Motor oil 2T scooter in a chainsaw, possible?

And if they were repairing rather than throwing and change? Rediscover the pleasure of the repairs yourself. How to diagnose a problem or find spare parts? Repair itself is way to save money generally!
djo59
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Motor oil 2T scooter in a chainsaw, possible?

by djo59 » 20/07/17, 15:13

Hello everybody
Earlier I will recover a thermal chainsaw so I would need 2t oil to mix it with gasoline (I'm talking about the oil for the 2t mixture not chain oil!)
As I have a 2l can of 2t scooter oil, is there a problem using it in a mixture in my chainsaw?
Thank you in advance.
0 x
Flytox

Re: 2T engine oil scooter in a chainsaw, possible?

by Flytox » 20/07/17, 23:14

djo59 wrote:Hello everybody
Earlier I will recover a thermal chainsaw so I would need 2t oil to mix it with gasoline (I'm talking about the oil for the 2t mixture not chain oil!)
As I have a 2l can of 2t scooter oil, is there a problem using it in a mixture in my chainsaw?
Thank you in advance.

A chainsaw is rather efficient and it turns quickly like 9000 to 12000 rpm. A scooter is more like 6000 to 7000 rpm.
Scooter oil does not need to be very efficient but to be cheap, chances are that its quality is not sufficient to avoid premature wear and at worst tightening.
On your bottle there is a label which says: "Meets the standard thing and thing gadget" you type these standard numbers on nenet and you will see if it is suitable for a chainsaw engine. AMHA no.
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 21/07/17, 11:01

As you are new to chainsaw, I recommend you be very careful and get advice from a user competent. He can also teach you the right way to sharpen the chain ... (which is very important).
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Christophe

by Christophe » 21/07/17, 12:33

Uh, not too much agree with Flytox ... there are 3 types of oils (whether in 4tps or 2tps): mineral, semi-synthetic and 100% synthetic ... the quality and performance are in the same order. ..

Scooter engines can run at 12 rpm very well ... so a certified scooter oil (unless it is a base mineral and still ...) can work very well on a chainsaw, I have no besides never seen special 000-stroke oil "chainsaw or brushcutter" ... and if this exists it is marketing, just like the 2-stroke petrol and diesel engine oils which are the same ...

Most 2tps oils on the market today are semi and 100% synthetic ... except very first price in "Action" stores and co ... so no risk to use a semi synthesis in a chainsaw.

If the chainsaw has not been running for a long time and there may be carburetor adjustments to make: make 2 or 3 refills with 1% more than what is recommended (therefore 3% or 3.5%)
0 x
dede2002
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by dede2002 » 21/07/17, 16:04

I agree with Christophe, what counts for the chainsaw is the dosage of the oil, sometimes up to 5%, it is written on the cap or next to it.

The purpose of synthetic or "synthetic" (semi-synthetic) oils is to resist a long time in the crankcase of a 4t, in the 2t it does not stay long enough to be damaged ...

Also agree with Ahmed, a chainsaw is dangerous, we must also ensure that the idle is low enough for the chain to stop.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 21/07/17, 18:22

I highly recommend a type of oil allowing a mixture at only 2%: we are not designed to breathe oil aerosols, because we must not forget that we take almost directly the exhaust gases in the figure ... : roll:
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 21/07/17, 21:23

in a 2 stroke the oil is used only once ... we could therefore conclude that an oil of poor quality is largely sufficient

fault ! a medium mineral oil burns and fouls the exhaust pipe, as annoying for chainsaw as for scooter

a synthetic oil resists passage through the engine without burning and leaves through the always liquid exhaust, so does not clog

2-stroke synthetic oil costs a little more, but we can put a lower percentage, so for me it's better than ordinary 2-stroke mineral oil, both for chainsaws and scooters and motorbike

anecdote: I saw 2-stroke brushcutters with the exhaust light blocked at 3/4 by scale! it only happens with 2-stroke mineral oil! never with synthetic oil

this kind of big blockage is rarer with chainsaw that is always used fully accelerated
0 x
dede2002
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by dede2002 » 22/07/17, 10:27

Hello Chatelot,

does it surprise me a little that the oil does not burn, it seems to me on the contrary that the 2t oil must burn as best as possible with less residue?

In my opinion it is when the oil burns badly that the scale forms.

Hello Ahmed,

Relevant remark, but it should not be forgotten that the exhaust gases (especially of a 2t) are harmful, even without oil.

Visible smoke can encourage you to work in the wind, and therefore take shelter ...
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 22/07/17, 14:55

There are millions of gardeners (amateurs or professionals) who use 2T thermal tools and who do not ask themselves so many "metaphysical" questions ...
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 22/07/17, 18:25

there are thousands of users who do not ask questions but who find that the life of small 2 stroke is quite short! and often because of exhaust that clogs ... I find it much better with synthetic oil

the purpose of 2 stroke oil is not to burn! the oil must stick to the surface of the engine and lubricate as long as possible before being ejected ... an oil which burns too quickly is less effective and it is necessary to put more

the oil is dissolved in the gasoline, but in the fuel the gasoline evaporates and the oil is found in fog of very fine droplet, part of which sticks to the surfaces to be lubricated ... and unfortunately a large part comes out stupidly through the exhaust

2-stroke scooters have an advantage over chain saws: the oil is not mixed with petrol, but injected by a pump into the intake pipe, and injected through a hole which does not spray: therefore a large drop which sticks to the surface to be lubricated, and lubricates more effectively before finding the outlet
0 x