aluminum welding a footpegs Honda VFR platinum: ok or not?

And if they were repairing rather than throwing and change? Rediscover the pleasure of the repairs yourself. How to diagnose a problem or find spare parts? Repair itself is way to save money generally!
Christophe

aluminum welding a footpegs Honda VFR platinum: ok or not?

by Christophe » 22/11/11, 20:28

Distracted, I dropped my 750 Honda VFR 1994 motorcycle out of the garage ...

It never happened to me in 15 years of license ... pfff the balls ....

Well it could have been worse.

Damage = the right platen broken. This is the part that supports the right foot block and especially the brake pedal. It is therefore a security piece.

The axis of the foot wedge is made of steel set in the aluminum part, I am afraid that resoldering so close deforms the piece and the holding of this axis.

And the holding of the aluminum welding on such a small thickness?

In short: is it reasonable to try to tie up or better to change this piece (security) ...

Also how to be sure that it is about 100% aluminum and not a zamac type alloy or other (it would surprise me on the part of Honda but hey we never know ...)

At the sight of the photos, is this weldable according to you?

ps: the replacement part costs 130 € ... and I'm not sure that the axis is mounted on it ... But it remains cheaper than a bowl with a coin that gives in turn because poorly repaired ...

0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 22/11/11, 20:38

Welding is often possible, depending on the type of alloy (pure aluminum is too weak). You have to see a good professional ...
Redeeming the room is also a good option in this case.

It is certainly not zamac which is mostly used for casts with fine details, without significant mechanical constraints.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Christophe

by Christophe » 22/11/11, 20:41

Yes you're right: in writing the subject, I cogit and here I am on the classifieds ... a platinum ca is trading under the 50 € ... but I have not yet found this exact model.

Edit: yes, I have one at 39 euros ...

I think that the risk of welding is not worth the effort (especially since the good pro who will weld will not do it for free) ...

ps: I said zamac because it was the 1er thing that went through my head I could say duralu :)
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Welding of aluminum

by Obamot » 22/11/11, 21:11

Otherwise, if you have someone who has this:

http://www.multiplaz.cn/FRA/about.asp

Result guarantees if the guy knows how to use it ....
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 22/11/11, 21:17

Ben I do not have that but I have a MIG alu ... but I do not use it! :D

Never had the opportunity to weld aluminum and I do not want to get my hands on a security (logical) ... otherwise I risk leaving the knees and back and the rest ...

Tomorrow, I call the motorcycle breakages of France and Navarre ...
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 22/11/11, 21:44

the mig is not the ideal for repair

the real tool of the pro is the tig: we hold the tungsten electrode with one hand, and we put some metal on the other hand

someone who knows how to weld immediately sees if the piece is in an aliage which is welded well or not

when it is welded well we can add the thickness to give strength: weld the kind of piece you showed would not scare me ... but you will certainly find a welder closer to you

of course the work is never free and if you find a piece at Euro 50 it is better to take
0 x
Flytox

by Flytox » 22/11/11, 21:51

Christophe wrote:I think that the risk of welding is not worth the effort (especially since the good pro who will weld will not do it for free) ...

ps: I said zamac because it was the 1er thing that went through my head I could have said duralu :)

You definitely want to talk about Dural (AU4G) 2017.
As soon as there is Copper in the composition, it sits very badly, finally it soda .... but it coils / is cut almost every trip along the weld .....: Cry: Image

http://www.euralliage.com/alliage.html#ancre654429

Image)
: Mrgreen:
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
Christophe

by Christophe » 22/11/11, 22:03

Interesting painting ...

The dural is classified C in corrosion.

Gold seen its good surface (and its location = subject to projections) and after 16 years of service, I guess it's not Dural ...

Y marked MZ7-R as a foundry reference behind ... a clue?

chatelot, if you want, when I would have replaced, I send you the piece ... for the challenge of trying to tie it up?
0 x
Flytox

by Flytox » 22/11/11, 22:23

You know Christophe, can you tell us that you broke your mouth / sprawled on the road by doing the QueQue, instead of giving false pretenses (fell out of the garage) : Mrgreen:) .... We will not tell Christine ... : Mrgreen:

That's always what my biker buddies say to their wives when they come home all shredded and loose leather, "you know Honey, the bike has nothing or almost nothing" .... : Mrgreen:
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.

[Eugène Ionesco]

http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 22/11/11, 22:34

+ 1 for the "motorcycle" junkyard track

Also try in my corner, do not look but there's turnover over here, and rather neat, for parts ...

[Edit:]
- "thank you"
- "you're welcome..."
:-)
Last edited by Obamot the 23 / 11 / 11, 10: 26, 1 edited once.
0 x

Back to "failure, troubleshooting and repair: repair yourself? "