What the BRF tree or evergreen?

Organize and arrange your garden and vegetable garden: ornamental, landscape, wild garden, materials, fruits and vegetables, vegetable garden, natural fertilizers, shelters, pools or natural swimming pool. lifetime plants and crops in your garden.
Christophe

What the BRF tree or evergreen?

by Christophe » 08/10/16, 15:09

I just cut 2 fir trees in the garden, I find myself with a large amount (1 2 m3 nasal view) of BRF after grinding small branches.

What are the possible uses? The tree being well acid and the BRF quite dense, I would not put it anywhere?

The use in the kitchen garden lazy does not seem appropriate ... so flat or shrub base can be?

Thank you

BRF_fir_2.jpg

BRF_sapin.jpg
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: What to do with the BRF of fir or conifer?

by Ahmed » 08/10/16, 15:38

The needles of conifers often induce (it depends on the species!) Of the acidity in the soil, but if one considers all the branches, it is much less flagrant.
Knowing that the BRF of pure conifers produces a lower quality humus than that of hardwoods and, in the presence of an abundant and point source, I would apply the "Jean Pain method": a kind of pre-composting which regulates all the phenomena linked to unfavorable essences (as is the case here) or to the presence of tannins that are a little too "beefy" ... Then I spread it without any other form of process, like ordinary BRF ...
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Christophe

by Christophe » 08/10/16, 19:17

Yes I think the same, thank you!

Otherwise use this BRF as "anti-shoot" maybe?

Like at the borders?
0 x
eclectron
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by eclectron » 08/10/16, 19:23

For me the land is clay and limestone and I dream of blueberries, chestnut, azalea, rhododendron, etc ..., in short everything that does not grow or not well in limestone.
I would compost this BRF and fill an area with, for acidic soil, taking care to isolate local soil with epdm pierced at the bottom to avoid water stagnation and / or with a geotextile.
I prefer a waterproof plastic to geotextile, it limits the surface of exchange with the calcareous soil

Not done yet but think highly.

For now I'm stocking my BRF compost with Leyland cypress + some fir.
The pb is that the bottom BRF has seen eye as composting progresses : Lol:

It is true that I also wonder about the quality of such a compost?
Can RCF of composted hardwood be incorporated to enrich it or hardwood logs in the decomposition stage at the bottom?

I have a small tank of 2mx1m and 80cm deep, in the ground, isolated from the ground with PVC pond cover, pierced at the bottom, filled with peat and heather earth on the surface (no BRF at the time) and the azalea is really beautiful, practically 20 years old. This azalea still has something to develop for quite a few years.
0 x
whatever.
We will try the 3 posts per day max
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 08/10/16, 20:40

Christophe, you did not specify the kind of "fir" ... (it looks like, in view of the photo, spruce ...).
Regarding an "anti-growth" use, nothing guarantees any effectiveness: it would be better to use ground oak heartwood, with very aggressive tannins, but the effect will however be quite temporary, due to the great solubility of these tannins.
0 x
eclectron
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by eclectron » 09/10/16, 10:06

@AhmedSince you seem to know about the chemical substances of plants, do you have an opinion on the composted Leyland Cypress BRF in order to grow acidophilic plants in this compost?
0 x
whatever.
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 09/10/16, 16:20

It is not certain that this kind of substrate corresponds to your expectations and it will be necessary to wait for the measurement of the PH to be able to affirm something ...

I had developed a soil from bark waste (mainly resinous) and I had it tested by INRA Nancy who were looking for a culture medium with particular characteristics and the result was excellent: very good ability to exchange, PH neutral (but it was not what they wanted). I used it a long time successfully.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 09/10/16, 18:55

I also think we can use without worrying too much ...

This acidification story does not seem logical to me. Conifers (finally gymnosperms) existed long before hardwoods. They have decomposed without any harm to the environment ... I have the impression that we repeat as it has been said that spinach is rich in iron! [it's a secretary who made a comma error in a result of analysis, the time we did the tables with a Remington]

A coniferous forest will tend towards acidification, because we are moving towards a "conifer / mushroom" system which works best when the soil is acidic ...
0 x
eclectron
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by eclectron » 09/10/16, 18:56

Ahmed wrote:It is not certain that this kind of substrate corresponds to your expectations and it will be necessary to wait for the measurement of the PH to be able to affirm something ...

I had developed a soil from bark waste (mainly resinous) and I had it tested by INRA Nancy who were looking for a culture medium with particular characteristics and the result was excellent: very good ability to exchange, PH neutral (but it was not what they wanted). I used it a long time successfully.

OK, thank you for your answer, good idea I will test the PH. : Wink:
if I extrapolate what you say in my case, I risk having a neutral compost and not acid, it's not dramatic.
what makes me a little scared with cypress Leyland is its so-called toxicity to other plants but maybe it gets better with composting?
0 x
whatever.
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 09/10/16, 19:22

I do not know what you will actually get, what I wanted to say with my example, it is precisely that it is difficult to predict a priori what we get ...
Normally, as I said above, a pre-composting neutralizes these harmful effects. The major drawback of the "Jean Pain method" is that it requires a lot of work and above all that it requires a lot of water, which is paradoxical for (original) use in arid environments!
0 x