Clean your radiators (central heating)

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
oli 80
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Clean your radiators (central heating)

by oli 80 » 07/12/18, 22:23

Good evening, here is a clever accessory to clean the radiators

it is homemade and there are flexible models in the trade but shorter as I use

once from above and once from below radiators because they are real nests of dust, I do not know if a subject already exists then I opened it

good night
1 x
Christophe

Re: Clean your radiators (central heating)

by Christophe » 09/12/18, 15:36

Good idea! I think 99% of people do not think about cleaning their radiators ...

Radiators clogged with dust is blocking the passage of air, so less heat exchange so a warmer boiler return so certainly a source of overconsumption ... but I would like to know how much? Some% ... 10%, 15% ????

Someone would have any idea?
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 09/12/18, 17:23

Christophe wrote:Good idea!
Radiators clogged with dust is blocking the passage of air, so less heat exchange so a warmer boiler return so certainly a source of overconsumption ... but I would like to know how much? Some% ... 10%, 15% ????
Someone would have any idea?

Uh ... In fact the more they are dirty (for this type of radiator), the less you will consume .... but the more you will curdle them below a certain outside temperature.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 09/12/18, 18:16

Is that so? The boiler return being higher, the boiler efficiency will be less good ... so overconsumption!

I am obviously talking about "equivalent comfort temperature" ...
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 09/12/18, 19:20

Christophe wrote:I am obviously talking about "equivalent comfort temperature" ...

This is what is very theoretical… .A "perfect" heating system depends essentially on the correct dimensioning of the radiators according to the geometry of the room, its exposure to the sun or to the prevailing winds.
If they become heavily dusty, it's like reducing their surface.

But in practice we rarely have a perfect system, for a suitable "average" temperature, we often have a room which is rather "too hot" or another which is considered "too cold". In this case, allowing the radiator in the "too hot" room to clog will reduce consumption.

That said, the thermostatic faucet exists ......

And boiler temperature control systems can be very different, which in my opinion prevents from drawing general conclusions.
1 x
thibr
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by thibr » 09/12/18, 19:40

there is also a radiator outlet valve to balance the radiator hydraulic network
0 x
oli 80
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by oli 80 » 09/12/18, 21:56

Good evening, you will be amazed at the amount of dust that can contain a radiator I had used a classic vacuum with bag, for a large radiator 2 bags without problems, I would have never thought that, I use this thing the

very practical and also useful for those who have a dryer to clean the location of the filter drum, but hey that 's another subject
for radiators I think that a vacuum cleaner water and dust is more appropriate because it has more capacity

good night
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 09/12/18, 22:18

sicetaitsimple wrote:If they become heavily dusty, it's like reducing their surface.

Absolutely: less heat exchange so higher return temperature, so boiler performance lower ... I do not see the problem with your idea ...

sicetaitsimple wrote:That said, the thermostatic faucet exists ......

And boiler temperature control systems can be very different, which in my opinion prevents from drawing general conclusions.

Uh for me the thermostatic valve is automatically (therefore included "upstream" of my remark)!

This is a prerequisite for any other energy saving on the heating network!

So indeed, it is useless to clean a radiator without thermoregulation! : Cheesy:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 09/12/18, 22:20

thibr wrote:there is also a radiator outlet valve to balance the radiator hydraulic network

Yes totally and I think that few installers know how to balance a network properly ... do they just ????

In the non collective, I have a doubt ...
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 09/12/18, 23:48

Christophe wrote:Is that so? The boiler return being higher, the boiler efficiency will be less good ... so overconsumption!
I am obviously talking about "equivalent comfort temperature" ...
It is as if the radiators deliver a lower thermal power. The boiler will compensate in time to reach the setpoint, but the energy consumed will be about the same. Only when the outside temperature is low and the insulation is poor, the starting temperature will have to increase and in this case, there will be overconsumption for a condensing boiler.
0 x

Back to "Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ..."