Heat with vegetable oil

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
Paul
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Heat with vegetable oil

by Paul » 20/02/10, 02:11

Hello
For several days I read posts on vegetable oil burners for oil boilers but I did not find posts to burn oil in a closed fireplace. I tried, but the result is not terrible. For the moment I pour the oil + mix in a metal pot and with absorbent paper as a wick to light it.
It lasts for hours but the heat is very low and the chimney is clogged much more than with wood.
If someone has had the same experience as me and found a solution to improve combustion and efficiency please let us know
ps. since I changed vehicle, I don't run any more oil, a large stock of oil and mixes sleep at the bottom of the garage, it would be stupid to throw it in the recycling center
please
0 x
Flytox

by Flytox » 20/02/10, 23:05

Hi Paolo

Welcome to Econo.
Your oil cannot burn properly under these conditions. The heat is low and the pollution intense. You have to spray this oil so that it can burn properly, the trouble is that the ball burner type system is quite noisy ..... In the living room it's not really ideal. : Cry:

At a minimum, the oil should be "injected" into a "hot" area to try to vaporize / burn it more cleanly at a higher temperature.

You can always try to reheat the oil which arrives at the wick by putting for example a piece of copper which touches the bottom of the flame and the oil at the same time. Don't make coke either ...
Even like that I dare not imagine the smoke, the smell and the pollution that it can produce ...

: Cry: : Mrgreen:
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
STF
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by STF » 21/02/10, 18:32

Otherwise very simple, without modifying your chimney, you can make sawdust briquettes (or shavings) + oil (besides with molasses, it works even better : Cheesy: ) (the oil being fluid at + low t °, it remains greasy on contact and "holds" less well the mixture which crumbles more .. but it's going well anyway)
In terms of proportion, it depends on the draft of your fireplace, the wood you use ... in short, test and see how it burns, if it smokes, smells, ...
On the other hand, we are going to say that your chimney becomes like your ex-car, it is in dual-fuel, you have to light it and heat it with wood, once the hearth very hot, you can put your mixture there, if it is too cold, it burns badly, the oil flows into the bottom of the insert and there, you end up with a charcoal of oil which makes you a hard layer, super boring to remove. :x
For the stop, you can let the end burn like that, no need to purge with wood : Mrgreen:

To hold the mixture, you can use PQ tubes, newspaper that will wrap everything, cardboard, in short, you have the choice.
However, it's still greasy to handle and store, think about it : roll:
Otherwise, you mainly do it with molasses and it's a little better, especially in cold weather.
And in this case, as I have not changed my car, I am willing to get rid of your oil, especially if you are in the Alps. : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 21/02/10, 19:10

it's really a shame to burn oil for heating, which is much more valuable in a diesel

the best would be to sell it to someone who puts it in a diesel and buy real wood to heat you

but unfortunately as long as vegetable oil is prohibited for road vehicles, it is not easy to sell: but it is not prohibited for agricultural tractors

the best would be to know someone who sells wood and who runs his tractor in oil

the best way to burn molasses or dirty oil is to add it in small doses to a good, fairly hot fire
0 x