Test tightness pipes central heating WITHOUT radiators

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
DC
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Test tightness pipes central heating WITHOUT radiators

by DC » 01/08/16, 02:43

Hello,

In order to test the tightness of the many solders on the copper pipes of my central heating installation, is it possible to fill them GLUTEN fill the radiators if I connect the start of the hot water line to the boiler supply line by a piece of garden hose and clamps to clamp and that I plug the end of the line back (warm water)?

Indeed, if I close all the thermostatic radiator valves, the air that is trapped in it should prevent the water from rushing through the connection to the warm water line so that I will not have wasted the volume of water corresponding to the sum of the radiators (it will be necessary then empty everything). No ?

All of the pipes will be subjected to the pressure of the distribution network, which is very much higher, I believe, than the pressure existing in the pipe of a central heating system (how much bar?) And I could thus update any leaks to the connections and remedy after purging.

Thank you for your support ! : Wink:
0 x
Christophe

Re: Test tightness pipes central heating WITHOUT radiators

by Christophe » 01/08/16, 11:36

I do not understand why you do not want to fill the radiators: the radiator tightness test will have to be done anyway afterwards ... if it is to save a few tens of L of water I do not think it's worth it.

The thermostatic valves close only the entrance of a radiator, the air contained in the radiators will therefore be compressed to reach a balance: there will be water in the radiators in all cases.

Then on some (bad) installations, some radiators are in series (it's not great but it still exists) so impossible to fill part of the circuit if a radiator is closed ...

As for the pressure to put, here is the formula used by the pros: heating-insulation / vase-and-boom-tuning-of-the-pressure-and-mounting-t9118.html
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Test tightness pipes central heating WITHOUT radiators

by Ahmed » 02/08/16, 20:20

I agree with the answer of Christophe, moreover I doubt the relevance of a test to a pressure definitely higher than the normal pressure of service: this is justified only to test a resistance of a container subjected permanently to a pressure causing a real danger if there is a break, which is not the case of a central heating circuit.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."