Photos from inside 2 anthills of black and red ants, nature is fantastic!

Organize and arrange your garden and vegetable garden: ornamental, landscape, wild garden, materials, fruits and vegetables, vegetable garden, natural fertilizers, shelters, pools or natural swimming pool. lifetime plants and crops in your garden.
Christophe

Photos from inside 2 anthills of black and red ants, nature is fantastic!

by Christophe » 04/07/22, 21:16

This afternoon I moved my improvised "barbecue" in place for 2 years in the garden and made of old stacked concrete borders (4 flat blocks)...

It was invaded by 2 anthills...red and black...less than 50 cm away...I didn't know that the ants lived so close together!

I noticed 2 interesting things:

a) I saw 3 types of larvae for the black ones (2 for the red ones)

b) the ants have created an interblock space up to 20 mm high (see photo of the "studs")! Each block weighs over 17 kg and there were 4 stacked!! The ants have therefore potentially lifted 3 * 17 kg! Something crazy ! : Shock: : Shock: : Shock:

In photos:

Ants8.jpg

Ants7.jpg

Ants6.jpg

Ants5.jpg

Ants4.jpg
Fourmis4.jpg (456.85 KiB) Viewed 2641 times

Ants3.jpg
Fourmis3.jpg (445.83 KiB) Viewed 2641 times

Ants2.jpg
Fourmis2.jpg (358.93 KiB) Viewed 2641 times

Ants.jpg
1 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Photos of the interior of 2 anthills of black and red ants, nature is fantastic!

by izentrop » 05/07/22, 02:04

Worse than the Rwanda genocide : Evil:
0 x
Christophe

Re: Photos of the interior of 2 anthills of black and red ants, nature is fantastic!

by Christophe » 05/07/22, 08:33

But no izy, I let the ants "store" their larvae before lifting the next slab... in less than 10 minutes it was clear! : Cheesy:

Then compare men to ants... frankly... but hey, we're used to boderline comparisons!

Looking more closely at the photos, you can see that there are branches between the slabs: there were none when I laid them 2 years ago, but I stored a lot of small wood nearby. ..

The ants therefore probably used these woods as construction props! : Shock: : Shock: : Shock:
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 05/07/22, 10:06

Christophe wrote:But no izy, I let the ants "store" their larvae before lifting the next slab... in less than 10 minutes it was clear! : Cheesy:
How nice
Then compare men to ants... frankly... but hey, we're used to boderline comparisons!
You should listen to Guillaume Lecointre (Professor at the National Museum of Natural History, scientific advisor), instructive and pragmatic
The human, an animal like the others
0 x