Weeding walkways?

Organize and arrange your garden and vegetable garden: ornamental, landscape, wild garden, materials, fruits and vegetables, vegetable garden, natural fertilizers, shelters, pools or natural swimming pool. lifetime plants and crops in your garden.
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Weeding walkways?

by Ahmed » 18/05/17, 09:41

To open this subject, I take the pretext of the concerns ofExnihiloest, the poor, who is forced to treat its aisles with glyphosate, since it deprives it of its usual sodium hydroxide! : Lol:
Personally, greenery insupposes me much less than this obsession with maximum sterilization, but I can understand that for some is psychologically reassuring (there may be other reasons for this requirement) ...

There are quite a few ways to deal with the problem. The easiest way, at least on a theoretical level, is to take this aspect into account when designing the aisles, depending on their functionality and also on your idea. In this hypothesis, the modalities vary according to its "degree of allergy" to chlorophyll. It goes from the grassy and more or less mowed passage, to the same one, but with slabs passing through, or, at the other end, a hollowed out ground, covered with a "bidim" (non-woven geotextile) and backfilled. with crushed stone or equivalent. This last case will see very little grass implantation and its rooting remaining superficial greatly reduces the difficulty of elimination (provided you do not wait too long before reacting!).
The general case is not this, however, and you have to do with the aisles in place and find curative solutions. Janic mentioned thermal weeding, a solution that works very well at the weed seedling stage, but remains poorly suited to well-established herbs: we only get a tedding of the aerial parts. This mode of action is energy intensive and if you choose it, you should not forget that the goal is not to burn the leaves, but to cause a thermal shock which will then lead to drying, therefore, do not insist too heavily: the slight sag under the flame of affected organs indicates that the goal has been reached. It is still possible to destroy adult plants in this way, but it should not be concealed that several passages will be necessary.
A transparent (or opaque?) Tarpaulin briefly spread over the grassy parts will play the same role as the butane / propane torch, provided that the sun is very active (so it depends on the season and the cloudiness) and the exhibition of the place ...
Harvesting gives good results depending on the type of weed and the type of support, but can be very laborious, if not impossible.
A last solution consists in using boiling water: on condition of operating with caution and in hot and dry weather, this generally gives very good results since the thermal action is not limited to the aerial parts, but extends to root zones. Another advantage compared to the gas torch is that it is possible to act at the foot of a thuja hedge (or other sensitive place) without setting it on fire! :(

I voluntarily limit myself to physical processes, knowing that plant-based weedkillers are starting to be marketed and that usual household products are also taken from their usual use, without this guaranteeing perfect safety ...
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
olivier75
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Re: Weeding the aisles?

by olivier75 » 18/05/17, 10:28

Hello,

Here is what I did, started 5 years ago, I'm happy with it. The photo was taken last week, we planned to leave a flowery strip, but finally gave up for maneuverability.
There is only manual weeding and pasta water on the dandelions.
I repeat that we are hardly present.
If I had to do it again I would make a hedgehog everywhere like on the photo, while on the original part, the frames often touch the bidim.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Olivier
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 18/05/17, 10:38

The honeycomb structure aims to stabilize this type of gravel, fine and round ...
You mean you would dispense with honeycomb frames to have only this layer of coarse aggregates (hedgehog)?
0 x
olivier75
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by olivier75 » 18/05/17, 11:02

No, the frames are used to stabilize the gravel to walk without slipping with each step, while leaving it "unpacked" to weed with the roots. But I will put more stones underneath to dry out. Today seeds have enough reserve to access the bidim and make micro-grasses which cross it.
That said apart from the dandelions stuck in the plastic, weeding and very easy and the roots come.
The ecological dimension compared to weed killer remains to be put into perspective.

Olivier
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 18/05/17, 11:12

On the stabilizing aspect of the structure, I say the same thing as you ... Thank you for the clarification about the importance of the hedgehog.
Bidim and plastic frames are still durable, which reduces the impact of their initial production ...
0 x
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gaston » 18/05/17, 11:37

olivier75 wrote:There is only manual weeding and pasta water on the dandelions.
I confirm.
At home it's more like potato water, but it works very well, with the same disadvantage as chlorate of soda: it leaves salt in the soil.
0 x
olivier75
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by olivier75 » 18/05/17, 12:14

I'm going from 40 to 300 feet of potato this year, so it will probably be potato water too!
I don't dirty the cooking water a little, and put less than 20l per year on 100m2, I think it's negligible.
Olivier.
0 x
jpg43
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by jpg43 » 19/05/17, 09:50

Hello, in the weeding of the aisles with boiling water or blowtorch I would like to underline the destruction of the fauna which undergoes this aggression.
I don't have much to weed but I will try these new so-called ecological weed killers.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 19/05/17, 10:39

Jpg43, you are right, it is an inevitable collateral damage, but however out of proportion with that, practiced on a large scale and in sensibly richer environments, by industrial agriculture or even "chemical" gardening.
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 19/05/17, 11:04

pure sodium chlorate brings very little salt because it is very effective and we put little

alas for a long time the chlorate was mixed with half salt to make it unusable in the manufacture of explosives: it makes it miserably polluting because it is necessary to put much more ... and it is useless against terrorism because the manufacture of chlorate of soda is easy for a competent chemist

Anyway to deserber you need energy: to make chlorate we take salt and we bring it energy by electrolysis ... and chloraate has its destructive effect by releasing this energy before becoming salt again

the thermal blowpipe type torch are energy sink, and given the high price of gas in small bottles, we can prefer electric thermal pump

if we wanted to do a thermal deserbing we would have to invent something less stupid than a blowtorch: a fairly large box that we put on the ground on the deserber zone with a heating means that will heat the soil without losing the heat in l 'air

the heating means could be a wood fireplace that is fed with garden waste!

boiling water is a good solution: you can have solar heating or a wood fireplace for all the uses of the house and it is used for oil removal in addition

do not forget when you put a thermostatic valve to avoid scalding users of hot water to put another tap not passing through the thermostat to have boiling water for oil removal!
0 x