Wet wall problem

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
cortejuan
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

Wet wall problem

by cortejuan » 03/03/14, 09:38

Hello,

here is a very classic problem of humidity.

I renovate my stone house dating from Methuselah. I attack my entrance and the stairway. Behind this one, I have a piece of wall which gives on the outside (with the neighbor). It is very wet and since 30 years, I solved the problem with a dehumidifier. It costs me money and it's not environmentally friendly ...

As I renovate and I go all dressed in old-style woodwork, I have to find a solution to remove this moisture.

What I propose to do is to cover this wall (2,7m max height x 1,8m) of an insulating panel / plasterboard on which will be fixed my woodwork. My problem is that I enclose the moisture behind the insulation. Is there another smarter solution?

I'm waiting for your suggestions.

cordially
0 x
Aumicron
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Aumicron » 04/03/14, 09:40

Your solution will certainly cause disorders in time at the wall and / or the placo / insulator and / or the woodwork.

An additional solution that is far from perfect but that regulates the moisture pb is to ventilate the air gap between wall and insulation.
0 x
To argue.
Christophe

by Christophe » 04/03/14, 09:57

If it is condensation water, isolating will remove it (be careful it can happen elsewhere ... often the case when we isolate a part of a house: other thermal bridges may appear)

In this case, just make sure that when the work is done, the wall is dry ...

If it is seepage water or capillary rise then the problem is more delicate.

The ventilated air gap can be a solution but greatly reduces the effectiveness of the insulation that you will put in place.

Otherwise rather than using a sandwich panel with zero vapor and water permeability, I think you can use a "breathable" material such as cellular concrete such as Multipor (insulating and non-supporting cellular concrete).

Here is a feedback https://www.econologie.com/forums/isolation- ... 10693.html

This requires masonry so longer work ...
0 x
cortejuan
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by cortejuan » 04/03/14, 19:53

Hi,

thank you for the comments and the risks mentioned that I share. The idea of ​​multipor seems to me the best idea, I made a tour on the web and it seems the right idea. The other (insulation + placo) is the alternative but with air gap so in this case, I would keep my dehumidifier but my wall would be dry.

to return to the source, it seems original infiltration because if it was condensation, my dehumidifier would get over quickly and especially in summer. This is not the case, in summer we draw more than one liter of water a day ...

That said, the classic materials shops do not seem to know the multipor, an idea to find it?

cordially
0 x
Aumicron
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Aumicron » 05/03/14, 09:32

In the case of an infiltration, I fear that the Multipor does not bring much.

Regarding ventilation of the air space in bad season, we must try to reduce losses by using heated air (for example, air attic between 11h and 16h ...).
0 x
To argue.
Christophe

by Christophe » 05/03/14, 10:13

Yes before treating the interior it is necessary to treat the source of humidity ... uh how is (state) the wall external side?

To find multipor you have to go to a hardware store for pro like bigmat or gedimat ... if there is not near your home to see you delivered ...
0 x
cortejuan
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by cortejuan » 05/03/14, 13:34

Hello,

the wall at the neighbor's, I do not know anything about it, the house is unoccupied for years and the owners, rarely there. That said, when they come I will ask them to let me see the state of the wall. It is not visible, hidden by a shed.

I went around the gedimat and bigmat via internet but I think I have to go with my little legs.

For orders by correspondence, as I need very little, I am not sure that I would deliver less than one pallet.

That said, if I can not find one, I will use classic siporex. It's heavier and much less insulating, but ...

Last question: solutions by resin injection to block the lifts, it is accessible to amateurs?

cordially
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 05/03/14, 22:13

Hello,

Ask them if you can go to their garden to see ... anyway, they have as much to gain as you on this site!

Yes for delivery I fear the same thing ...

Resin injections are quite expensive, I have seen "amateur" kits in brico (150 to 200 € anyway I think) ... I don't know if they are very effective.

Look maybe first if it's not a leak on the shed ...

A review of the condition of the wall will tell you quickly ...
0 x
cortejuan
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by cortejuan » 05/03/14, 22:43

Hi,

thank you Christophe for your advice, as soon as I see the neighbors, I will test the wall.

On the multipor side, I contacted the Ytong box who told me that the solution was ideal for me. But there is a but, the product is still in development and little demand, I mentioned the competition palco / polystyrene sandwiches. the brave man sighed, confirming that they were not the weight in front of these products effective and much cheaper. In short, no one in my area sells this product and the box I contacted (outside my area) told me she could order me but not less than a palette ...

So, I turn to slabs of classic ytong cellular concrete (also perspiring). Ytong's guy suggests me to buy rather thick blocks and cross them in the thickness because their density (350 kg / m3) is intermediate between that of multipor (115) and that of thin slabs (500 ).

That's where I am.

good night
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 05/03/14, 23:44

cortejuan wrote:On the multipor side, I contacted the Ytong box who told me that the solution was ideal for me.

Perfect? At this point? Ahhh what am I good lol : Mrgreen:

cortejuan wrote:But there is a but, the product is still in development and little demand, I mentioned the competition palco / polystyrene sandwiches. the brave man sighed, confirming that they were not the weight in front of these products effective and much cheaper. In short, no one in my area sells this product and the box I contacted (outside my area) told me she could order me but not less than a palette ...

Thank you for this return, you can perhaps put a word in the subject on the Multipor: https://www.econologie.com/forums/isolation- ... 10693.html

cortejuan wrote:So, I turn to slabs of classic ytong cellular concrete (also perspiring). Ytong's guy suggests me to buy rather thick blocks and cross them in the thickness because their density (350 kg / m3) is intermediate between that of multipor (115) and that of thin slabs (500 ).

That's where I am.

good night

Absolutely, take the lightest Ytong!

Another project that has progressed well :) Thank you forum (please advertise!)!
0 x