Questions about flower meadow.

Organize and arrange your garden and vegetable garden: ornamental, landscape, wild garden, materials, fruits and vegetables, vegetable garden, natural fertilizers, shelters, pools or natural swimming pool. lifetime plants and crops in your garden.
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

Questions about flower meadow.

by 1360 » 13/03/19, 20:39

Hello all,

I want to spend part of my orchard in flower meadow. Said flower meadow will have a surface of about 300 m2, there is also a small pond on two levels that I will rehabilitate.

I therefore inquired at a Swiss "agricultural" brand, and chose a mixture of which the following is the composition:

Screenshot_20190313-195158_Drive.jpg

My first question is: What do you think of this mix? Would you add something like poppies, for example?

I specify that my goal is to (re) bring insects, dragonflies and other ...

The producer's website gives plenty of information https://www.ufasamen.ch/fr/ansaat/ansaa ... ginal-ch-g whose seed weight at m2, but how to sow in a regular way? On the fly ? With a seeder (but which one)?

Available for any other information, and thank you in advance for your answers.

Didier.
0 x
Trying too hard to get into the mold, it ends up looking like a pie.
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

Re: Questions about flower meadow.

by 1360 » 13/03/19, 20:58

The "trouble" begins: I just found another mix, from the same producer.

Screenshot_20190313-205409_Drive.jpg

Better or worse than the previous ??
0 x
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by 1360 » 29/03/19, 04:22

I try a little UP;)
0 x
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 29/03/19, 07:54

Little or no experience of members on the subject, no doubt.
Rather than serve you common places or aneries we prefer to be quiet.
You will make us enjoy yours.
Personally good flemmard I would be content to make 1m2 spots allowing nature to disseminate the plants that fit best.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 29/03/19, 10:14

Quickly, some elements:

1) It would indeed be necessary to know the requirements of all these plants !!!!

2) A sown natural meadow will "degenerate" anyway - unless you re-sow them often ...

Of all the plants that you will sow, some will not be well and will regress or disappear.

It will be added other plants, "weeds", come by air, animals, etc ... that you will not have sown!

So it will evolve to create a balance adapted to your corner of you: soil, climate, exposure. And adapted to your way of managing.

3) A priori, these mixtures are very rich (many species) and you have a "leaven" to go to a beautiful meadow Nature flowers.

4) In this regard, do not worry too much: my "natural meadow" started from a lawn, which I "drift" towards a flowered meadow year after year, by a simple technique: very late mowing (end of August / early September). The majority of "flowers" then bloomed, but mostly produced seeds. The cover is too stiff and too big for the mower to swallow it, I use the rotofil with a metal disc "special tall grass". Shaken by this, the seeds of most of the "flowers" fall to the ground. They will therefore develop. The hay then goes to the vegetable garden.

Gradually, adapted plants naturally dominate. The grasses are a little dominated. The "flowers" (cornflower, yarrow, etc.) develop.

Insects are permanent. Everyone finds what he is looking for.

Yarrow, for example, has an inflorescence (a grouping of tiny flowers) whose small flowers are a blessing for very small foragers (2 mm) such as certain parasitoid wasps, the very ones that will lay their eggs on aphids. , the larvae will enter these eggs and devour them from the inside! But the restless gardeners, always in the "I still have to do this ..." do not have time to see them !!! For that, you need to install a deckchair and have a little time!

5) In passing: in the face of the disappearance or regression of many browsers, this is what must be done first !!! Convert our "lawns" of distressing poverty, especially if we mow them regularly (it is then a biological desert!), Into "flower meadows". Everyone rushes to install insect hotels, beehives, etc ... Are we fighting a famine in Bangladesh by installing HLM ????
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 29/03/19, 10:18

Quick overview: the second seems to have some species of wetter areas (Laiche ...). Maybe it is designed for that ???

They are both very rich and seem adapted.

Maybe you can give your characteristics: soil, altitude, climate and they may know advise you ????
0 x
taam
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by taam » 29/03/20, 11:28

Hello,
Subject feedback ...
Last season my lawn was very little mowed and of course never watered; result: less attractive but in much better condition.

I really want to try the flower meadow, thank you for your advice.
0 x
taam
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by taam » 26/04/20, 10:17

So I threw some flower seeds in the "meadow", please make it rain.
: Mrgreen:
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 27/04/20, 22:51

Ideally, you throw away after a late mowing.

A "natural flowering meadow" is the result of a natural drift towards flowering plants that you allow time to flower and produce ripe seeds. So late mowing.

The more regularly you mow before flowering, the more the "flowering plants" are decapitated before flowering. They are regressing. And the more the "grasses" take the opportunity to occupy everything, because they "taller" - a main stem gives several secondary stems. It is an adaptation to grazing. Only a few very early flowers survive because they are ahead of the grasses: bulbous (daffodils), and above all, dandelions, a few daisies.

So late mowing, so that it seeds. The shaking of the mowing drops the seeds on the spot.

If you want to enrich by sowing seeds of meadow flowers picked elsewhere, then this is the time ...

They will winter outside and develop the following year. As they have always done!
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 27/04/20, 22:52

taam wrote:So I threw some flower seeds in the "meadow", please make it rain.
: Mrgreen:

Chances are they're already dominated by growing grasses. And that they lack light!
0 x

Back to "Garden: landscaping, plants, garden, ponds and pools"