Hho torch building

Present your DIY projects, your new technical ideas, your innovations to test or your self-construction work. Because doing it yourself is often more economical and can be more efficient.
fracass
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Hho torch building

by fracass » 05/07/14, 18:26

Hello, I do not know if I'm good to open a new post, but I have not found an answer elsewhere.

Has anyone made an electrolysis torch for WELDING iron / stainless steel / aluminum? I would like to make one to replace the mig and tig for some work, but the fact that there is water production allows a welding quality? or is it to proscribe? Oxyacetylene makes a lot of water too, so ...

if qq has tested and can tell me the quality of the welds ...

Goods.
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 05/07/14, 18:36

oxy acetylene was used to weld aluminum at the time of the invention of acetylene, when there was no other solution, but it is very inefficient: neccessite a lot of flow of which I can not seem to know the composition

a large part of the technique consisted in the movement of the aluminum rod to spread the oxide of the melted zone

this technique disappeared as soon as the arc weld existed and showed its superiority for the aluminum

the HHO has an even more serious problem: it is only possible for small power kind jewelry torch: as soon as we increase the power it makes a mixing volume detonant too dangerous
0 x
fracass
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by fracass » 05/07/14, 19:12

And if you produce oxygen on one side and hydrogen on the other, it does not look much more dangerous than an oxybutane?

... I feel like I'm still going to pay my argon ... lol
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 05/07/14, 19:58

if we separate the 2 gases we can do big power

I saw in old electric book description of electrolyseur to fill the airship, electrolyseur manufactured by oerlikon ... no way to see this kind of thing on the net ... not old enough for these books be on gallica.bnf.fr not enough recent to be directly on the net

the 2 gas separated can be used for the autogenous welding of steel ... a little less good than acetylene but still usable

Hydrogen is still used for submarine welding, because at more than 2 bar, acetylene is capable of spontaneous decomposition: pure acetylene explodes! therefore one can not use the acetylene has more than 20m under water

it's amusing to see that an acetylene or hydrogen-lit torch can be immersed in the water without becoming extinct: and burns in its vapor bubble ...

argon is essential for aluminum ... but it will not always be compulsory to pay for it: the atmosphere contains it everywhere: argon is the least rare gas rare: it is not impossible to make a machine to liquefy the air, also allowing to sort the argon

http://www.usinages.com/divers/tres-fro ... 86-30.html
0 x
The shadow
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by The shadow » 05/07/14, 22:19

I repair these jewels of the simplest and which allows the jeweler to make personal achievements of the most beautiful effect is not expensive and with a flame that allows nice welds and when the danger there is electronic security and who had more than 50 years
the nozzle for soldering (a simple syringe tip)
I'm outside
0 x
Flytox

Re: hho blowtorch

by Flytox » 05/07/14, 23:24

fracass wrote:Has anyone made an electrolysis torch for WELDING iron / stainless steel / aluminum? I would like to make one to replace the mig and tig for some works, but the fact that there is water production allows quality welding? or is it to proscribe? Oxyacetylene makes a lot of water too, so ...

if qq has tested and can tell me the quality of the welds ...

For steel, if your welding is not required at all, it "works". If it has to make efforts, hydrogen is a poison which greatly weakens the welded joint. Hydrogen is relatively soluble in steel at high temperature during welding, but upon cooling / solidification the solubility becomes very low beyond a certain temperature threshold. As a result, the hydrogen collects in small enough blowholes to cause the solder to sometimes break / cut on its own.
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
fracass
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by fracass » 06/07/14, 09:18

thank you, well it will save me from wasting time thank you.

Chatelot, a pity that the project of liquefaction of the air did not succeed ...
0 x
GuyGadebois
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re:

by GuyGadebois » 06/09/19, 21:55

After 20 years of "bellows" torch jewelry making, the HHO torch has changed my life for small surfaces (you can also melt gold in small quantities in a crucible). Indeed, it is precise, it heats up hell and most often dispenses with the use of borax to prevent oxidation of the part.
0 x
“It is better to mobilize your intelligence on bullshit than to mobilize your bullshit on intelligent things. (J.Rouxel)
"By definition the cause is the product of the effect". (Tryphion)
"360 / 000 / 0,5 is 100 million and not 72 million" (AVC)