Improved Oil Burner-reduction NOx and CO-Blue Flame

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
Capt_Maloche

Improved Oil Burner-reduction NOx and CO-Blue Flame

by Capt_Maloche » 11/04/08, 09:08

THIS IS A THREAD DEDICATED TO IMPROVING OIL BURNERS, RESULTING FROM:
understanding injection water / doping motor-al-water-thermodynamic-t4883.html
DESIGNED AND PRODUCED BY YOUR SERVANT :D

The results of these tests are a drastic reduction of unburned (soot), a significant reduction in NOx, CO, and see an increase in yield heating-insulation / amelioration-burner-fuel-reduction-nox-and-co-Blue Flame-t5172-60.html # p81989

I remember that my goal is to reuse water from the combustion of fuel oil to reduce unburned specific to this type of boiler:
perfect combustion reaction GO (nitrogen is not present)
C2H16 34 + = 49 2 O32 CO2 + 34 H2O

Here is the Official Report of the mounting

The fuel being sprayed liquid, many droplets are not completely burned, or poorly, hence the large amount of soot generated by oil burners in general. more the high temperature of the flame (1800 ° C) alot product NOx.

The principle used is that of the "blue flame" burner:

GOAL REACHED April 19 2008, (See page 4)
RESULTS ACHIEVED WITH PHOTO BELOW € 8 equipment (1 new nozzle)

YOU WILL FIND BELOW THE INSTRUCTIONS, FORT PLAIN, MOUNTING:

SUMMARY: to transform a traditional burner blue flame burner:

- Reduce its nozzle sizes 2 or more if we want to increase the efficiency of the boiler (60 ° angle) and also limit T ° of smoke in 130 ° C max.
- Building the induction tube sheet or another from the template posted below and mount it back on the burner tube
- Reverse the hook bottom flame to increase the blowing pressure
- Increase the pressure of the oil pump

- Adjust the air flow for a T ° exceeds flame 950 ° C and less than 1300 ° C
Flame T ° lower than 950 ° C: CO production
T ° isupérieure flame 1300 ° C: NOx production
THERE MUST BE A MEASURING DEVICE CO

That's all !! and it gives this:

LOWERING THE FLAME T °,
- ALMOST MORE DRASTIC REDUCTION AND unburned SOOT
- INCREASE OF TRADE IN THE FIREPLACE BOILER
- IMPROVING THE COMBUSTION EFFICIENCY AND THUS SAVING FUEL
- KNOWN REDUCTION CO and NOx POLUANTS

CO divided by 9 !!
Zero VOC = 0 !!
NOx divided by 20 !!
AND MORE, CA CLEAN THE BOILER : Shock:

Exactly as do the industrial by injecting water vapor.

CHECK MEASUREMENT RESULTS HERE : heating-insulation / amelioration-burner-fuel-reduction-nox-and-co-Blue Flame-t5172-60.html # p81989

Photo mounting the tube sheet on the burner, simple right? :D (Grime is when my loose provisional assembly fell to the burner head 8) )
Developed the tube sheet:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adjustment of the "flame grip"

Here is a traditional burner head (thank you Loulou)
Red the burner tube, noted in conical end
In blue "the flame hook"

The movement of the head (including the flame holder, nozzle, electrodes ...) in the burner tube changes the air pressure before the flame holder, and to spend more or less air through the fins of the flame holder.

- Forward: + pressure, flame shorter and turbulence (what we want)
- Back - pressure, flame longer

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EXPLANATION:

the combustion of oil products are mainly CO2 and water vapor

RECALL:

The recirculation of exhaust gas allows:
- Firstly the flame temperature reduction below the threshold of 1300 ° C to no longer produce NOx
- Secondly, an increase in mixing rate (mixture) fuel / oxidant in the heart of the flame
- Free injection of water vapor from the combustion of fuel oil in the heart of the flame for the reactions below.
- the following reaction which explains the reduction of CO in the gas phase according to the reversible equation: CO + H2O <> CO2 + H2
- The following reaction which allows the elimination of soot particles, the "water gas" which is a synthesis gas produced by the action of water on carbon (carbon) or incandescent coke: H2O + C = H2 + CO
- A little bit (Minimal) of pyrolysis, steam begins its thermal decomposition (pyrolysis water) from 800 ° C: 2H²O + Energy = 2H² + O²

