Chinese piston regrowth (Soontrans, Homeway, One Tools ...) not usable, to modify?

And if they were repairing rather than throwing and change? Rediscover the pleasure of the repairs yourself. How to diagnose a problem or find spare parts? Repair itself is way to save money generally!
Christophe

Chinese piston regrowth (Soontrans, Homeway, One Tools ...) not usable, to modify?

by Christophe » 30/10/19, 12:12

I have to change my brake discs, so I decided to invest in a piston regrowth because it's the most boring step in this job.

Obviously I take a 1st Chinese price since I will use this tool rarely in my life ... there are "universal" boxes at less than 30 € ... it is less than the change labor for 1 disc ...

So I take a Chinese model on the internet at the same time as the auto parts I wanted:

DSC_1538.JPG
DSC_1538.JPG (334.72 KB) Viewed times 5257

There are a lot of clones ... all the same boxes ... similar prices ...

Only sorry but it seems to me (unless I really really became very stupid in mechanics) that this product is not finished or poorly designed and not usable in the state. We can not use the central plate because the 2 pushes piston are not at all removable!

In short, we must be able to do this:
150.1965_n1.jpg
150.1965_n1.jpg (7.71 KIO) Accessed 5257 times

So you need a notched piece like this one:

150.1965_n2.jpg
150.1965_n2.jpg (14.35 KIO) Accessed 5257 times

It is therefore necessary to grind this plate so that it can be used with the piston 2 regrowth or it can also cut 1 2 stop clamping axes but it will be less convenient to use ...

DSC_1539.JPG
DSC_1539.JPG (256.8 KB) Viewed times 5257

The worst thing is that nobody seems to say it in the 139 comments:

A if there is ONE who makes the remark:

29th May 2018
Verified Purchase
The plate can not be stopped until the stem is grinded to rotate the thread. Once this problem is working properly
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Chinese piston pushback (Soontrans, Homeway, One Tools ...) not usable, to modify?

by izentrop » 30/10/19, 13:16

I'm doing very well with this kind of pump clampImage
0 x
Christophe

Re: Chinese piston pushback (Soontrans, Homeway, One Tools ...) not usable, to modify?

by Christophe » 30/10/19, 13:22

Yes it is valid on old vehicles (before 2000 ???) and motorcycles but on "new" ones (uh my car dates from 2005 ...) you must now turn the piston at the same time as push it back. .
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 30/10/19, 16:36

the pistons that need to be turned are usually those with the integrated parking brake.
It's not new, it was already the case on some citroën years 80 / 90
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 30/10/19, 18:42

Yes it is indeed my case ...

What should, question of cost and reliability become a standard everywhere! Why mount 2 braking system?

The BMWs still had a mechanical handbrake (a real shit) until the end of the 2000 ... after I do not know!
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 30/10/19, 21:20

Question of simplicity and cost.
The "normal" calipers (without parking brake therefore) are simple pistons, why complicate your life to add a system (?) Unnecessary.
The calipers with park brakes incorporate an automatic wear-compensating system for the park brake (where it is done naturally with the brake fluid which compensates for the volume of wear on those without park brakes). where the need to turn them to get them in (to reset the catch-up system)

It's not complicated: park brake = you shoot while pushing, no park brake = you just shoot.
Personally I do that with a clamp, and for those who must turn I galley a little more, but I never felt the need to buy a tool specifically for that
0 x
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 01/11/19, 08:11

Forhorse »30 / 10 / 19
you are right!
what you have to do is not only forcefully push back the piston, but also open the bleed screw to facilitate its insertion (anyway you have to purge to replace an aging liquid, loaded with water, and in addition corrosive .) and there the rotating piston will turn all alone since the necessary effort becomes minimum
Personally, I disassemble all after pushing the piston as far as possible out of its housing to easily remove it from it, then I clean this piston [*] and its housing because, according to their age, they are often erased by residues and eroded above the seal and prevent its natural removal and thus it promotes friction and subsequent wear.

[*] to the fine grain emery pot
0 x
"We make science with facts, like making a house with stones: but an accumulation of facts is no more a science than a pile of stones is a house" Henri Poincaré
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 24/03/20, 07:09

I had been doing this for decades with my clamp to push and my multigrip pliers to turn ... I decided to buy the small KS tool set two weeks ago to do the rear brakes of a Quaskai .... And you know what i stumbled upon ??? On classic calipers and parking brake with jaws with the interior of the discs serving as "drum" ... Suddenly ... Not used : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...

Back to "failure, troubleshooting and repair: repair yourself? "