Wood heating and pollution

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
andre-34
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Wood heating and pollution

by andre-34 » 12/02/09, 21:10

I was persuaded of it by observing villages submerged by a smog smelling of wood smoke and by my neighbor who prevents me from hanging the linen and opening the windows in winter (rooms which are not heated for the air) ....

Montreal
Ban on wood heating: Why a consultation?

QMI André Beauvais Agency
08/02/2009 18h43

Even if the City of Montreal is committed to consulting the population on the ban on heating with wood, in its territory, "there is no question of changing the political orientation", says Alan DeSousa, sponsor of this project of settlement to the City of Montreal.

But why then a public consultation?

"Stakeholders may have good ideas to improve the by-law, improve it and better understand its importance," comments the mayor of the Saint-Laurent borough and member of the executive committee.

And are we going to let Laval, Longueuil and the other cities multiply the wood heaters and add to Montreal's pollution according to the prevalence of the winds?

In the right direction

"We are taking a step in the right direction, comments Alan DeSousa, and I hope that all the cities of Greater Montreal will go in this direction and will do like the municipality of Hampstead, which was the first to adopt such a by-law." "We have to take action," he says, "and quickly ban wood heating in order to improve air quality in Montreal." There is no question of going back. ”

He also reminds us that this winter is very difficult for people who have cardio-respiratory problems. “Since the start of winter, the City of Montreal has had 25 days of smog warning. Solutions must be found to improve the situation, ”comments the environmental policy officer to the executive committee.

He believes that the by-law that will be tabled in council on February 23 will be one of the most comprehensive and modern in large urban centers in Canada. One of the most severe, too. But Alan DeSousa counts on solid support, including that of the Montreal Public Health Department.

"It's an excellent initiative," adds Norman King, epidemiologist at the Montreal Health and Social Services Agency.

Untimely death

King says Canadian study shows 1540 Montrealers with heart and respiratory disease die prematurely each year from air pollution in all its forms, including the very serious one caused by heating wood that produces almost half of the fine particles in smog. The spokesman for the City of Montreal repeated in all the interviews he gave on the subject, that "a wood stove that operates for nine hours creates as much pollution as a car that travels 18 kilometers".

source: http://www2.canoe.com/infos/quebeccanad ... 84313.html

8) 8)
0 x
Lietseu
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Lietseu » 12/02/09, 23:11

Hi André34 and welcome to econology ...

I don't have the chance to live in Montreal, Quebec, but Antwerp, Belgium ...

What I find extra ordinary in your story is that some people are concerned about the smoke from the neighbor's wood stove, while others (here notably) have their lungs "blocked" by the stench of hundreds of chimneys which burn gazolle, which are badly regulated and which smoke "in a host and in a tabernacle" as have been said by you : Mrgreen:

Unheard of to see how the world is a small village and the concerns of each other the same :?

to be continued...
0 x
By removing Human Nature, he was far from his nature! Lietseu
"The power of love, must be stronger than the love of power" contemporary Lie Tzu?
One sees clearly only with the heart, the essential is invisible to the eyes ...
AIR
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by AIR » 13/02/09, 13:36

With us in France, industrial discharges are controlled by the operator and checked by DRIRE which will be DREAL ...
In short, at night all cats are gray ...

And as I said, you shouldn't burn anything, because there are no pollutant filters on the individual fireplaces ... dry and untreated wood!
I learned during a barbecue from the public service mentioned above, that the latter polluted more than a household waste incineration plant ...
8)
0 x
the men precede the forest, the deserts follow them "CHATEAUBRIANT
Christophe

by Christophe » 13/02/09, 13:49

Wood heating has been banned in Paris for decades for the same reasons ...

And yes ecological heating does not rhyme with clean heating (except in advertising flyers but it is not reality).

We can clearly see it in the spring on our solar panels (below our 2 fireplaces): there is soot which has fallen (we heat 100% with wood + solar).
0 x
clasou
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by clasou » 13/02/09, 14:57

Hello,
Me too that worries me, especially after having read different subject and having seen how my wood burns this year.

I realized that this fractionated dry wood gave 38% of humidity as much to say that it smokes.

So I'm looking to make a kind of mass stove, in fact I have a godin closed fireplace, and I would like to break the casing and the hood to make a box? in refractory brick.

Since as it is said if you burn deeply for two or three hours, you save more heat in smoke.

The concern is to know what is the mass of brick and what kind it takes on average. Because I bought one to try to see the rise and the recovery time and well which is sold to resist 1500 it tends to split.

so if anyone has any ideas on how to calculate, i tried with volume and mass.
weird.
In addition apparently the softwoods would be perhaps more calorific than the oak, just a question of drying.
to follow clasou
0 x
sebarmageddon
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by sebarmageddon » 12/11/09, 15:07

Hello ,

I also have this problem, and I wanted to write a new message on this forum , but did not really know what to put in it and as I see that there is already one, I take advantage of it.

I am confronted with this problem in the following way, on the one hand a chimney A which smokes normally I would say, but which really stinks, on the other hand a chimney B of steam locomotive, which smoke, really too much, and which the also stinks (not dry burnt wood?).
depending on the wind direction, we take either the smoke from the chimney A, or the smoke from the chimney B.

When I open my velux window, I make a gesture for the planet, I ventilate the outside, everyone knows the advice to open the windows to remove the pollution from inside our homes, and well I do the opposite, I open the velux window to drive out the pollution from the outside and bring it back home ...
it may seem like a joke to some, but the situation is such that this is really what is happening, the opening of a window is the assured entry of pollution from these chimneys.