The temperature of the flame is not homogeneous, hotter in the center and more and more "cold" towards the outside, the "average temperature measured" on the assembly is 1000 ° C with an estimated maximum of 1600 ° C in the center (yellow flame, hence the few ppm of NOx measured) and a minimum below 900 ° C in the boundary layer (hence the few ppm of CO measured)

Edit the Capt_Maloche 09 / 06 / 2009
Now I'm here for the steam injection:

adding water vapor first (Important) of the combustion cycle spectacular pollution

in fact it is these two arch-known reactions that explain these results:
H2O + C = CO + H2 : the incandescent soot particles (the "bad burns") react with the water vapor, this requires a temperature above 950 ° C and if possible below 1300 ° C, hence the difficulties encountered by our amateur testers on all these systems

CO + H2O <> CO2 + H2 : CO from the first reaction and imperfect combustion reacts with steam to supply hydrogen; as the T ° must be greater than 950 ° C otherwise there will be excess CO

H2+2O2<>2H2O : Hydrogen produced by the first two reactions contributes to the reaction of unburnt, to maintain the explosion longer and thus increase the yield.

Basically, unburned are converted into energy before becoming :D

IMPORTANT NOTE:
the fact is also that, as the water vapor is injected at the start of the combustion cycle, the available C which has not yet reacted (and which would have reacted in the normal cycle) to the "choice", which allows the water vapor already present to act according to the first reaction

the advantage is also that the CO thus produced during the reaction is immediately transformed from the second equation !!

where mounting allows re maximum circulation,
where unburned are traditionally produced on traditional oil burner flame

On CO:
CO:
Here this undesirable gas resulting from the combustion of carbonaceous material under conditions

Specific incomplete combustion. Oxygenation of the home is insufficient to burn

completely the gas formed from the material, but the reaction is quite exothermic

to raise and maintain the temperature above 950 ° C. Carbon monoxide is formed

then preferably carbon dioxide, according to the Boudouard reaction.

The variation of this standard reaction enthalpy Delta 298 K is r H ° = 172,3 1-kJ.mol

This reaction is endothermic, it is favored by an increase in

temperature

metastability below 950 ° C

an excess of exhaust gas recirculation (CO2 H2O +) causes a decrease in T ° of the flame below 950 ° C prophetic

We must therefore address this type of burner depending on the temp of the flame, or with a measuring CO and NOx

greater than 950 ° C and less than 1300 ° C
Flame T ° lower than 950 ° C: CO production
T ° isupérieure flame 1300 ° C: NOx production

INFO:
REGISTERED TO PROCESS INPI June 2008

P. MALOCHET

TEST FIRST

here's what I tinkered ago 15 days 2h00 on my oil burner with a single sheet, My tube and adapted in diameter and made 80mm along 22cm overall:

Below is the draft of my first cut, not enough induction

T ° of operation equal (water 60 ° C) and my settings unchanged smoke rose from 110 120 ° C to ° C (meaning more energy and certainly less unburned) and my flame is now extremely light (much more than before), the metal tube becomes red (after a few seconds, sheet 10 / 10ème forces) because the combustion of the mixture starts at the tube air inlets (the flame holder right after the gills that j 'I practiced) makes louvers tube is completely open at its base and stands by 4 legs 10mm

Just after stopping the burner:

The flame still out 20 good centimeters after the tube which means that the droplets are far from being sprayed all the inner

By dint of blush, the sheet disintegrated, but only on the left side ... it will take me another material that resists 900 ° C in time

I'll reiterate a model for much of induction by doubling the surface of the tube or 113mm, like this:
I'll back the flame holder to generate a shorter flame

I try to do that in the week may be tonight :)

-------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------

Another way to complement the assembly above, preheating the oil, which does not seem to be the best solution to remove unburned particles
Last edited by Capt_Maloche the 09 / 06 / 09, 12: 37, 23 edited once.
1 x
"Consumption is similar to a search consolation, a way to fill a growing existential void. With, the key, a lot of frustration and a little guilt, increasing the environmental awareness." (Gérard Mermet)
OUCH, OUILLE, OUCH, AAHH! ^ _ ^
Capt_Maloche

by Capt_Maloche » 11/04/08, 09:27

Here is what happens with a double tube section as drawn above, the flame holder rearmost position unchanged airflow:
we do not see in the picture, but there is a beautiful pale blue halo
T ° of smoke still 120 ° C

Note also that the tube (steel sheet 10 / 10ème mm) is much less red than the previous model, protected by the induction of gas recycled goshawks of the central flame.

