Ecological dehumidification

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
gilgamesh
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Ecological dehumidification

by gilgamesh » 29/06/08, 20:42

Hello,

For quality reasons I need a controlled humidity environment in my workshop but dehumidifiers eat a lot of electricity with a fairly thin result. In general I see a consumption of around 85 watt hour and in average condition it is difficult to come below 60% humidity and in very humid weather not even that. Does anyone know more efficient and less greedy methods ???
0 x
there is no absolute truth in the realm of phenomena

gilgamesh
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jonule » 30/06/08, 10:08

breathe the walls

ventilate the room

to use silica gel beads? or any other moisture-absorbent material: it exists with green clay (excavated cheaper) put in a funnel type inverted plastic container, material replacing those on the market
0 x
Christine
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Christine » 30/06/08, 10:14

VMC? some work needed but if it is for a workshop, no need to redo the decoration :D
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 30/06/08, 10:25

The silica beads are effectively "reversible" by letting them dry in the sun.

But it takes kg (and double: one that absorbs and one that dries).
Worth seeing the volume of your room knowing that an M3 of air hardly contains more than 20 grams of water.

I don't even know if we can buy it "in bulk" (if so tell me or it would interest me!).

VMC is good it sucks less than an air conditioner (a dehumidimeter is an adapted air conditioner with very limited performance from a moment) but the investment of a VMC is significant especially if it is a double flow ( 1000 €). A simple 1st price stream is worth 50 € excluding installation and work (noisy but for a workshop it can go).
0 x
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jonule » 30/06/08, 10:33

yes I had found some at Kg, searching the net ...

the balls can also be placed in a box!
a dry and a wet ...

if not to replace a fan: make a solar chimney, it knocks in black it heats and it circulates (hot air balloon)!
like the window that opens at the top of a veranda / greenhouse:

childish ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 30/06/08, 10:43

jonule wrote:childish ...

: Lol: : Lol: : Lol:

You will always make me laugh :)
0 x
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jonule » 30/06/08, 10:51

@ yours :D

it reminds me of the air conditioning vortex, whose flow was made of a long black stove tube whose air circulated naturally inside, and where the cold air was taken from the center of a vortex created at the base with fins made from a can:

0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 30/06/08, 10:55

Ah, that's already more achievable ...

But how is the circulation in the "cold air outlet" tube?
0 x
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jonule » 30/06/08, 11:15

well in this case yes, it is forced, but a small extractor consumes almost nothing ...

well, we can also imagine recovering the flow of the hot tube as circulation energy? ....

to return to the solar chimney, you should know that it can serve as a skylight, installs like a roof window, and is durable over time. it’s even warm in cold weather if it’s sunny.

in any case it does not require any operating NRJ, and dehumidifies.
0 x
gilgamesh
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by gilgamesh » 30/06/08, 11:20

Christophe wrote:VMC is good it sucks less than an air conditioner (a dehumidimeter is an adapted air conditioner with very limited performance from a moment) but the investment of a VMC is significant especially if it is a double flow ( 1000 €). A simple 1st price stream is worth 50 € excluding installation and work (noisy but for a workshop it can go).

Thank you for your kind response. I am in a building in the cellar and I cannot do large installations with tubes, etc.
I don't quite understand what you understand by VMC - it's a heat pump ?? But I fear of course that it consumes as much as my dehumidifier which consists of a cooling element and a fan. I know the silica bubbles but it is not very practical and in addition there is a lot of wood dust in my workshop.
0 x
there is no absolute truth in the realm of phenomena

gilgamesh