Make a fly trap that works? What bait to use?

Help and advice for all work carried out in self building and presentation of your work DIY or self-build. Because making oneself is often econological but beware overconfidence!
Christophe

Make a fly trap that works? What bait to use?

by Christophe » 16/07/22, 11:42

This year I am invaded by flies and it's hellish...I have fly swatters but hey...so I'm trying to make a fly trap that works well.

I don't like the fly paper. I have a UV mosquito repellent lamp but it doesn't work with flies that are visibly not attracted (or little or more?) by UV...

So here you go yesterday I did a quick thing with vinegar and a little sweet stuff but obviously it doesn't work...

What bait can be used to better attract flies?

trap_flies.jpg
piege_mouches.jpg (101.45 KiB) Viewed 2643 times

Any other design ideas? Because I didn't freak out! : Mrgreen:
0 x
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Making a fly trap that works? What bait to use?

by phil59 » 16/07/22, 12:05

My wife has been trying a slice of lemon, with lots of cloves, for a fortnight, and it works quite well, they don't come anymore.
0 x
hmmmmm, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm, huh, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

: Oops: : Cry: :( : Shock:
Christophe

by Christophe » 16/07/22, 12:10

Uh ok but is that a repellent or is it to bait them?
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 16/07/22, 12:21

Me too... Small flies...

And the worst part is that I put on eco-friendly paint (acrylic?) that they love so much that they eat it or lay their eggs in it...

The best way I have found to get rid of them (not very practical in summer) is to plunge everything into darkness at night, and leave only one window without a shutter, because at dawn they all clump together in the room attracted by the light, then all you have to do is open the window and drive them away with a cloth spread out like a sort of veil to make the wind blow, scare them, and they will try to escape by the only place where there is light. Then once all outside, I close...

Light is therefore the most natural bait.

We can then imagine, at nightfall, a box with a black bottle and an LED light inside with some food, they will be attracted by the light and the smell, and we can assume that they will stay inside. interior. Then just turn off the light and they will fall asleep, then suddenly close the lid of the box... and take the box to open it away from home,
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 16/07/22, 12:40

So how do we breed flies in his painting? : Shock: You are a big jerk!! : Mrgreen:

Complicated all that Obamot...especially since "mine" doesn't seem to be attracted by UV light...but I'm going to try something in a box...I don't really believe it!
0 x
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by phil59 » 16/07/22, 12:42

Christophe wrote:Uh ok but is that a repellent or is it to bait them?

It's repellent!

They come, but go very quickly. It takes, 2-3 days for it to start working I guess, until the effect kicks in, and starts spreading around the house.
0 x
hmmmmm, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm, huh, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

: Oops: : Cry: :( : Shock:
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 16/07/22, 12:46

Christophe wrote:So how do we breed flies in his painting? : Shock: You are a big jerk!! : Mrgreen:

Complicated all that Obamot...especially since "mine" doesn't seem to be attracted by UV light...but I'm going to try something in a box...I don't really believe it!

Starting with the window thing seems indicated to me, without being too mistaken, it will work.

Shutters closed everywhere except preferably NOT in the kitchen....
And you have to put them outside at dawn, that's where they are most attracted to the light to get out...

Otherwise you can try to “talk to them” to make them understand to go out : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:
(it works sometimes, I didn't do double-blind randomization)
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 16/07/22, 13:27

phil59 wrote:
Christophe wrote:Uh ok but is that a repellent or is it to bait them?

It's repellent!

They come, but go very quickly. It takes, 2-3 days for it to start working I guess, until the effect kicks in, and starts spreading around the house.

Ok I will try that!

Do you need a washer per piece?
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 16/07/22, 13:29

Obamot wrote:Otherwise you can try to “talk to them” to make them understand to go out : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:
(it works sometimes, I didn't do double-blind randomization)

I talk to them randomly with my faggot, they understand well and quickly but they understand only once! : Mrgreen: (unlike the French with our national swatter)
0 x
oli 80
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by oli 80 » 16/07/22, 14:37

Hi everybody,

this trap attracts wasps and hornets with something sweet
there are quite a few this year
0 x