Expenses heating ??

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
DESCOTE
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Expenses heating ??

by DESCOTE » 15/06/17, 15:58

Hi everybody !

I come to you for a heating problem. I live in the same house for more than 30 years and we see that the electricity bill goes up, especially in recent years. By searching the web, we found an article that talks about how to heat its parts with a electric heater. They say it is advisable to heat to 19 degrees. Personally, it heats to 20 degrees. We think that our electric radiators are a bit old (never changed), which could explain our expenses in electricity.

I come to my questions. Does it come from our radiators? Or rather an isolation problem? Something else ?

Thank you in advance : Wink: !!!
0 x
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Heating expenses ??

by Gaston » 15/06/17, 16:09

An electric radiator does not consume more as it gets older.

Eventually, one could imagine that the thermostat is less precise and that the temperature control is hurting, but a simple thermometer makes it easy to know.

An increase in the bill can have several causes:
  • Colder outside temperature
  • Aging insulation (according to the technique used)
  • Occupation of the house more often
  • Increase in the EDF tariff (if the invoice is in €, not in kWh : Mrgreen: )

It should also be certain that it is the heating that is responsible and no other changes (bigger TV, computer more often lit, ...). In 30 years, many habits have changed ...

What if it is "just" to advertise "revolutionary" radiators (see the link above) : Evil:
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Heating expenses ??

by chatelot16 » 18/06/17, 09:57

The output of any electric radiator is always 100% even the oldest and whatever the wear

Radiator advertisements consuming less for the same heat are a lie

Some radiators may still be economical, provided that the temperature can be reduced: for example, radiant infrared radiator, allowing a certain comfort at a lower temperature: the yield is not better, but at 15 ° Ambient + infrared consumes less than 20 ° ambient

If one does not choose to lower the temperature there is no economy to do

Be wary also of the VMC has flow too strong! In many old housing the lack of sealing provide sufficient ventilation: the CMV makes a supplementary ventilation which is a waste

The word Ventilation Mecanique Controlled is a lie: it is rather uncontrollable

If the ventilation was controllable it would often be seen that the leakage rate increases with the temperature difference between outside and inside: conclusion the VMC is useful when it is not cold, and becomes useless when it is cold and the leaks are sufficient ventilate

It must also be seen that the more it is cold outside the more the difference of temperature makes dry the inside, so a lower ventilation flow is enough ... the VMC simple has constant flow are wastes of heat
0 x

Back to "Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ..."