Heat pump water heater

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
Marsubleu
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Heat pump water heater

by Marsubleu » 03/02/10, 09:02

Hello,

I would like to know if someone has already installed a heat pump water heater. And if so, what impressions?

Here in Japan, under the name Eco-cute, it is a technology that is developing quite a lot.
The heat pump has a much better performance than the resistors and once coupled at a rate of off-peak hours, it seems that it is a good way to produce hot water at lower cost (and energy).

All the major manufacturers of household electrical appliances have done so (Panasonic, Mitsubishi, Corona, Hitachi).
0 x
dirk pitt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dirk pitt » 03/02/10, 09:45

well, it's a heat pump ... and so what?

in absolute terms, the COP is better than with an electrical resistance, no doubt. the problem is always the same: the relationship between investment and operating cost.

how much does such a system cost in the face of an electric cumulus?
what annual savings can we expect?

From what I saw on the net, it seems that these devices favor CO2 as refrigerant gas (which will become the trend anyway). it means quite high pressure circuits .... longevity .... maintenance cost .... a water heater resistance is worth 3 times nothing.

better to do solar DHW.
0 x
Click my signature
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 03/02/10, 10:04

I saw a brochure for this type of water heater at my wholesaler of electrical equipment. The price leaves ... pensive :frown: (and again this is the reseller prices, I dare not even imagine what it will be billed once the installer has taken his margin ...)
0 x
bernardd
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bernardd » 03/02/10, 10:20

The principle is better than heating with the Joule effect, but still less interesting overall than thermal solar and wood.

By the way, the most interesting machine is the fridge in winter:
- a cop> 3 or 4 on the cold side,
- and a cop> 3 or 4 hot side to heat the house ...

It just lacks the cold storage fridge, to operate only on photovoltaic solar or at low cost.

Knowing that the wood-burning fridge doesn't really exist yet :-)
0 x
See you soon !
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 03/02/10, 11:03

bernardd wrote:Knowing that the wood-burning fridge doesn't really exist yet :-)

Someone gifted might very well do it. it does well with gas. So rather than heating the boiler with gas you can do it with wood.
Must still be rather good handyman I think, and the development is not necessarily obvious.
0 x
loop
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by loop » 03/02/10, 12:28

Bonjour,

It should be noted that the thermodynamic circuit takes calories from ... the ambient air!
So if the water heater is placed in the home, it cools the home. In winters this is a major problem, and there the COP can do nothing! (nothing is lost, nothing is created ...)

Final balance: savings may be seen over the year on the electric meter, but it is the heating bill that increases in winters.

A+
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 03/02/10, 13:17

This is why on the brochure I read, they recommend placing this kind of water heater in an unheated room outside the house (garage, cellar)
0 x
loop
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by loop » 03/02/10, 13:23

Well yes but if it is to replace an existing cumulus in the home, must the installation be redone?

I doubt that the sellers of this type of material highlight this drawback.

A+
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 03/02/10, 13:28

And the lifespan?

- A heating CAP is 10-15 years ... it makes noise, it must be maintained and it is expensive. How much is a DHW heat pump? Half? (based on 6 months of heating) ...

- A good resistance ca can be "eternal" ... it is silent and maintenance free and it is almost given.

I never believed in these technological gadgets that are thermodynamic water heaters ... at least for individuals. Surely profitable with blows of subsidies ...

There is surely an interest for communities which have large flow rates ... but in this case an independent heat pump which can heat something else and which would heat a "classic" balloon with X heat exchangers is sufficient ...
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 03/02/10, 13:35

We agree
0 x