if I add a little air, the flame becomes completely blue, but the flame presence safety cut the fuel solenoid because the cell does not detect UV

this would require that I replace it with a model for gas burner

CONCLUSIONS:
- This arrangement allows optimal induction of gas in the home, double the surface of the burner tube for a gas flow recycled approximately equal to the flow of fresh air blown by the burner.
- No oil flow and modification of air, the flame color changes to blue, demonstration that all the liquid fuel is completely evaporated, and the unburnt soot are reduced drastically
- The recirculation of exhaust gas improves the evaporation of oil droplets

Content on Maloche :D

QUID role of water vapor from the combustion and recirculated to the flame?
0 x
"Consumption is similar to a search consolation, a way to fill a growing existential void. With, the key, a lot of frustration and a little guilt, increasing the environmental awareness." (Gérard Mermet)
Capt_Maloche

by Capt_Maloche » 11/04/08, 09:28

Manix07 wrote:Captain
The flame still out 20 good centimeters after the tube which means that the droplets are far from being sprayed all the inner

By dint of blush, the sheet disintegrated, but only on the left side ... it will take me another material that resists 900 ° C in time

For some time I thought like you, if you create a refractory crucible through which the flame is recycled and some unburned, the Sipror being a flame temperature thermal insulation should increase a lot by concentration and spray the entire fuel.
I intend to make this oven in a small aerated concrete block pierced between 80 and 100mm. Fixing and adjustments to refine.
I tinkered a bit your drawing only in order to simplify understanding.
Idea to follow.
I prepared this post this afternoon and I realize you have a long way since this morning. So happy ???

Yes it can be a good idea, I do not know if this type of material is self carrier (if it needs a frame or support) but it would suit any diameter

'Cause this assembly could be fixed in the boiler and thus facilitate the maintenance, that said it could also be simply refractory steel or a steel tube heating, 105 tube / 114mm thick 4.5mm

I do not know if you saw the picture above, but with a double section of the burner tube diameter and a peripheral opening section equal to the recycled gases, the flame length is halved.

For now, my DIY is hung on the burner tube and the burner is mounted on a hinged panel on the front of the boiler,

I'll see that with a heating mate

Of course I'm happy, I pollute less :D , and objective N ° 1 "to reduce or even eliminate the release of unburned particles into the atmosphere" is achieved ... in barely 4 hours of testing

REFLECTION: it is possible that the rise of 10 ° C flue gas temperature is due to the direct radiation reduction in the home ...
0 x
Capt_Maloche

by Capt_Maloche » 11/04/08, 09:31

jonule wrote: Capt hello, congratulations for your experiments, I am going to follow you of what not!

say see some questions:
- You did not fear that the flame is too far physically in the heater, the shifting of 22cm?

Thank you Jonule :D

No risk, this arrangement shortens half flame !!
the flame is not shifted, it is confined in the tube boosted by the recycled hot gas

so I chose a 22cm tube is that I could not ride in a longer able to close the panel : Cheesy:, A long tube of 4 5 to both the burner diameter is ideal, but for that you need to let the fixed in the home. (In my case it would be around 32cm)

jonule wrote:- Hooks you how your tube on the burner? top you fixed? you leave a space as does Andre and his burner ball (great similarities ;-) or you make holes in it? Can you re-explain your equation for calculating the diameter and the air inlets?

I made my tube from a metal plate, look at the drawing posted this before and this diagram:
The tube once "rolled" is fixed with a simple serflex by 4 legs on the tube of the burner

Developped the induction tube
Mounting the tube
The outer diameter. My burner tube is 8cm (r1 = 4cm) and S1 4² = x = 3,14 50,24 cm²
I want to make a double surface tube S2, that is S2 = 2 x S1 = 2 x 50,24 = 100,48 cm² ---> r2 = root (100,48 / 3.14) = 5.65cm
D2 = 11,3 cm diameter

it is then necessary that the surface openings for the recycled gases (induced) equals S1, this corresponds in fact to the remote mounting of the burner tube, c. to d. S2 / P2 (perimeter) in my case 100,48 / (3.14x11.3) = 2,8cm.

jonule wrote:- I think I heard that for an oil flame must adjust the air so that the flame is white, but blue + well heated.

yes, without recycling, you need a good bright flame, but hello particles ...

jonule wrote: - Heating the oil also improves the conso; you're right to work on it; good talk with you many magnetic savers to place just before the burner ;-)

I tried on my neodymium oil supply: NADA

Heat the oil is by far the best solution but poses implement and emergency control problems, ideally should be warm to the 200 ° C but no more, otherwise creation of coke.

jonule wrote:- Are you interested in a kind of vortex in the air supply / turbulence?

