Firewood

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Firewood

by moinsdewatt » 05/11/16, 13:38

The secrets to getting "good" firewood

By Valérie Lejeune on 04/11/2016 Le Figaro

Some stacks of wood are real works of art. Photo: Morten AAS

A worldwide bookstore success, Man and Wood reveals all the secrets of the Scandinavian method. In particular drying, crucial step to obtain a good fire.

"When a white man returns his wood, winter promises to be severe," says the Indian of the joke. Whether you girdle your forehead with feathers or hair, stocking up on logs becomes, in these times of frost, a gesture that is both elegant and useful. In The Man and the Wood, a worldwide bookshop success, the Norwegian Lars Mytting very nicely exposes "the secrets of the Scandinavian method". Clearly, everything a human should know about the god of fire and his acolyte wood.

Below 20%

Finding it, cutting it down, cutting it, splitting it, transporting it, storing it are the preambles to an absolutely essential chapter in this area: drying. With wet wood, chimney that snores, stove in a bad mood, and quidam transi. This shows the importance of the operation consisting, during the spring and summer months, of eliminating the maximum amount of water cut from the precious fuel cut at the end of winter. Because for the wood to burn properly, its humidity level (easily measurable with a hygrometer) must drop below 20%.

Authentic work of art

The weapon of choice for trapper trainees, the pile, the drying place par excellence, can be circular, low, high, on the wall, square, in basket, in beehive. And take all the looks of an authentic work of art as shown in the photos we publish with this article. Installed in the garden, she will creak there all summer and will be put away at the stake before the wind comes and we sit by the fireplace to read Build a fire, by Jack London, at the corner of hers.

The Man and the Wood, by Lars Mytting, Gaïa Éditions, 240 p., 24 €.

http://www.lefigaro.fr/jardin/2016/11/0 ... uffage.php
0 x
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Firewood

by moinsdewatt » 05/11/16, 13:39

Here is a nice log storage!

1 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 06/11/16, 14:38

Wood is a very bad source of heat, if we consider that, as everyone knows, the tree accumulates carbonaceous substances thanks to solar energy, but contains a lot of water, which gives a very poor balance on a theoretical level and in practice almost impossible to use it in heating in our conventional devices.
To achieve a satisfactory result, it is still necessary to add solar energy to evacuate the water it contains. First the intracellular water, which gives the wood "dried out", then the water contained in the cells, in order to obtain a wood with a humidity rate reduced to that of the atmosphere (which is still very far from the anhydrous state).

The photo below shows the mathematical expression of the reduction in cell volume, could you say why a slit of this particular and characteristic form is formed?
DSCF0200.JPG
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 06/11/16, 18:21

I add another question: why, in your opinion, this log washer does it split in the lower part of the photo? Is it by chance? 8)
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 07/11/16, 19:13

I noticed that my questions are generally not very successful ... However, they do not contain any traps (or so only good guys! : Wink: ).

Okay, I'll answer myself ... : roll:
Some preliminary reminders. It is an oak disc and as with all trees, it is made up of cells arranged concentrically around the center; it is necessary to imagine (seen in elevation) very fine vertical tubes stacked so as to constitute a large tube called "trunk". Knowing that the cell binding is very strong in this vertical plane and much weaker laterally.
During drying, the volume occupied by the sap water disappears and tensions appear; they will cause the appearance of a longitudinal slit * which will be proportional to the number of cells in each ring layer and since the progression of this number is linear, the resulting slit will also be linear.
For the second question, we must carefully observe the photo to realize that the washer is much thicker at the top, therefore more resistant: it is therefore logical that the slot appears on the other side, where the accumulation is expressed tensions.

* Remember that in the other direction it is much more solid and that a shortening of the length generates only few constraints, since all the "pipes" are subjected to the same dimensional variation.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 07/11/16, 19:29

Ahmed wrote:Wood is a very bad source of heat, if we consider that, as everyone knows, the tree accumulates carbonaceous substances thanks to solar energy, but contains a lot of water, which gives a very poor balance on a theoretical level and in practice almost impossible to use it in heating in our conventional devices.

Why this but ? A et would have been more appropriate unless ... do you consider water as a fuel? : Mrgreen:
0 x
yves35
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by yves35 » 07/11/16, 19:34

Good evening,

and to add a layer, you could finish your sentences:
and in practice almost impossible to use it for heating in our conventional devices ... without doing it dryr : Cheesy:

yves
0 x
ignored: obamot, janic, guygadebois... air, air. We are not (yet) on Qanon Ben, if in fact
Christophe

by Christophe » 07/11/16, 19:35

Ahmed wrote:During drying, the volume occupied by the sap water disappears and tensions appear; they will cause the appearance of a longitudinal slit * which will be proportional to the number of cells in each ring layer and since the progression of this number is linear, the resulting slit will also be linear.

Uh in my opinion it's more a radial crack than a longitudinal one ... :?: :?: :?:

And not understand what you mean with linearity?
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 07/11/16, 19:51

Yes, seen from above the slot is radial, but it also goes from bottom to top, longitudinally ... but I think we agree ... 8)

I speak of linearity (maybe it is not the appropriate term?) Because each concentric layer of cells sees its number increasing regularly, so the value of the shrinkage also increases (since each cell and intercellular space shrinks identically ). I do not know if it's clear?
0 x
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by moinsdewatt » 07/11/16, 21:12

Ahmed wrote:Wood is a very bad source of heat, if we consider that, as everyone knows, the tree accumulates carbonaceous substances thanks to solar energy, but contains a lot of water, which gives a very poor balance on a theoretical level and in practice almost impossible to use it in heating in our conventional devices.

:?:
Do you reread yourself sometimes?

People are not stupid enough to burn green wood in their chimney or better, wood stove.

Normally dry wood is 4 to 4.5 kw.h per kilo.

The calorific value of firewood depends above all on its moisture content, the essence of the tree from which it comes being less important in this respect30,28. "It is the densest woods, which produce the most heat at equal weight".
The best energy efficiency of a gasoline is obtained at a humidity rate lower than 20%. Indeed, 1 kg of wood at 50% humidity gives off 2 kWh, at 20% 4 kWh.

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bois_%C3% ... alorifique

see the table of calorific energies according to species in the link indicated.
0 x