Comparative logs boilers. Wood heating

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
Christophe

Comparative logs boilers. Wood heating

by Christophe » 09/10/08, 10:54

Here is a comparative table of some wood boilers available on the French market: De Dietrich CBB, Energie79 Duchesse et Hydrobois, ETA SH 20, Fisher VX30, Fröling FHG Turbo 3000, Herlt HV22, Herz FireStar Biocontrol 3000, HS Tarm Solo Innova, Morvan MH22 (we recently talked about the Morvan MH22 in this subject install-and-a-heating-wood-with-extra-solar-t6041.html )

This table comes from the file of our Natural Habitat Partner who has just published a complete dossier on wood energy in his last number.

Here is the summary of this issue: http://www.habitatnaturel.fr/hn2/show.php?num=22

Some remarks or rather astonishment:

- the disparities in yields: I did not think that we could still sell new boilers in 2008 at 65% efficiency (the 2 Energie79 boilers)! : Shock:
- the absence of the Buderus Logano Buderus is however a famous big brand! It is sold 2000 € HT according to my favorite plumber.
- the poor performance of DeDietrich (famous brand) at 70%
- the wide disparity in prices: from € 2700 excl. tax (note that all prices are excl. tax) to € 8500 excl.
- it would have been interesting to put whether the boiler was eligible for the tax credit or not!
- the best price performance compromise is the HS TARM (Danish) with a Turbo system (finally my deom is perhaps not so bad in terms of performance ...): electronic regulation, turbo, 20kW for 4900 € HT.

In general: the prices are still high especially considering the work that represents a wood boiler! At more than 50 € per cubic meter of wood, you have to be very motivated or very eco-friendly to install a new log boiler at 8000 € HT (installation, supply and rest of the installation not included) instead of a boiler oil ...

ps: I still haven't understood how the power of a wood-fired boiler was defined: indeed unlike gas or oil or the burner power is known, with wood it depends on what you burn and especially on how much we charge. Would the power of a wood boiler be the maximum power of the fireplace exchanger?

Other comparisons of wood burning appliances: Heating-to-wood-choose-a-unit-of-quality-t6318.html
Last edited by Christophe the 29 / 10 / 08, 15: 42, 1 edited once.
0 x
C moa
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Re: Comparison of log boilers. Wood heating

by C moa » 20/10/08, 16:32

Christophe wrote:ps: I still haven't understood how the power of a wood-fired boiler was defined: indeed unlike gas or oil or the burner power is known, with wood it depends on what you burn and especially on how much we charge. Would the power of a wood boiler be the maximum power of the fireplace exchanger?
This certainly needs to be clarified but with our wood stove (it is not a boiler but it is for the principle) we were surprised to see that you had a stable temperature in the house whatever the load of the stove.
We even noticed that, depending on the opening of the air supply, we were able to adjust the temperature of the house to within 1/2 ° C whatever the load and whatever the outside temperature ( we are well isolated overall).
So I imagine that if it works as well with the boilers, a small regulation loop and voila.

Being used to the old inserts that always had to be watched and revived, I was really surprised to see that even if I only had a few embers and I added 3 logs, it started off at the same stable pace without me need to increase the opening and without having a huge flame all at once.
Finally, still in comparison with the insert, I was very surprised by the very small volume of ash produced.
0 x
lemontval
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by lemontval » 11/01/14, 08:53

Hello,
I am in the estimate phase to change my heating installation, I want to put a reverse combustion log boiler and in the comparison there are no KWB boilers.
Does anyone have any info or feedback on this brand?
I thank you in advance.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 11/01/14, 14:26

In pellets, KWB ranks among the top manufacturers!

In logs, I don't know. But a serious Austrian brand has little chance of producing stew! This is only valid as a personal opinion.
0 x
lemontval
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by lemontval » 11/01/14, 17:00

Thank you this is also what I said to myself :D
0 x