Why not, but the flame "catchers" supplied with the burners have been studied by the manufacturers to offer a relatively homogeneous fuel air mixture

jonule wrote:- Do you think that a nozzle end + do better spray / economy but do force the burner?

that yes, you can reduce such a size the size of your jet and increase (some, for example in 9 12bar) your oil pressure pump to spray thinner without bobo for your burner, the nozzles are designed to 10 bar (respect the flow rate and spray angle)

this is what it will recommend dailleurs with this arrangement because I think that the reduction of radiation in the boiler furnace requires slightly reduce the oil flow.
Last edited by Capt_Maloche the 06 / 06 / 08, 11: 15, 1 edited once.
0 x
fc89
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by fc89 » 11/04/08, 14:07

Capt Hello,

Not bad your experience!

You say:

this is what it will recommend dailleurs with this arrangement because I think that the reduction of radiation in the boiler furnace requires slightly reduce the oil flow.

To retrieve the radiation, then I submit this to you:
Use tempered glass tube of a kerosene stove.
Removing a portion of the metal elements.
Maybe not all, because it could end up burning unburnt.
And produce infrared
A+
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 11/04/08, 14:57

I have not followed all (nothing actually ... I'll catch up to me) but pkoi want want use of cellular concrete and not of the refractory brick?

Aerated concrete is "very" friable and I doubt that it will resist for long ... especially vibrations ...

:?:
Last edited by Christophe the 11 / 04 / 08, 15: 17, 2 edited once.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 11/04/08, 15:09

Ay I'm 1 just caught me, 1er question in the title you speak of a burner Anti Nox gold they increase with T ° flame ... which seems to contradict your findings or T ° combistion gas increases ...

Too bad I have an oil boiler but not used otherwise I would have made some good experiences ... one does not preclude the other, on the contrary (especially since I have a nozzle problem. ..)
0 x
Capt_Maloche

by Capt_Maloche » 11/04/08, 15:59

fc89 wrote:Capt Hello,

Not bad your experience!
You say:

To retrieve the radiation, then I submit this to you:
Use tempered glass tube of a kerosene stove.
Removing a portion of the metal elements.
Maybe not all, because it could end up burning unburnt.
And produce infrared
A+

it's a good idea, but a little complicated to implement, will find the right diameter :D
The goal is to save money, and after this assembly as the smoke gases exit warmer exchanger (home) must reduce the power to limit losses by the smoke, and the blows to saving energy!

Christophe wrote:Ay I'm 1 just caught me, 1er question in the title you speak of a burner Anti Nox gold they increase with T ° flame ... which seems to contradict your findings or T ° combistion gas increases ...

Too bad I have an oil boiler but not used otherwise I would have made some good experiences ... one does not preclude the other, on the contrary (especially since I have a nozzle problem. ..)

Oh yes, I understand your question: it is not the burning of T ° but that increases the T ° average gas in the boiler flue gas = + recycled gases; the result is that for the same exchange capacity of the boiler, smoke out T ° warmer, which means that there is more energy to the source

Well, the fact of recycled flue gas cooler, low oxygen drops the T ° average of the flame, as an EGR valve
Just see the color difference between the first tube my bright red mounting and 2ème one that now serves as a reference only dark red.

Jet problem? changes the : Cheesy:

yes for refractory concrete with a metal frame inside
Last edited by Capt_Maloche the 11 / 04 / 08, 16: 12, 1 edited once.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 11/04/08, 16:11

Uh I do not understand (I take the train in march ... obviously ...) or is mounting 2ieme (or 1er?)?

Anyway that is a thing to do to measure the T °: good K probe :)

For flame sensor: I think there 2 sensor type (at least): optical and ionization.
0 x
Capt_Maloche

by Capt_Maloche » 11/04/08, 16:18

Eh! should read a little, it's not a subject that is over! everything is on one page above

I just changed the text of my previous post, it is clearer now

1 Mounting: section tube equal to the burner tube:

2 mounting: dual tube section at the burner tube, gas flow recycled air flow = new

you still do not see the difference?

and for those who do not know what it's like an Oil burner:

Which tube the template is a bit before is mounted on the burner tube
Last edited by Capt_Maloche the 11 / 04 / 08, 16: 25, 1 edited once.
0 x