

Being neither electrician (even less electronic ...) I am not qualified at all to provide an answer (and I apologize) to yannBZH. What's more remotely without, actually, know anything about the installation.

On the other hand, on the only point that asked me question, it seems to me (but maybe I am wrong) that the output voltage of panels is not regulated either in 12 or 24 ...

Random Balthazar, a small update on the operation of a solar panel: http://www.energiedouce.com/content/14- ... x-solaires

in extract:

"On the product sheets on our site, you will find the names 12V and 24V, in reality the voltage delivered by these solar panels is much higher (respectively 18-20V and 36-40V); This name is 'popularized' in order to quickly find out whether a particular product is suitable for a battery system connected to 12V or 24V "

on that, good night.
0 x

Back to "Renewable energy: solar electricity"