Senseo machine clogged? Low flow, small coffees, anti-limescale ... An easy cleaning method!

And if they were repairing rather than throwing and change? Rediscover the pleasure of the repairs yourself. How to diagnose a problem or find spare parts? Repair itself is way to save money generally!
Christophe

Senseo machine clogged? Low flow, small coffees, anti-limescale ... An easy cleaning method!

by Christophe » 25/11/17, 10:28

Since 2015, about 2 years, I use a Senseo 2 or 3 times a day almost every day. The indicator light is lit for months but I have not seen a real drop in flow only a few days ago. And a flow that lowers it means shorter coffees, since the quantity is managed by timing, not by a flowmeter recess. So I had coffees that were starting to be rikiki! :?:

This Senseo machine has between 1500 and 2000 cycles. It is a Phillips model but I think the method may be valid for other brands.

Senseo_machine.jpg
Senseo_machine.jpg (356.24 Kio) Viewed 27406 times

The "limescale" indicator has been on for 6 months already (so about 18 months after purchase), without any loss of flow. At the time, I still used the official anti-limescale (2 doses were supplied with the machine) but the light remained on. The official anti-limestone is in fact citric acid ... certainly sold 10 times more expensive under the brand Senséo than it costs otherwise ...

I then made 2 or 3 reservations with pure white vinegar ... the same light is also lit.
There is 6 month I dropped the case, the flow being good.

One can still wonder on what physical criterion this indicator limestone is lit ... In any case it is not a measurement by pH probe which extinguishes it nor a pressure sensor ... So I do not really know but one can Assume a simple counting cycles ... Just to scare the housewife ... I would be interested to know how to turn off anyway!

But the flow has started to drop significantly in recent weeks ...

So I looked at the problem and the solution is, in my case, very very simple! And I suppose that's the case in a lot of Senseo, which ends up being thrown away instead of just being cleaned ...

Indeed; it is not the machine inside that clogs but the cup!

Here is the difference between a fouled cup and a clean cup:

Senseo_coupelle_propre.jpg
Senseo_coupelle_propre.jpg (215.18 Kio) Viewed 27406 times

Senseo_coupelle_sale.jpg
Senseo_coupelle_sale.jpg (398.2 Kio) Viewed 27406 times

It is clear that the small hopper in the center is dirty.

The method therefore consists of lightly rubbing this hopper and passing vinegar through it, there is a calibrated valve to keep the coffee capsules under pressure, the flow "to the atmosphere" will be at best a drip ( about 2 or 3 drops per second when it is clean)

Senseo_vinaigre.jpg
Senseo_vinaigre.jpg (195.38 Kio) Viewed 27406 times

I did 5 or 6 "vinegar" cycles, then 3 or 4 cups of hot water to rinse the cup of the vinagire ...

This method of cleaning is all the more interesting, in the end, this fouling will make the pump work more strongly, which may significantly limit its life ...

This is my Senseo has found a new youth!
0 x
Lolounette
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

Re: Machine Senseo plugged? Low flow, small coffees, anti-limescale ... An easy cleaning method!

by Lolounette » 25/11/17, 11:34

it is always satisfying to manage to prolong the life of these everyday objects that have become too obsolete!
but with this type of machine we remain more or less captive of the manufacturer of capsules, which are expensive and generate waste ...

For those who drink mainly coffee and coffee drinks and milk I allow myself to use your post to direct them to another solution: a professional or semi professional espresso machine allied to a good mill

Simonelli's Oscar and Bezzera's Prof Express are, for example, 2 good relatively compact machines that are often used (see the reference site) at reasonable prices and do not require connection to the network. water supply and evacuation ...

and for those who have room there are the real used bar machines, which they normally have to be connected to the water supply network and have an evacuation. But they can also work on tank, that's what I do. I paid mine 350 €, I put 100 € of material (joints, new door cup and other odds and ends) and it makes 8 years that it turns like a clock : Wink: add 100 € to 150 € mini for the mill and hop ...

5B1AD0A1-75EE-495D-A4A0-76AF10BE4403.jpeg

Disadvantages: it takes space and a quality coffee grinder is mandatory (not the small blade mill of our grandmothers). Heating time 30min therefore the best is to leave the machine alumée all the time of use because the maintenance in temperature is much less energy consuming than the rise in temp. Mine is on a connected socket that gives me the conso, it is very reasonable: 20 kWh per month so roughly 3 €. You have to grind the coffee with the cup and make the coffee itself (I like it but good!) And it takes a little help at first (nothing complicated though, my daughter gets there!)

EFA845F7-8586-400A-938A-90E3BB0143F3.jpeg
EFA845F7-8586-400A-938A-90E3BB0143F3.jpeg (45.8 Kio) Consulté 27380 fois

Advantages: Almost immortal machines and fully repairable, it's not disposable. No waste production apart from the pomace that goes to the garden. Price of the cup, do the math: 500g India Malabar coffee grain cost between 10 and 15 € and allow you to make about 70 cups. We are at 0,22 € per cup with a premium coffee roaster price and I assure you that the result in cup is not comparable to coffee in capsule. If you choose good coffee cheaper than this cup goes to less than 0,10 € and we stay very good in a cup. Same milk drinks have nothing to do, there are several notches above taste level. And we know what we put in the cup ...

sorry for the little off topic but I had to talk about it : Wink:
Last edited by Lolounette the 25 / 11 / 17, 11: 49, 1 edited once.
1 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Machine Senseo plugged? Low flow, small coffees, anti-limescale ... An easy cleaning method!

by Ahmed » 25/11/17, 11:41

It seems like a good plan for coffee addicts ... Professional equipment has nothing to do with well "designed" junk intended for private consumers.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Christophe

by Christophe » 25/11/17, 12:05

Lolounette wrote:but with this type of machine we remain more or less captive of the manufacturer of capsules, which are expensive and generate waste ...

