Renovating or replacing the windshield or rear window seals on a car?

And if they were repairing rather than throwing and change? Rediscover the pleasure of the repairs yourself. How to diagnose a problem or find spare parts? Repair itself is way to save money generally!
Christophe

Renovating or replacing the windshield or rear window seals on a car?

by Christophe » 12/07/17, 12:53

I have been driving an "old" 2005 car for some time, it has not been well maintained for 5 years (left outside without driving every day). The rear window seals are starting to seriously crumble (see photos below). These are flat metal core "lip" seals.

The change would require a complete removal of the bezel, which is cumbersome and complicated.

Is it possible to use a silicone-type product or glue it by breeze to renovate them from the outside? It is too late to soften them; they crumble as soon as they are touched. I fear infiltrations (the inner part must be in better condition but still)

Or better left like this and so much the worse for the look?

The look does not matter too much, the body is not in good condition, but should not make it too dirty either. 2 photos of illustration below, on the first I simply passed the finger and a piece is gone ...

Thank you

DSC06062.JPG

DSC06060.JPG
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Return to posts index Reply Like Re: Rebuilding or re-joining the windshield or rear window on a car?

by Macro » 12/07/17, 13:41

Logically ... even if the joint were to deteriorate completely you should not have water infiltration inside the car ... Because normally the glass is stuck to the sheet by the glue to the windshield. ..However you will have a stagnation of water without the molding in the lower part and the corrosion which will go well thereafter ... It should take a few years to rot and pierce ... By then you may have to have your smoking to replace it with a more virtuous one ... Afterwards ... If you have glass breakage insurance ... You give Christophe junior gloves, glasses and a hammer ... Because even if you adventure you wanted to do the repair yourself ... Take off a windshield with a kadécouye cuter, buy the gasket and the gluing kit and re-glue it ... It will cost you more than the deductible ... With the risk of find yourself (because you are not a pro and not equipped for the operation) a leaking windshield, which is badly centered with the unbalanced joints which make br uit when you roll .... And injure the anticorrosion coating with your cuter during disassembly cleaning .... And for having taken off some in an "amateur" way I can guarantee you that the success rate without breaking it has been very weak...
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
Christophe

Return to posts index Reply Like Re: Rebuilding or re-joining the windshield or rear window on a car?

by Christophe » 12/07/17, 13:48

Do not tell me about it: I changed the front windscreen before this car 3 months is just enough ... : Cheesy:

So for you there is nothing to do easy and leave the joints like this?
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 12/07/17, 15:10

I do not see too much ... But sometimes it's just the joint has to change it is not pasted but just clipped ...

If it is found it is even available to the meter ... What is your cart ???

For me it is already missing a piece ...
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 12/07/17, 18:45

takes a picture a little wider, I see how this window is mounted ... in close-up like that I do not understand

if it is an old classic assembly, there is only the joint, no adhesive

there is a multitude of rubber quality different ... some are eternal ... others are biodegradable as of m ....

the original seals of the major car brands were generally very good ... the seal sold to the bodybuilder to make the repair are more worrying
0 x
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 13/07/17, 19:45

2005 or 1905? : Cheesy:
0 x
"We make science with facts, like making a house with stones: but an accumulation of facts is no more a science than a pile of stones is a house" Henri Poincaré