For a few years now, I tell myself that I will write to the member from my area, because there is really enough to see this problem affecting public health, not being resolved, and I cannot help comparing this one , to the Chernobyl cloud that stopped at the French borders, probably he was afraid of finding himself in an irregular situation if he crossed the border ..., it is still that we realize without difficulty that France at a serious annoyance.

so I have two neighbors who heat with wood, but others also use this type of heating in the corner, the conditions are unfavorable around here, since this pollution does not leave easily, the district being in a hollow, which the fact that in winter, in the evening, we observe smog ..., as André-34 says

how, in France, heating with wood can not be a problem, while we observe that in other countries, the authorities emphasize the risks on pollution, but also, on health (hence the parallel that I do with Chernobyl, with our leaders who said that we risked nothing ...), why these countries do something, while in France, nothing ...?
Why does the state introduce a carbon tax, which does not concern wood (as if by chance), rather than a pollution tax?

I talk about Chernobyl, but to think about it, asbestos would rather the right subject, the state knew, other countries had banned (if I'm not mistaken), but France continued with ...

no doubt as traders sell crappy inserts, which are nevertheless permitted by the state, why are not they banned?

I think the lobby is not for nothing in this case ...

go tell their people that their polluting chimney and smoke too much, they will say that you will not prohibit them from heat ... in short, the discution would immediately off topic

force people to put filters on their fireplace, this is it really possible, those who are surrounded by people basking in the woods, have noticed all the soot deposited all over the floor, roofs, etc ..., or a filter is good, but given the amount of soot that are everywhere, the filter would quickly clogged in my opinion, especially in my area, but I do not think it seraiit the case of people with inserts of very good quality.

my parents have an oil fired boiler, it surely pollute, but I do not know how far, lla boiler must have 5ans I think she has not a continuous, yet happy

for cars, there are pollution cuts to manufacturer, and technical control signals pollution of their vehicle with driver, why is it not reproduced for the fireplace, and that whatever the energy used?

no, I really think there's a left to do in France, our authorities surely know all that, but do nothing.
it is clear that we already touch with some disease, and cancer, the state does not solve this pollution problem with fireplace, but he will have to rule health expenditures that go with

personally, in the evening, when I go outside, I sometimes put on a mask like gas mask, with filters that are normally intended for paint vapors, it is effective, I no longer feel the foul odors of chimneys , but does this kind of mask block all the pollutants coming out of chimneys that work with wood?

I have another question, I collect rainwater in a trash can, using a tarp, but this water is contaminated by soot from nearby chimneys (surely that of the steam locomotive on the neighbor's roof), is this water to be considered as polluted, and therefore not to be used to water plants needing clean water?

you will understand that here I am talking about neighbors who surely have an old insert, and who also burn wet wood, and that this case probably cannot be the same as that of a person with neighbors using their chimney correctly with good material

in France the only regulation concerns the height of the chimney flue on the roof, nothing else, so people suffer, see, feel, are sick, but can not do anything about it, it's really the impression that i 'have .

here, I don't see what else to say, except maybe I'm going back to an old post from forum .

Thanks for reading me
a+
0 x
dirk pitt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dirk pitt » 12/11/09, 15:56

let's not throw stones on wood heating "in general" but on those who use a faulty system or bad wood, or whatever.
I have a Jotul wood stove and I challenge you to know if it is in operation or not by watching what comes out of the chimney (apart from the first 5 minutes, the time it rises in temperature)

therefore indeed, there should be a way to claim a minimum "level" of combustion efficiency and to have violations of this rule noted. this is unfortunately not the case today.
0 x
Click my signature
clasou
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by clasou » 12/11/09, 16:31

Hello,
I don't think that regulation is necessary, which like me only heats with wood, does not take long to react, because if it smokes it means that it burns badly and in this case it heats badly, and my goal is not to be cold.

So maybe on the side of those who use it as an atmosphere, but it should also be seen on the side of barbecues in the summer, because when you see how and make charcoal ..

On that we touch the ego to the well-being (apparent of people), and what about those who are waiting for madam or gentleman in front of eg bakery leaving the engine running with or without air conditioning.

It is fashionable to do your own behavior analysis.
a + claude
0 x
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 12/11/09, 17:03

+1 with dirk pitt!

If it stinks is that there is poor combustion, often the stoves are too big for the need as well as the chimney whose diameter is too large.

Here in Canada we have a civil law that prohibits disturbance of the neighborhood including smelly chimneys.

The new stoves that burn hot gases do not smoke, we can put our noses at the end of the chimney without the nose or eyes itching.

Check with the community to see if there is no means of a good neighborly obligation, much like we have here in Canada.

I made move a chimney of an unpleasant neighbor who always sent me unburnt on my cars because his chimney was not in conformity, I brought in the police who gave him a ticket which they disputed and lost because the police officer noticed the crime still on my vehicles and around his chimney, the court ordered him to react otherwise there would be a fine again and more salty than the first offense.
8)
0 x
Stepping behind sometimes can strengthen friendship.
Criticism is good if added to some compliments.
Alain
Flytox

by Flytox » 12/11/09, 18:12

dirk pitt wrote:let's not throw stones on wood heating "in general" but on those who use a faulty system or bad wood, or whatever.
I have a Jotul wood stove and I challenge you to know if it is in operation or not by watching what comes out of the chimney (apart from the first 5 minutes, the time it rises in temperature)

For my part I have a René Brisach insert (30 years old?). Since I split my logs with a log splitter (at random the largest diameter used is 70 mm) and the smaller they are wet it does not smoke at all !!! (except startup : Mrgreen: )

The air draft is always fully open and the adjustment flap at the base of the exhaust in the most closed position. I charge well to have a really bright fire, the glass self-cleans without any problem and after about 3.5 months of operation last winter I did not have a volume of ash of 1 liter which fell from the chimney when I swept it up. 8) This is the best setting I have found.
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132