Senseo, with its paper capsules, is still the least worst of pod machines ... and by far compared to Nespresseo (aluminum or plastic) or Dolce Gusto (plastic). The paper filter pods breaks down well with composting.

In terms of price we can find Senseo capsules cheaper than coffee powder ... less than 5 € kg ... but it's not capsules Senseo brand (and for info there are many more choice of alternative brands at Senseo than at Nespresso ... even the Lidl actually ...).

That's why I still decided to equip myself with a 2015 pod machine ... because the impact still seems quite limited ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 25/11/17, 12:07

Ahmed wrote:It seems like a good plan for coffee addicts ... Professional equipment has nothing to do with well "designed" junk intended for private consumers.

Yes but their price (at least in nine) are dissuasive: a bistro coffee machine can exceed the 1000 € ...
0 x
Lolounette
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Lolounette » 25/11/17, 12:18

Of course, it's not a question of buying new when you're not a bar owner : Mrgreen:
but the good coincoin has a lot of very reasonable offers (eg here)
on occasion it is much cheaper than automatic machines working with grains (Jura and consort) which are also disposable machines despite their prohibitive price ...

For who is a little handyman there's even business to do: I fell in a flea market on a Prof Express 100 €, The pump turns, the electronics seems ok it would be enough that I look a little but the restart should not not to worry. I'm just lazy, she's hanging out in my outbuildings waiting for me to bend over.

93FC42A2-8649-4B68-9257-F399F077A566.jpeg

as for the paper pods (or at least the coffee that comes out) ... sorry I can not swallow it : Oops:
Neither Nespresso coffee nor the majority of bar cafes.
Dolce Gusto I was surprised one day I was served one that was drinkable!
yes I probably should have added that in the disadvantages is that we can drink more coffee outside of home : Lol: : Lol:
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 25/11/17, 15:27

Hello,
Christophe wrote:we can assume a simple counting cycles ... Just to scare the housewife ... I would be interested to know how to turn off anyway!
Yes, a simple count of 400 cups, to sell the descaling product that goes well : Mrgreen:

Either you follow this procedure https://www.philips.fr/c-f/XC000001231

Otherwise there is a more radical method, I am not sure for the keys (SGDG):
Disconnect the power cord.
Press the M / A and 2T buttons
Without loosing the buttons, reconnect the power plug.

A hard toothbrush goes well to clean the pod holder and you should always look to a light source through the center hole, before using it, to be sure it is not clogged by a bean.
I have already seen Senséos under pressure, impossible to open for several days, because of a stuffed pod.
1 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 25/11/17, 16:06

izentrop wrote:Yes, a simple count of 400 cups, to sell the descaling product that goes well : Mrgreen:

Either you follow this procedure https://www.philips.fr/c-f/XC000001231

Ah bin Mea Culpa, I did not do this when I did the descaling a few months ago:

Start the first descaling cycle
by briefly pressing the buttons
for 1 and 2 cups at the same time.
Water comes out at intervals and the machine
stops 3 times.

Nothing was noted on philips acid sachets ... so I simply spent 2 or 3 times the reserve with a dose of citric acid ... 2 times (2 pods) .. in the end I think the chemical result is there ... especially if it's a count of cups that is not worth much indication ...

izentrop wrote:Otherwise there is a more radical method, I am not sure for the keys (SGDG):

Disconnect the power cord.
Press the M / A and 2T buttons
Without loosing the buttons, reconnect the power plug.

Hey it works cool thanks :) funny this reset is not indicated in the .pdf : Shock: I wonder why : Cheesy:
XC_000001231_1_FAD_Global_20161025_069w0000003GKn0AAG.pdf
(2.08 million) Downloaded times 537

izentrop wrote:I have already seen Senséos under pressure, impossible to open for several days, because of a stuffed pod.

It is precisely a small leak that has put me in the ear about the capping of the pod holder! I am convinced that 90% of users do not think to clean their pods, hence this topic!

ps: I'm pretty sure I had done more than 400 cups (2 3 per day for 1 year and a half), I think rather to the 1200 but hey how important ... it's a detail that .. .
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 25/11/17, 16:14

Lolounette wrote:Of course, it's not a question of buying new when you're not a bar owner : Mrgreen:
but the good coincoin foirmille of very reasonable offers

I do not like enough coffee (or am not rich enough) to put 350 € in a used coffee machine ... even if it's a good opportunity ...

There are pods, not expensive, that make coffees quite good for my taste ... after the tastes and colors ... but it is on we have not the level of a bistro espresso ...
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 25/11/17, 16:27

For 400 cups, it depends on the model, see the nameplate.

Did you extinguish that damned seer?
because the reset may be: touch a cup + plug the power plug.
Finally there is no risk to test other combinations.
0 x