Window insulation problem

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
Sarbocola
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Window insulation problem

by Sarbocola » 07/12/20, 20:34

Hello,
I live on the ground floor of an HLM residence.
Despite my requests, the landlord refuses to change my old iron shutters allowing cold air to pass through.
What can I do?
Can I use transparent insulation for windows? Is it effective?
Thank you in advance for your answers.
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Window insulation problem

by izentrop » 08/12/20, 01:21

Hello,
Your best bet would be to replace the window. I had hesitated for windows from the 80s, but in fact today's double glazing with argon and a low emissivity face has 3 times less loss than the 4/6/4 before.

If the window frame is in good condition, windows will be made that will fit, reducing work. There is also aid for energy renovation, even for tenants.
So as not to get ripped off, inquire here https://www.faire.gouv.fr/
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 08/12/20, 02:54

Sarbocolo wrote:Hello,
I live on the ground floor of an HLM residence.
Despite my requests, the landlord refuses to change my old iron shutters allowing cold air to pass through.
What can I do?
Can I use transparent insulation for windows? Is it effective?
Thank you in advance for your answers.

There are several ways to view the problem.

Awning boxes
It is necessary to identify if there is an access hatch. If so, you have to dismantle it (awning raised) to see how much space you have available to put an insulation (polystyrene panel type, which must press all the way around without allowing air to pass through, and obviously be placed against the element You can complete the insulation by putting this type of extruded polystyrene panel against the box but inside (especially if the hatch is made of metal. You will then need a system for prevent any air path from entering by blocking it (if it is a strap system for raising / lowering the awning, it is a little more annoying, because it is necessary to replace and remove the cover which prevents the air path , each time you use the blind, you have to be imaginative to create a removable device that can be placed quickly, a foam such as a sponge can sometimes be sufficient)

Existing window insulation
I had the same problem when I rented a room in town.
I first made sure that the window and the window frame and seal were waterproof.
If there is no seal, one must be obtained with a hollow body in the form of a “d” (in section plane). Use a degreaser where it will be glued (the support must be spotlessly clean and smooth) then put the joint all the way around with the overlapping area at an angle. Repeat for each window.

For the window, I first made sure that the glass was sealed all the way around and I sealed off any air coie with a silicone sealant or glazier's putty on a wooden frame. I then went to a supermarket which has a flower section, they have big and long rolls of cellophane film transparent like glass. Sometimes it's free, sometimes a few euros.
Then cut with an overlap area of ​​1,5cm of margin all around and taped with yellow bodybuilder's tape (again, the application area must be impeccable). This system creates an air space that insulates well.

If the window frame is made of metal, this constitutes a thermal bridge and that can hardly be corrected without changing the whole window with another made of PVC.
1 x
Sarbocola
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Sarbocola » 08/12/20, 09:44

izentrop wrote:Hello,
Your best bet would be to replace the window. I had hesitated for windows from the 80s, but in fact today's double glazing with argon and a low emissivity face has 3 times less loss than the 4/6/4 before.

If the window frame is in good condition, windows will be made that will fit, reducing work. There is also aid for energy renovation, even for tenants.
So as not to get ripped off, inquire here https://www.faire.gouv.fr/

Hi and thank you for your feedback.
The problem is that in HLM you are not allowed to change the windows or shutters.
It is only the social landlord who can make this decision.
0 x
Sarbocola
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Sarbocola » 08/12/20, 09:48

[quote = "Obamot"] [/ quote]
Thank you for that answer.
The solutions suit me.
Thank you for this return :D :D :D
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 08/12/20, 09:53

With pleasure.

The bodybuilder's tape (3M type, but today all odds and ends have it, even sometimes Lidl) must be changed every year (with the cellophane sheets) because otherwise, the longer it fuses and the sheets exposed to UV crackle.

It is better to change them when it is still in good condition and it comes off, otherwise cleaning can take hours ...
You should never wet this type of tape, it is the humidity that destroys its properties.

If ever, show us pictures?
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 08/12/20, 12:08

Obamot wrote:If the window frame is made of metal, this constitutes a thermal bridge and that can hardly be corrected without changing the whole window with another made of PVC.
It is not because the shutters are metallic that the window is too. : roll:
There are renovation solutions without thermal bridges:
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 08/12/20, 23:21

Read again, thank you.
0 x
Sarbocola
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Sarbocola » 15/12/20, 19:11

[quote = "Obamot"] With pleasure.
/ Quote]
Hi Obamot,
I went to Casto and Leroy Merlin to buy an anti-cold booster filter but I only found anti-heat filters.
Are you sure that the film used to make the bouquets is the best solution?
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 15/12/20, 21:23

Sarbocolo wrote:
Obamot wrote:With pleasure.

Hi Obamot,
I went to Casto and Leroy Merlin to buy an anti-cold booster filter but I only found anti-heat filters.
Are you sure that the film used to make the bouquets is the best solution?
Hi ! But you don't say how this filter applies, if it's a plexiglass or just a film? And how will he hold on?

The florist's cellophane has the advantage of being free. Usually I would buy a big bunch of flower from the supermarket for my sweetheart, then tell them that I intended to pack each flower separately, but that if they gave me the cellophane wrap, I would do it myself. (be careful not to corner / crumple, because it doesn't come off, I helped them hold the film to ensure the grain ... and I got myself something round long enough to roll it up and hold it during the transport ... Be careful with the fact that these films can tend to tear when cut, if you have the misfortune of making a staircase in the section, you must trace to the right dimension with a small indelible marker, then start the cut and advance without shearing in succession, then the simple rapid advance of a very good modern chisel with a new blade, is enough to cut. Make sure that the marking is on the outside of the cut, on the scrap, otherwise it might show).

The principle is simple, you have to create an air space. the Δ ° will be determined not by the type of film, but by the thickness of the air space. However, your transparent “heat filter” film can be interesting if it is completely translucent. In this case, and although I have no data on the performance of this type of “miracle insulator” film (subject to caution given its intrinsic low thickness) it can be used for its sole function as a film creating a air space => the side supposed to “repel the heat” facing inwards since it is a question of maintaining as much heat as possible in the home.

Needless to say (and I forgot to mention it before) that it is of course necessary to tape the film inside, to absolutely prevent bad weather from touching the tape (which in this case would not hold a single day).

RTDC
0 x