Plastic renovation of my Florab shredder that has become brittle with UV rays and the weather?

And if they were repairing rather than throwing and change? Rediscover the pleasure of the repairs yourself. How to diagnose a problem or find spare parts? Repair itself is way to save money generally!
Christophe

Plastic renovation of my Florab shredder that has become brittle with UV rays and the weather?

by Christophe » 10/07/21, 20:30

Because I was not using it, I awkwardly left my electric shredder for several seasons in a row (3 years it seems to me) in the garden without any real protection against bad weather, just with the bin on it to protect the mechanical part (it was made for) ...

It was oriented almost due south ...

A few days ago, when I wanted to use it again, it started up, no problem with the mechanical and electrical part, just a little lubrication and adjustment and it was good.

On the other hand, the plastic of the bin broke my hands in 2 places and without really forcing ... In short, it became very brittle.
Definitely UV :( and can be a little the daily and seasonal temperature delta.

Question: could there be a miraculous method (chemical treatment ...) to restore its flexibility to a plastic that has become brittle by UV rays? I do not know what plastic it is, it is translucent, its color has not changed. I just know acetone melts abs ...

Plastic_cassant.jpg
Plastique_cassant.jpg (124.06 KiB) Viewed 3161 times

Plastic_cassant_2.jpg
Plastique_cassant_2.jpg (181.26 KiB) Viewed 3161 times
0 x
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Plastic renovation of my shredder which became brittle with UV rays and the weather?

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 10/07/21, 20:49

Christophe wrote:Question: could there be a miraculous method (chemical treatment ...) to restore its flexibility to a plastic that has become brittle by UV rays?

Nope.
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Plastic renovation of my shredder which became brittle with UV rays and the weather?

by Macro » 10/07/21, 21:18

Polytrol in maintenance ... But now it's too late ....
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
Christophe

by Christophe » 10/07/21, 21:52

Too late ... damn ...

Polytrol? How does it work and with some types of plastics?

ps: is it a synonym of exni, Izy and ABC? : Mrgreen:
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 10/07/21, 21:59

Originally it was for boats ... I think ... I used it on the bumpers of 80th cars ...
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 10/07/21, 22:24

once the pastic is "cooked", there is nothing more to do, it's dead ... Make a new tray out of (thin) steel sheet?
Last edited by Ahmed the 10 / 07 / 21, 22: 26, 1 edited once.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 10/07/21, 22:26

Ahmed wrote:once the pastic is "cooked", there is nothing more to do, it's dead ... Replace the plastoc by (thin) steel sheet?

Encapsulate it with fiberglass and epoxy then gild with fine gold?
1 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 10/07/21, 23:50

As long as you have retrieved the handle that provides security, you do not need a bin. You still have to put a container underneath to avoid putting your hands underneath.

Otherwise you have a better chance of buying a practically new second-hand shredder for less than 50 Euros. Many buy this and use it once then put it in a corner like you :P https://www.leboncoin.fr/recherche?cate ... ice=min-50
0 x