Aquapanel, siding, novabrik?

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
monique
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Aquapanel, siding, novabrik?

by monique » 14/09/10, 12:05

Hello !
Could someone tell me which of these materials is the most insulating and easy to place outside a timber frame house?
The aquapanels seem to really require a lot of technical knowledge (+ good weather) and the cladding does not seem appreciated by the Walloon region in Belgium.
I wonder if the novabrik ( www.novabrik.be ) is a good solution.
Has anyone used it?
Thank you!
Monique
0 x
moniqum: the girlfriend of a self-builder => his assistant
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 14/09/10, 14:00

Concrete bricks screwed !!
What weight on a wooden frame ?????
Risk of being too heavy ?????
What thickness?
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 14/09/10, 14:11

2,5 Kg / concrete brick, 50 bricks per m2 or 125 kg per m2 and tons on tens of m2 !!
Very unnecessarily heavy for wood which will weaken ???
Weight 1/4 or 1/5 of ordinary concrete blocks ??
Thermal insulation of concrete, i.e. none, worse than the concrete block with voids !!
Thickness, mystery ??
http://www.novabrik.be/fiches-techniques/092419.pdf

uh !!
0 x
jyl1967
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Novabrik

by jyl1967 » 15/09/10, 08:55

The Novabrik, like all other bricks, is not intended to be insulating. It is an easy to install siding system.

If a concrete block wall or a wooden frame cannot support 125kg / m², it will not withstand the slightest cost of wind.

Wood that is properly attached to the wall has enormous shear strength. (it is also never calculated)

The Novabrik can be installed with or without insulation and when there is a batten is fixed using an angle designed for this purpose.

This product is guaranteed 50 years in Canada !!!!

Insulating the walls of a house from the outside is the best way to do this. Currently only plaster (very delicate to place) allows to finish the insulation. The Novabrik is another that can be placed by any good handyman.

So please, before judging a product so quickly, please study it a little more !!!
0 x
Christophe

Re: Novabrik

by Christophe » 15/09/10, 09:35

jyl1967 wrote:So please, before judging a product so quickly, please study it a little more !!!

Sorry it does not seem to me that we judge hastily, because to the question:

moniqum wrote:Could someone tell me which of these materials is the most insulating and easy to place outside a timber frame house?

The answer is clearly that the Novabrik is not an insulating facing so is not suitable for this scenario ...
0 x
monique
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Thank you!

by monique » 15/09/10, 10:20

Thanks to Christophe and Jyl!
I am a little lost by the answers. If I understand correctly, I put an insulator and the novabrik corresponds to a rather correct possibility for the house.
Thanks again !
0 x
moniqum: the girlfriend of a self-builder => his assistant
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 15/09/10, 12:43

I quickly read the implementation doc:

http://www.novabrik.be/photos-choisie/guide2-alba.pdf

it is quite far from our habits. Are there only architects here who can validly monitor this kind of work?
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 15/09/10, 12:56

Wood that is properly attached to the wall has enormous shear strength. (it is also never calculated)

Confession, with wood you never calculate, because very light and without excessive weight problem !!!
If we weigh it down with concrete block bricks, like concrete block houses, we must calculate instead of going there with my eyes closed and check that the framework has been planned for !! !!

What is the weight ratio per m2 compared to concrete blocks of different thicknesses ??? A priori comparable for 5 or 10cm !!

To see the US houses after a tornado, only the concrete walls remain and the wood does not have a huge resistance to complex efforts which are not only shear. !!!

I am not judgmental, but look at the objective facts not put forward at first glance on the Novabrik site.
My question :
"what thickness?"
remained unanswered !!

The thickness of this coating is not indicated !!
To see the figures, it is like for concrete blocks, 15 to 20 cm !!
You might as well put some thin concrete blocks and plaster !!

Another question, what is the price of Novabrik compared to concrete blocks ?? 5, 10 times more ?????????

My reaction, is that we are trying to sell us camouflaged concrete blocks with a presentation full of omissions that can mislead buyers !!

Having been "screwed" by an architect, I became suspicious!
0 x
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 15/09/10, 13:25

jyl1967 is right! The Novabrik has been used here in Canada for quite a long time to say that it is a reliable product but the great advantage is that it can be installed by everyone so no need for briquiter which alone costs 50% of the brick.

All wooden structures can support these bricks unlike the usual brick which must be worn on the floor.

The novabrik is a facing and is not intended for the insulation that must be done under the facing.

The thickness is around 25mm.
0 x
Stepping behind sometimes can strengthen friendship.
Criticism is good if added to some compliments.
Alain
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 15/09/10, 14:47

There must be several types because by looking in more detail on their Belgian site I see 62,5mm thick which fit together.
http://www.novabrik.be/fiches-techniques/092419.pdf
and not 25mm which is very thin and much lighter

Good to give a Canadian look, if I understand correctly!
It is therefore according to decorative tastes, to make it yourself !!
0 x

Back to "Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ..."